Souhan & Reusse: "Administration Desperate to Fire Brewster"

Doogie,

I am wondering in all of D1 sports, how many AD / Head coach relationships are not exactly as chummy as they were the day the head coach was hired? I am going to flat out tell you that Maturi and J Robinson do not have a chummy relationship. I have been in the room with both of them - coldly professional would be a generous description of their interaction. If the job was open, and J interviewed, there is no way in hell Maturi hires him. So, I J on the firing line too?

With regards to the Reusse Tweet. Maturi was pissed as he felt it was unprofessional. Frankly, I agree. From what I heard, Maturi was pretty blunt to Brewster about it. Have you seen it happen again? That's what I mean - things get addressed and these guys MOVE ON.

This is where you lose me. Using words like "fractured", a pretty blunt word to describe a relationship, only then to qualify it as "different from the date he was hired" real shows a bias in your opinion of the situation. Have you talked to either Brewster or Maturi about their relationship? What comments have they made that suggests "fractured"? I follow the program very closely (media, booster, and internal contact) and I have never heard anyone even suggest "fractured". Who has said that to you? Or, are you just expressing an opinion? Because the tone of you writing suggests an investigative reporting type perspective rather than an opinion columnist view.

Fractured might've been too strong ... that's why I clarified three words later ... Do you know why he was blunt to Brewster? There's a little bit more to that story ... and on J, I think he's built up a bit more equity ... on the last question, I am told to provide my opinion, which I do, and I do so, hopefully, from an informed perspective.

I think that Maturi is simply following what I see to be the AD mantra of communication regarding their coaches - we evaluate programs at the end of the season. He has been quoted multiple times on this. He has also said multiple times that coaches are evaluated on more than wins and losses.

To say anything else seems to just fuel the media machine. Could you imagine Notre Dame's AD saying anything else regarding Charlie Weis right now?

I think Maturi learned from the Monson fiasco and is much more reserved in his media comments - which I personally think is a good thing.

The Notre Dame AD did say that Weis is coming back to South Bend after the Stanford game and not staying in Cali to recruit (which was the original plan). So now it is believed Weis will be let go after this week. It's the wins and losses part the doesn't make it sound good for Brew in my opinion. If you went by record I don't think you could think about firing Brew.

Is the University still paying Mason and Dunbar? If yes, how many years remain on their contracts? Thanks

Threads like these are the reason the big box that the Internet lives in should be burned.

How would you describe their relationship? I'm looking for a honest answer and I'm not try to be a smart ass in any way. You are able to admit that there has been a few issues which makes me think you can be objective.

This is my perspective on what I have seen and heard - I think their relationship is solid.

I think Maturi was shocked at the negative feedback Brewster initially received for talking up the program (what is a new coach suppose to do?) and was disappointed in how Brewster handled that negative feedback.

He is very pleased with Brewster and his coaches commitment to getting the players to get their class room work done. (I have heard this directly) He is also pleased that Brewster holds his players accountable for their actions. (this has been a big institutional change for which I applaud Maturi for instilling) You may argue that Brewster's punishment does not fit the crime - but there are actions taken on many levels - from missing class to have late work turned in - that never get reported. There is more accountability.

The only grumble that I have ever heard attributed to Maturi (from a high $$$ supporter), is the frustration that Brewster has changed offense philosophy / offensive coordinators too often to build a foundation. Brewster sold Maturi on a 4 year plan to be competitive. Brewster has followed that plan with the exception of developing an offensive identity. Maturi was not happy paying off Dunbar and sat with disappointment when the offense stalled at the end of the year.

But that is not going to get Brewster fired. It will result in no extension which, I am afraid, will negatively effect recruiting. If Brewster has a good year, he will get extended next fall.

This is my perspective on what I have seen and heard - I think their relationship is solid.

I think Maturi was shocked at the negative feedback Brewster initially received for talking up the program (what is a new coach suppose to do?) and was disappointed in how Brewster handled that negative feedback.

He is very pleased with Brewster and his coaches commitment to getting the players to get their class room work done. (I have heard this directly) He is also pleased that Brewster holds his players accountable for their actions. (this has been a big institutional change for which I applaud Maturi for instilling) You may argue that Brewster's punishment does not fit the crime - but there are actions taken on many levels - from missing class to have late work turned in - that never get reported. There is more accountability.

The only grumble that I have ever heard attributed to Maturi (from a high $$$ supporter), is the frustration that Brewster has changed offense philosophy / offensive coordinators too often to build a foundation. Brewster sold Maturi on a 4 year plan to be competitive. Brewster has followed that plan with the exception of developing an offensive identity. Maturi was not happy paying off Dunbar and sat with disappointment when the offense stalled at the end of the year.

But that is not going to get Brewster fired. It will result in no extension which, I am afraid, will negatively effect recruiting. If Brewster has a good year, he will get extended next fall.

Thank You. I think most people are upset about the direction or lack of with the offense. Hopefully, Brew and Fisch can make some strides before the Bowl game so we can have something to build on for next year. I would script at least one set of downs just for Gray.

They've been on a campaign. They are the smoke, and they're hoping for a fire. I've been watching this develop the whole year. They are highly predictable and transparent.

For Ruesse he knows he can't go wrong. There are only two outcomes. The coach is canned and he can celebrate being the first to say it. Or Brewster starts winning and ruesse comes out with a "I gotta hand it to him" story and all is forgiven in the euphoria. His odds are good, who was the last gopher coach that wasn't fired?

The gophers are .500, 6-6, 3-5 in the Big Ten. Do they go this nuts on the Vikings if they are 8-8?

if the vikings went 8-8 this year you can bet your life the local media would be calling for chilly's head. who are you kidding?

In regard to speculation on J Robinson's and Maturi's relationship, does J Robinson like anyone? Just kidding really (so don't come looking for me and stick me in a pretzel lock J), but Maturi is in charge of the entire athletic department including womens' athletics and J is pretty much death on womens' athletics and the whole Title IX thing. It would be hard not to believe that doesn't cause some friction.

I'm all for giving Brewster one more year (at least). Fire him now and we're pretty much the University of Indiana football program for quite awhile.

STADIUM STADIUM STADIUM

2006 is when the stadium bill finally got pulled, kicking and screaming, through the Legislature. In order to facilitate this, he needed to give off the perception of program stability.

However, on the afternoon of December 31, 2006, he had no such perceptions to uphold when the call came from Eastcliffe.

Firing Brewster before November 27, 2011 would be the worst thing that could happen to this program.

And ditto with Monson, even though it is a different sport, giving a buyout to Monson, while asking for $$$ from the state would have killed the stadium.

My opinion and just mine, we only let these two buffoons annoy us because we do not like the perspective that they have on the team. They would revel in the fact that Brewster would lose this job until they realized that who would they now pick on. They would then find the next coach would have some flaw and be all over him.

I used to listen to Doogie and he seemed level headed on the radio, but I believe that in his desire to be one of the boys he has become stilted in his writing. He is a wannabe.

This entire discussion explains why we will NEVER have a good program. We have the media tearing it up from the A.D all the way down, we apparently have rich d-bag alums that voice their uneducated opinions about what the next step is, all the while half of the fan base is stupid enough to be taken in by it. I do not live in the area, what station could I turn it to to actually listen to unbiased, confirmed, somewhat positive gopher football news? We are Minnesota for gods sakes not Michigan or Ohio State. I live in the heart of Tide and Tiger country and do not hear this negative crap from the local media about their team. Is it something in the water that turns everyone into a pessimistic twit up there?

if the vikings went 8-8 this year you can bet your life the local media would be calling for chilly's head. who are you kidding?

If the Vikings manage to lose 7 of their last 6 games, I think the criticism would be well-deserved. But if anyone's capable of it, Childress is.

Souhan and Reusse are both provocateurs - it's their thing, their badge, their ID.

Brew has next year (and probably the year after that) to light a fire under the offense. The issue is if and when he gets an extension.

For Ruesse he knows he can't go wrong. There are only two outcomes. The coach is canned and he can celebrate being the first to say it. Or Brewster starts winning and ruesse comes out with a "I gotta hand it to him" story and all is forgiven in the euphoria. His odds are good, who was the last gopher coach that wasn't fired?

This thread is dumpster-worhty at this point.

But I must register my disagreement with the above. Reusse rarely (if ever) talks the way he did this morning on the Strib site. He was not harping and he was not gossiping.

Super. It will also be awesome when Brewster goes out to talk to local recruits and this has blown up everywhere.

This madness has got to stop. A 3rd year coach in his first head coaching gig... you don't fire him for going .500.

He's not being fired because he went .500. He's being fired because he went beyond his authority to get things done such as fire Dunbar when the AD said no go. He's an egomaniac. The guy has made some cheesey statements that the smarter higher ups at the U don't like. He appeals to some but not many. I liked his enthusiasm at first and his recruiting but his bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# was spread too far. Doogie is right when he says the firing of Brewster is probably being orchestrated by other individuals than Maturi, but from what I've heard Maturi will have no issue if he is gone.

He's not being fired because he went .500. He's being fired because he went beyond his authority to get things done such as fire Dunbar when the AD said no go. He's an egomaniac. The guy has made some cheesey statements that the smarter higher ups at the U don't like. He appeals to some but not many. I liked his enthusiasm at first and his recruiting but his bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# was spread too far. Doogie is right when he says the firing of Brewster is probably being orchestrated by other individuals than Maturi, but from what I've heard Maturi will have no issue if he is gone.

If they fired every Head Coach because they're "an egomaniac", went beyond their authority or because their "bull*$^!# was spread to far" there wouldn't be a D-1 or Pro Football Head Coach left in the entire United States !:horse::horse::horse:

Don't you think you are getting a little ahead of what is happening here? NO ONE knows if he is getting fired or not. Personally I believe he will be given at least another year.

So I got home from the bar, a little drunk and started reading this thread. FINALLY got to the last page and I'm completely sober but wishing I wasn't. Excellent gossip guys, great job. Get nice.

IMO, Brewster pretty much has one more year to prove himself as a good head coach...the administration won't go into a 5th year with a lame duck coach as that is worse for recruiting than firing a guy and starting over.

I despise Brewster and think he's a snake oil salesman...he can recruit but he is an awful, awful head coach. With that said, short of an epic blowout to their bowl opponent (55-0 type) he really shouldn't be fired yet.

Doesn't mean that Maturi and the U's Prez can't sit down and read him the riot act that next year must show marked improvement on the field or else.

I also think if Brewster is fired Maturi needs to go as well in a two-for-one...Maturi hired Brew and Maturi is rather inept as well...might as well clean out the athletic department and get a new AD.

I fail to see where Brewster is this awful head coach....I think you guys are forgetting alot of the crap that went along with Mason and his lack of sideline coaching. Mason's second halfs were horrible. How many teams came back from 2-3 touchdowns. How many bad calls did we see Mason complaining to officials about? What about the total lack of swagger anywhere near the Gophers sideline?

I just don't get how many conclusions people are making in regards to Brewster after only his 3rd season especially how far this team has come since his first season. His defense was unwatchable that year and now look at it. Defense wins championships.

Get a friggin perspective...Go lookup other 3rd year coaches and see how their Junior year is working out for them. Dennis Erickson, Steve Kragthorpe, Tom O'Brien....how is Bobby Petrino doing at Arkansas? Mangini at Kansas (with Reesing)?

Has Brewster made mistakes, absolutly......but I see dumping Dunbar and Meyer as adjusting to make up for them. I bet if he had the chance to do it all over again he would have put in an offense similar to what we are seeing now with Fisch that would have been much closer to what Browning was doing. Look at what Withers has done at UNC. Maybe another year we would have their defense? Brew thought Roof would stick around (but Auburn paid him much more). Promoting Lee as co-defensive coordinator needed to be done to retain him and I believe they have done a great job. Losing Decker hurt. How would Wisconsin look without Clay? We all see what became of Oklahoma after losing Bradford.

Let's just chill out. I'm excited. I'm excited to see all the guys that we redshirted last year....this is going to give us a huge amount of depth.

I'm not one to pile on, but

the last time a friend of mine breached the subject, Mason was gone within a couple weeks. He has basically said that there would not be any backlash if it happened. I believe it will be up to Maturi and Bruininks. If they believe he is the best they can do at this point, he stays. As has been pointed out before, if they can find a better replacement, he goes.

Some have said that it would cost the U in the neighborhood of $800,000 to payout his contract. That is not the case. Most of that is for appearances he makes (I've seen the contract).

I didn't read the entire thread, so I may be repeating some of what has already been said.

One more thing

I have chastised both Doogie and Reusse for hack journalism. On this subject they are correct.

Kill from Northern Illinois has been mentioned.

I fail to see where Brewster is this awful head coach....I think you guys are forgetting alot of the crap that went along with Mason and his lack of sideline coaching. Mason's second halfs were horrible. How many teams came back from 2-3 touchdowns. How many bad calls did we see Mason complaining to officials about? What about the total lack of swagger anywhere near the Gophers sideline?

I just don't get how many conclusions people are making in regards to Brewster after only his 3rd season especially how far this team has come since his first season. His defense was unwatchable that year and now look at it. Defense wins championships.

Get a friggin perspective...Go lookup other 3rd year coaches and see how their Junior year is working out for them. Dennis Erickson, Steve Kragthorpe, Tom O'Brien....how is Bobby Petrino doing at Arkansas? Mangini at Kansas (with Reesing)?

Has Brewster made mistakes, absolutly......but I see dumping Dunbar and Meyer as adjusting to make up for them. I bet if he had the chance to do it all over again he would have put in an offense similar to what we are seeing now with Fisch that would have been much closer to what Browning was doing. Look at what Withers has done at UNC. Maybe another year we would have their defense? Brew thought Roof would stick around (but Auburn paid him much more). Promoting Lee as co-defensive coordinator needed to be done to retain him and I believe they have done a great job. Losing Decker hurt. How would Wisconsin look without Clay? We all see what became of Oklahoma after losing Bradford.

Let's just chill out. I'm excited. I'm excited to see all the guys that we redshirted last year....this is going to give us a huge amount of depth.

Most of us remember Mason's poor in game coaching and are not setting Mason up as the standard for Brew to live up to. People need to stop bringing Mason's name up.

Play calling, game management, the constant shuffling of ass't coaches, the lack of development from his recruits...shall I continue? The game management is terrible and very disorganized...under Mason you knew what you would get. I wasn't the biggest Mason defender and understood that after 10 years he needed to go because he was content with 7-5 seasons and recruited and coached to mediocrity. With that said, Brewster's sideline is arguably one of the more disorganized setups in the Big 10. A third year coach should know well enough what to run in certain situations and not have to burn two timeouts consecutively against a FCS school.

Most, if not all, of that defensive front 7 were essentially Mason recruits.

Kragthorpe took over a BCS team at Louisville and has driven them into the Big East basement in a very short time. He's probably gone at season's end.

Petrino has a bowl caliber team, one that could go .500 in a very tough conference.

Losing Decker hurt.

Offensively, we struggled mightily BEFORE Decker got hurt. Most here don't realize that the Gophers were in the bottom third of offense in FBS when Weber was chucking 10 passes to Decker in triple coverage per game.

I have chastised both Doogie and Reusse for hack journalism. On this subject they are correct.

Kill from Northern Illinois has been mentioned.

If they're going to go after a MAC coach go after Al Golden at Temple. Kill's a good coach but it's not a 'sizzle' hire. Golden is going to be snapped up by a BCS level school relatively soon...IF the Gophers make a move Golden would be a better choice to snap up. The job he did to turn the worst FBS program in the country into a competitive program in three years (they lost 4 games last year by 4 or less in going 5-7) and into a winner in four is remarkable.

Top Bottom