Souhan & Reusse: "Administration Desperate to Fire Brewster"

The thought that they don't have the guts to fire him is ludicrous. QUOTE]

Dan Monson disagrees with you.

Good post, neither does Mason. If it was time it would be done. As far as the article goes, I could write that kind of crap. If that is what it takes to get read, good luck with your journalism career.

The T-wolves should be getting torn to shreds by the morning show, but because Corey Cove does their ads, he almost never rips em. 1-13 come one

Why rip a team that you know will get no reaction or no one cares about?

I don't know what to make of the comments but I do have absolutely no faith that Maturi will act correctly.
1) He re-signed Dan Monson and then fired him 5 games into the next season.
2) He waited until Mason has 1 year left on his contract before resigning him, essentially wasting the 2006 recruiting class.
3) He fired Mason 1 year after signing him to an extension and 1 month prior to signing day, essentially wasting the 2007 recruiting class.

How many times does it have to be repeated - Bruininks (not Maturi) fired Mason after the Texas Tech Bowl Game. You can't hang that one on Joel.

Favorite part was when Souhan says how sick he is of the subject...when it's a subject that he has basically created. I haven't really seen anything this blatant from our media since they ran Randy Moss out of town.

Favorite part was when Souhan says how sick he is of the subject...when it's a subject that he has basically created. I haven't really seen anything this blatant from our media since they ran Randy Moss out of town.

These two jokers are literally creating controversy to save their dying paper. Yeah, i'm sure the U is DESPERATE to fire Brewster. It's really becoming stupid, the piling on the local media is doing. It's an easy story for them, they don't need to investigate to see if anything is true because there isn't anything coming out of Bierman.
The gophers are .500, 6-6, 3-5 in the Big Ten. Do they go this nuts on the Vikings if they are 8-8?
No, but because Brewster doesn't suck up to the media around here, they lambaste him and bring up rumors that have no official or real roots.
Where there's smoke there's fire? Yeah how many times has that been thrown around this town with opposite results.
Literally these two are NOT journalists, journalism is dead. These two are the TC sports media version of shock jocks, Barrerio IS a shock jock, he makes no apologies for it, for him gophers football is a punching bag to warm up on between ripping strollers and the Twins offseason spending. Pathetic, the state of local sports media in this town.

Two clowns with a purpose

They know potential recruits read about the rumors and want to emphasis the rumors.

Brewster is our coach for at least two more years, they know it and don't want him or the football team to suceed. The best way for them is to hurt Brewsters recruiting. I want the Vikings and the Gophers both to succeed here but they for the sake of the Vikings want the Gopher football team to fail. This will be there case no matter who the coach is. Do you remember them in favor of any of our previous coaches? They hated Mason.

They're a couple of clowns, everybody knows how they feel about Brewster. If Maturi or the administration wanted Brew out he'd be gone. The thought that they don't have the guts to fire him is ludicrous. Why the Strib even gives these idiots a format like that is beyond me.

Maturi told the Star Tribune that Monson was out following the N.I.T. loss to Cincinnati, then backed out at the last second, so he has gotten cold feet before ... Monson was then brought back that next season and fired mid-year.

They know potential recruits read about the rumors and want to emphasis the rumors.

Brewster is our coach for at least two more years, they know it and don't want him or the football team to suceed. The best way for them is to hurt Brewsters recruiting. I want the Vikings and the Gophers both to succeed here but they for the sake of the Vikings want the Gopher football team to fail. This will be there case no matter who the coach is. Do you remember them in favor of any of our previous coaches? They hated Mason.

Friendly bet on your two years statement? Even if they win next year, he could look to get out for another job, and could even be doing that now ... he wanted the Tenn. and Aub. jobs last year ... we could bet lunch if you're interested.

Maturi told the Star Tribune that Monson was out following the N.I.T. loss to Cincinnati, then backed out at the last second, so he has gotten cold feet before ... Monson was then brought back that next season and fired mid-year.

Thank you. It took Maturi close to eight months to finally build up enough courage to fire Monson. Then when he finally did, he wasted a whole season of hoops because he fired him seven games into the season.

Real journalists don't write columns to try and fire a coach. A real journalist will make sure they find out when the coach will be fired first. See the difference.

Danny B on KFAN was goin nuts on Brew yesterday, looks like KFAN personalities are pounding the drum in an effort to get someone canned. Won't work. I can guarantee if KFAN hada revenue stream from the U, the KFAN bosses would tell then on air talent to knock it off or tone it down.
The T-wolves should be getting torn to shreds by the morning show, but because Corey Cove does their ads, he almost never rips em. 1-13 come one

I heard that last night. Barriero isn't what I'd call a college football guy and his new sidekick is a Hawkeye alum, so neither one of them have any reason to be fair with the football program. They assume that the quotes Brewster delivers to the media are what he's thinking & saying internally. Like it or not, Brewster is taking the approach of not publicly ripping his staff and/or players. From what I've read & hear in various places, odds are good he's not nearly as sunshiny in private.

Barriero's schtick is the whole 'savagery' angle, so I take what he says with a grain of salt... especially when it comes to things he knows little about.

Ty Willingham got canned from Notre Dame after three years for underperforming, winning only around 58% of his games. The ND boosters opened up the bank vault to get their 'kill shot,' Charlie Weiss, and he's managed to deliver them a 57% win ratio despite having all of the advantages that Notre Dame possesses. There are no guarantees that a coaching change will solve anything, and there are at some positive things happening with our program IMO.

Doogie, i'll take your lunch action. Brew will be the coach for 2 more years. I have no data to back it up, but you are on.

For whatever it is worth, they couldnt pick 2 "journalists" that are any less connected to the program. Reusee hates pretty much everything Gopher football, and near as i can fugure Souhan was the Twins beat writer for awhile and slid into this gig a few years ago. His articles tell me that he is removed from the program and has no real connections there.

Basically, i dont know how Maturi or anyone else in the know at the U would talk to either of these guys. It seems logical that if they did want to can him and there was some fire to the rumor, they'd pick ANY other media type in the state to tell. Though an arguement could be made that Barriero may have lower standing than those two.

We are on ... if you win, we go to McDonald's ... if I win, we go to Murray's :) ... Do remember this: Both gentlemen have been here a long time ... in other words, they know a lot of people in the Bierman Building.

I will also add this: There are more people involved than Maturi ... Pres. Bruininks is heavily involved, as are others ... I'm not quite sure Maturi has a ton of say in this matter, or maybe the better way to put it is, Maturi isn't as involved with this type of a decision as most think.

Real journalists don't write columns to try and fire a coach. A real journalist will make sure they find out when the coach will be fired first. See the difference.

Real journalists did on Monson. And then Maturi balked.

You may not like Reusse and Souhan (I do, even when I disagree) but to dismiss them as having no clue what is going on or being 'terrible' writers is ridiculous. Reusse is actually a very good writer (who is extremely biased in certain areas) and Souhan is decent. Both have been around for a long time, and to dismiss thier knowledge of what might be going on in this situation is naive.

All I can say is this: If what they say is even remotely true, they need to pull the plug now. What they did with Monson was nothing short of a disaster that only looks better in hind-sight because of Tubby. If we had ended up with Lickliter or someone similar they may have succeeded in killing a once proud basketball program. Letting a coach langish on the vine when everyone knows he's gone is the worst decision an AD/President can make. UVa did it this year with Al Groh and it's showing. At least he was one year removed from a Jan. 1 Bowl when they made the decision to let him play out the string, so it could be rationalized.

There is no way they can let Brewster go into the 5th year of his deal without an extension. You can't recruit like that. It's a horrible idea. He'll either get extended after next season or fired.

Thank you. It took Maturi close to eight months to finally build up enough courage to fire Monson. Then when he finally did, he wasted a whole season of hoops because he fired him seven games into the season.

It is funny how that courage suddenly shows up when your boss (Bruininks) demands that he be fired or else. In regards to Brewster, Maturi has got to be growing tired of defending a coach who doesn't treat him with respect and berates him in front of the team. This has been reported numerous and not one single person affiliated with the university that I have seen has come out and said that this is not true.

It is funny how that courage suddenly shows up when your boss (Bruininks) demands that he be fired or else. In regards to Brewster, Maturi has got to be growing tired of defending a coach who doesn't treat him with respect and berates him in front of the team. This has been reported numerous and not one single person affiliated with the university that I have seen has come out and said that this is not true.

That fact alone, combined with the horrific game-day coaching should be enough to give him the courage. I mean honestly, can you even imagine Tubby berating Maturi in front of his players? It would never happen, and it shouldn't. Yelling at him to shut his phone off at after the NCAA bid was announced was as close as you'll ever come, and he didn't know who it was and almost died of embarassment.

I will also add this: There are more people involved than Maturi ... Pres. Bruininks is heavily involved, as are others ... I'm not quite sure Maturi has a ton of say in this matter, or maybe the better way to put it is, Maturi isn't as involved with this type of a decision as most think.

Doogie,

Can you confirm that "influential members that are not on the U of M payroll" are voicing their opinions?

Doogie,

Can you confirm that "influential members that are not on the U of M payroll" are voicing their opinions?

AKA, the rich jokers sitting behind the Gophers sideline who have no knowledge of football, who booed the home team for going into halftime up big against MSU. If this is where these rumors are coming from we should all be sick.

AKA, the rich jokers sitting behind the Gophers sideline who have no knowledge of football, who booed the home team for going into halftime up big against MSU. If this is where these rumors are coming from we should all be sick.

Ole, that may be true. But if you don't think the people with the money are going to influence this decision you're being naive. It will be a lot easier to pay the buyout and the additional salary of the new coach if the Admin. can assure all of the MN taxpayers they're not footing the bill.

Finally, we are getting to the crux of the matter. Because of the huge financial impact on the U, Maturi does not possess the authority to hire and fire head coaches on his own. He never has had that kind of authority. Bruininks has the final say on that kind of decision and Maturi is not the only person he listens to.

There is no way that Maturi would be Reusse's or Souhan's source about Brewster. I have heard Reusse say on the radio that he has a very good source at the U who has never been wrong on information that he has gotten from him.

"and berates him in front of the team"

Because one person posts this and others then pass it around as fact doen't mean it is true. Do you really think the University is going to respond to this accusation one way or another? They can't respond to every idea and theory that someone throws out. Also, someones "berate" could be another person's "expressing disagreement". Unless people are going to be upfront and state their sources, they should shut-up. Remember, when in journalism it was considered a "no-no" to pass along information from "Anon. sources" that doesn't seem to both people around here.

great! now not only do we have the two hacks over at the strib perpetrating rumors, but our very own "jornalists" "doogie" adding to the speculation here!

all three know exactly what they are doing. they are trying to hinder brewster's recruiting at the point when it is the most important.

watch. they will all now blame brewster when he fails to land henderson when they purposefully created this "lameduck" conspiracy themselves.

it is pathetic and it is rumor mongering. it is not journalism.

... he wanted the Tenn. and Aub. jobs last year ...

Really? I hadn't heard this, and for some reason viewed Brewster as a guy who could stick around here for a while even with success.
If he really is looking to 'step up' as soon as possible, I may have to revise my opinion on keeping Brewster around.

Ole, that may be true. But if you don't think the people with the money are going to influence this decision you're being naive. It will be a lot easier to pay the buyout and the additional salary of the new coach if the Admin. can assure all of the MN taxpayers they're not footing the bill.

I'm not naive, I get it, big donors own college football programs.
I would just say if any of the folks I sat around during the MSU game have the administration's ear, then we doomed as a program. Some of the worst fans and the most lukewarm and backhanded support I've ever witnessed. Really sickening stuff like literally not cheering, clapping, or participating in the game whatsoever until they disagreed with some decision the coaches made, then they yelled at the top of their lungs.
Big donors are fine, those folks having any influence on the program is not.

Doogie,

I cannot fully confirm that ... have you heard?

I'm not naive, I get it, big donors own college football programs.
I would just say if any of the folks I sat around during the MSU game have the administration's ear, then we doomed as a program. Some of the worst fans and the most lukewarm and backhanded support I've ever witnessed. Really sickening stuff like literally not cheering, clapping, or participating in the game whatsoever until they disagreed with some decision the coaches made, then they yelled at the top of their lungs.
Big donors are fine, those folks having any influence on the program is not.

It really depends. If Bruinicks and Maturi want Brewster gone and having the money to pay the buyout makes it easier to do so politically, where's the problem? If on the other hand they want to give Brewster more time, and the donors are forcing thier hand, then you have a problem. I'd like to think both the President and AD are better then that.

All I'm saying is this:

If we fire Brewster, there had better be an A+ coach waiting in the wings to take over. The next three years will be beyond awful if they bring in someone who is not beyond reproach. We'll lose current players, we'll lose this year's recruits. It will be an unmitigated disaster. Far, far worse than what would happen if Brew were coach next year.

I'm not 100% in support of keeping Brewster. But unless we have a Tubby-esque candidate waiting for the chance to coach the Gophers right now, firing him would be a horrific mistake. Brew haters should remember this if the program is in the tank in 2011.

Top Bottom