Souhan & Reusse: "Administration Desperate to Fire Brewster"

Governor Sibley

Section 109 Row 21
Reaction score
Very strong, very confident, very unequivocal remarks from S&R on today's Strib site.

"They know he has to be fired and that he will be fired, but they just don't have the guts to do it now."

I paraphrase. Wow.

The administration has no business sending these signals.

fwiw, Joel Maturi replied to my email yesterday saying he thinks Brewster deserves more time to show what he can do. He also replied similarly to another poster across the street at GI.

I just listened to the spot and thought the same thing. People can say what they want about the two columnists, but where there is smoke there is fire. We may officially have a lame duck coach on our hands.

Do you really believe him? Do you think you would get any other response?

This is a good point. What else can he say? And, frankly, more time could mean 5 more weeks.

They're a couple of clowns, everybody knows how they feel about Brewster. If Maturi or the administration wanted Brew out he'd be gone. The thought that they don't have the guts to fire him is ludicrous. Why the Strib even gives these idiots a format like that is beyond me.

If that's what they wanna do, then I hope they realize how damaging it could potentially be. The payoff could be great, but firing coaches who have shown some improvement after three years is a very dangerous proposition. You know other potential coaches will be watching, and may be scared away by the fact that a school would move that quickly on someone, especially a coach who has actually shown improvement every year, has recruited pretty well for the area, and has really at least ignited a little excitement in the program despite all the negativity surrounding it. To fire him now....I just don't like the way that looks.

And if they were to proceed with this, which I'm actually doubting but just going along with the story, then he better have some pretty darn good replacements on the docket, I mean fully proven head coaches who have a great track record. Don't fire Brewster and then hand the reigns to some hot shot coordinator and let him have his first head coaching job here as well.

Brewster will be here until 1 of 2 things happen. He has a bad year in 2010 or a no brainer coach shows interest in the job.

The thought that they don't have the guts to fire him is ludicrous. QUOTE]

Dan Monson disagrees with you.
Thank you for making my point, they wanted Monson fired and he was fired. If they wanted Brew fired, he'd be fired. Please don't put any credence in what these two clowns have to say.

I just listened to the spot and thought the same thing. People can say what they want about the two columnists, but where there is smoke there is fire. We may officially have a lame duck coach on our hands.

"Where there's smoke there's fire" but not necessarily a blaze!

All these guys have to do is find some disgruntled people in the Administration which considering Brewster's record and personality, wouldn't be hard to do. Then they run with it. There were plenty of people "in the Administration" who wanted Mason fired after he went begging for the Ohio State job and THAT didn't happen.

How long did Monson and Wacker last beyond the time many media members said they were locks to be fired!:eek:

Heck, if you went by "sources in the Administration" Chris Voeltz and Jay Robinson would both have been short-termers! Nearly everybody over there wanted those two gone at oe time or another.

No, those dbags are engaging in possible, but not entirely wishful thinking. As are a lot of guys around here.:eek:

The only thing that would make me think this is possible is if there is a big name coach (currently not working or on the chopping block) who is clearly available and would take the job.

One other note, if you're not fond of the Star Tribune, Mr. Ruesse or Souhan DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK!

If none of those things apply go ahead.

I don't want him fired. Souhan also said after the brief comments that he wished the story would go away. Outside of the Vikings though, what other sports stories are there right now? Hopefully the Gophers do well against Butler and take some of the focus off the Football team.

Listened to Barreiro yesterday and he mentioned something about the concensus being that the U didn't want to pay out his 800,000 buy out. I broke out in laughter. 800,000 is popcicle sticks. Just goes to show these guys are talking out of their ass. If the UofM wanted Brewster gone he would be gone.

Brewster will be here 2 more seasons AT LEAST! He has done NOTHING to warrant being let go.

The only thing that would make me think this is possible is if there is a big name coach (currently not working or on the chopping block) who is clearly available and would take the job.

I've heard that Scott Linehan and Tressman would take the job.

I love this caption under their little video:

"Patrick and Jim talk about Mauer, Favre, why Gophers coach Tim Brewster isn't canned yet and how they wish you, the fans, were a bit smarter"

LOL!!!!!

One can legitimately gripe about Souhan and Reusse for a number of reasons. But they're real journalists and not hacks when it comes to reporting, which makes their comments quite striking. I believe what they say. We brought back a basketball coach only to fire him before the conference season began!

We have limp-wristed leadership and don't think otherwise.

Listened to Barreiro yesterday and he mentioned something about the concensus being that the U didn't want to pay out his 800,000 buy out. I broke out in laughter. 800,000 is popcicle sticks. Just goes to show these guys are talking out of their ass. If the UofM wanted Brewster gone he would be gone.

Brewster will be here 2 more seasons AT LEAST! He has done NOTHING to warrant being let go.
800,000 is pretty significant, especially in today's economy. I think money has more to do with it than anything else.

You're right that is pretty funny as they would have to offer at least that much more a year than Brewster is getting (what was originally reported was a base of $600,000 with $400,000 deferred to year five) to interest anyone.

I don't know what to make of the comments but I do have absolutely no faith that Maturi will act correctly.
1) He re-signed Dan Monson and then fired him 5 games into the next season.
2) He waited until Mason has 1 year left on his contract before resigning him, essentially wasting the 2006 recruiting class.
3) He fired Mason 1 year after signing him to an extension and 1 month prior to signing day, essentially wasting the 2007 recruiting class.

One can legitimately gripe about Souhan and Reusse for a number of reasons. But they're real journalists and not hacks when it comes to reporting, which makes their comments quite striking. I believe what they say. We brought back a basketball coach only to fire him before the conference season began!

You're right about how they should have fired Monson. I'm still convinced it was because Monson turned down the Washington State job when the University was desperate for some stability but yeah, he should have been fired the first time.

Two other things: Ruesse and Souhan as you know, are columnists not journalists as they themselves never tire of telling us. I agree that when they want to be they can be grounded journalists. Ruesse in particular can be a fine writer. However, I've heard Ruesse himself say many times on Saturday Sports Talk when the callers want to go after the Twins or worse yet the Hubbards about how he " isn't going to go there".

He has no such compunction going after Brewster. He seems to do it with glee.

The other would be that the vast majority of people in the world (IMO) consider "limp wristed leadership" any leadership that doesn't do what they WANT then to do.

Present company excepted Mr. Studwell!:)

Danny B on KFAN was goin nuts on Brew yesterday, looks like KFAN personalities are pounding the drum in an effort to get someone canned. Won't work. I can guarantee if KFAN hada revenue stream from the U, the KFAN bosses would tell then on air talent to knock it off or tone it down.
The T-wolves should be getting torn to shreds by the morning show, but because Corey Cove does their ads, he almost never rips em. 1-13 come one

2) He waited until Mason has 1 year left on his contract before resigning him, essentially wasting the 2006 recruiting class.
3) He fired Mason 1 year after signing him to an extension and 1 month prior to signing day, essentially wasting the 2007 recruiting class.

And then the next coach inherits that mess and gets three years to work with two broken classes lol.

STADIUM STADIUM STADIUM

2006 is when the stadium bill finally got pulled, kicking and screaming, through the Legislature. In order to facilitate this, he needed to give off the perception of program stability.

However, on the afternoon of December 31, 2006, he had no such perceptions to uphold when the call came from Eastcliffe.

Firing Brewster before November 27, 2011 would be the worst thing that could happen to this program.

I agree that things are beginning to leak and the end is within 12 months unless something miraculous happens next year. The $800,000 isn't the only issue:
1) Perception of only giving Brewster 3 years and that's a fair concern.
2) The next coach is going to have to be in the Tubby Smith $3 million range and makes the $800,000 look bad in the recession. Bruinicks and Maturi know they'll need to swing for the fences with the next hire- Tubberville or a Mariucci. Linehan will be a 2nd tier choice.

Brewster won't be the only character heading for the barbecue of things aren't better next year. The difference might be that Bruinicks and Maturi might get a second chance to fix the situation. A brand new mausoleum on campus would be a PR nightmare.

Are we still paying Monson and Mason? I think Brewster stays for the remainder of his contract and then we sign another big name coach, similar to what we did for the basketball team. Brewster brought the talent and Maturi wants someone else to develop it.

I still think we should give Brewster an extension. I don't think he'll jump ship like other coaches would if he builds this program up. We're going to take our lumps with a guy that didn't have any head coaching experience before arriving here, but I think Brewster might be the man for the job.

Wow!!!

LMAO, should be nominated for "most preposterous post of the year"!!:cool03:

Top Bottom