Souhan & Reusse: "Administration Desperate to Fire Brewster"

"and berates him in front of the team"

Because one person posts this and others then pass it around as fact doen't mean it is true. Do you really think the University is going to respond to this accusation one way or another? They can't respond to every idea and theory that someone throws out. Also, someones "berate" could be another person's "expressing disagreement". Unless people are going to be upfront and state their sources, they should shut-up. Remember, when in journalism it was considered a "no-no" to pass along information from "Anon. sources" that doesn't seem to both people around here.

Has anyone come out and denied this? Souhan wrote that days ago.

Really? I hadn't heard this, and for some reason viewed Brewster as a guy who could stick around here for a while even with success.
If he really is looking to 'step up' as soon as possible, I may have to revise my opinion on keeping Brewster around.

In his defense, when those jobs open, and at the time he was 7-1 (when Tenn. opened), why wouldn't you have interest?

I have heard Reusse say on the radio that he has a very good source at the U who has never been wrong on information that he has gotten from him.

I tend to agree with this. Say what you will about Pat, he does not talk loosely about these matters. His statements on the Strib site were very unambiguous. He is a professional, at least in this limited respect.

great! now not only do we have the two hacks over at the strib perpetrating rumors, but our very own "jornalists" "doogie" adding to the speculation here!

all three know exactly what they are doing. they are trying to hinder brewster's recruiting at the point when it is the most important.

watch. they will all now blame brewster when he fails to land henderson when they purposefully created this "lameduck" conspiracy themselves.

it is pathetic and it is rumor mongering. it is not journalism.

Yeah, yeah and there was a TC media conspiracy to get Denny Green fired because he was black, right? Give me a break. Look, obviously Reusse has made up his mind on Brewster and doesn't like him. I give you that. But this idea that 'everyone' in the TC media is in on trying to create a conspiracy to get Brewster, or anyone else, fired is absurd. Paranoid much?

Brewster has brought this on himself. Ruesse and Souhan regardless of what you think are legitimate members of the media. Reuesse has been in this town over 30 years and you want us to believe he's some sort of incompetent, rumor-mongering hack? I don't give Doogie quite the same level of cred, but can you honestly look at everything he's written here and on the Strib and say he's got some 'secret' hidden vendetta against Brewster? Give me a break.

It really depends. If Bruinicks and Maturi want Brewster gone and having the money to pay the buyout makes it easier to do so politically, where's the problem? If on the other hand they want to give Brewster more time, and the donors are forcing thier hand, then you have a problem. I'd like to think both the President and AD are better then that.

exactly, I'm not even saying don't do it if they have decided to, thought I wouldn't. Just don't let rich folks with no clue influence university decisions like that. I hope I'm completely off base, and that our President and AD are indeed better than that.

Because one person posts this and others then pass it around as fact doen't mean it is true. Do you really think the University is going to respond to this accusation one way or another? They can't respond to every idea and theory that someone throws out. Also, someones "berate" could be another person's "expressing disagreement". Unless people are going to be upfront and state their sources, they should shut-up. Remember, when in journalism it was considered a "no-no" to pass along information from "Anon. sources" that doesn't seem to both people around here.

On a major matter such as this if it were not true do you not think that no one would dispel this rumor. No one in the department, not a coach, not a player, no one has said it did not happen. Also, as far as not giving up the name of a source, that is standard practice in journalism and has been for a long time. You blab about your sources and you have known anymore. Would you feel better if they gave their source a imaginary name like Deepthroat?

That's classic modern shockjockism(new word)
Say something controversial publicly, and then ask why it hasn't been denied. Anyone watch the south park when Cartman is the morning announcement guy? Seriously, it might have happened, but just because it hasn't been denied doesn't mean it DID happen.

AKA, the rich jokers sitting behind the Gophers sideline who have no knowledge of football, who booed the home team for going into halftime up big against MSU. If this is where these rumors are coming from we should all be sick.

Do you actually follow college football? Do you understand there's much, much more to it than the X's and O's. Here's your first clue - follow the money.

Just ask Tommy Tubberville about how much influence those "rich jokers" have.

Yeah, yeah and there was a TC media conspiracy to get Denny Green fired because he was black, right? Give me a break. Look, obviously Reusse has made up his mind on Brewster and doesn't like him. I give you that. But this idea that 'everyone' in the TC media is in on trying to create a conspiracy to get Brewster, or anyone else, fired is absurd. Paranoid much? Brewster has brought this on himself and there's no reason to think otherwise.

nice red herring.

i never mentioned anything about anyone's ethnicity, nor did i mention any conspiracy.

Do you actually follow college football? Do you understand there's much, much more to it than the X's and O's. Here's your first clue - follow the money.

Just ask Tommy Tubberville about how much influence those "rich jokers" have.

No, I do get it. I would just hope our administration and AD hold the cards when it comes to big decisions and not some rich guy who must be entertained. If they want Brewster gone(I don't) then make the call. Don't let some shmuck with money force your hand.

Was the Tubberville decision a good one? I'd hope that one along with countless others would be case studies for AD's on how not to run a program.

nice red herring.

i never mentioned anything about anyone's ethnicity, nor did i mention any conspiracy.

I never said you mentioned ethnicity. I was simply referring to Denny Green's going on ESPN and accusing the Twin Cities media of having a conspiracy to get him fired a few hours before he was to coach a play-off game. That was completely ridiculous.

As is your assertion that the TC media is trying to under-mine Brewster's recruiting by starting 'rumors'. You didn't use the word conspiracy, but what else would call it?

In his defense, when those jobs open, and at the time he was 7-1 (when Tenn. opened), why wouldn't you have interest?

You can't fault someone for wanting more money, but what this program needs is a coach who can stick around for 10 years and build something (a la Alvarez, Fry/Ferentz, etc). The U has shown they're willing to pay for the right coach with Tubby (and the coordinators under Brewster). But if it's a matter of Brew wanting to bolt for a higher-profile or NFL job as soon as he gets enough success, that takes a lot of the luster off his work here. I don't want to have to start over with a new coach if Brewster sniffs the Capitol One Bowl.

That's classic modern shockjockism(new word)
Say something controversial publicly, and then ask why it hasn't been denied. Anyone watch the south park when Cartman is the morning announcement guy? Seriously, it might have happened, but just because it hasn't been denied doesn't mean it DID happen.

i was about to type the same thing (in different words).

+1,000,000

I am so sick of this tidbit. If you aren't going to give more "facts," then quit throwing it out. It could mean anything. I am not satisfied with Brewster right now, but this kind of thing is so bush league, it's embarrassing. The people who keep defending Reusse and Souhan as "journalists" are really weak. Their agenda is so transparent. Whether you agree with it or not is not the point. But there is very little "journalism" being done here.

Barreiro can get away with it more because he is only on the radio anymore. He riles people up (including me), but that's his job, and I know what he's doing.

The problem with the writers is their job is no longer to report or even just express opinions in a column. They now have all these other outlets (blogs and such) where they can spew things out without regard for consequences. For example, Myron Medcalf is a beat writer. He reports on the basketball team. That's his job. But he also has to fill out his blog and it is always peppered with opinions, mistakes, and unnecessary information. His game stories are much more opinionated than anything I've ever seen in the past as well. Ten years ago, he'd simply write his stories for the paper everyday and be done with it. But now he has this 'voice." And these guys abuse this voice more often than not. It is possible to be a professional even with all these outlets, though. I've never seen Kent Youngblood pull this crap on his football blog. He and Medcalf are night and day. One does his job; the other one is trying to make a name for himself.

Ever since ESPN started putting all these guys on TV and airing thier opinions as "expert analysis," it's filtered down to local levels. And it's ruining real journalism. There are no consequences when these guys are wrong. But when they are right, all we hear is who reported it first.

When did, "According to people with knowledge of the situation," become a valid source that couldn't be questioned? Give me a break.

But then what do you expect from a corporation that continues to hire Sid Hartman and doesn't even seem to bother to fact check and edit his columns?

I never said you mentioned ethnicity. I was simply referring to Denny Green's going on ESPN and accusing the Twin Cities media of having a conspiracy to get him fired a few hours before he was to coach a play-off game. That was completely ridiculous.

As is your assertion that the TC media is trying to under-mine Brewster's recruiting by starting 'rumors'. You didn't use the word conspiracy, but what else would call it?

a spade.

I agree that things are beginning to leak and the end is within 12 months unless something miraculous happens next year. The $800,000 isn't the only issue:
1) Perception of only giving Brewster 3 years and that's a fair concern.
2) The next coach is going to have to be in the Tubby Smith $3 million range and makes the $800,000 look bad in the recession. Bruinicks and Maturi know they'll need to swing for the fences with the next hire- Tubberville or a Mariucci. Linehan will be a 2nd tier choice.

Brewster won't be the only character heading for the barbecue of things aren't better next year. The difference might be that Bruinicks and Maturi might get a second chance to fix the situation. A brand new mausoleum on campus would be a PR nightmare.

I am not surprised that some information is finally leaking out. I know several individuals who are close to this program and from what I heard Maturi and Brewster have been at odds for some time now. Maturi really doesn't like him and would love for him to be out of his hair.

Personally I think Brewster is cheesey and full of crap but I also think he is a good recruiter, and I think some of the players really believe the crap he shovels. For that reason I've concluded that I don't have to like him personally if he brings us a winning team. So I guess I'm on the fence like a lot of people. His schedule next year isn't going to do him any favors. It is probably in the top 5 most difficult. So if they keep him we better play the USC's and Ohio State's tougher than we have recently. If we don't, I have no problem kicking him to the curb.

I heard some very interesting rumors about Dungy and some of his connections with some of the higher profile Player alumni who have encouraged the current administration to open up talks. Supposidly there have been communication but I don't know if I buy it or how serious it is.

Joel has to keep his public opinion positive. One poster pointed out some interesting info. He fired Monson after 5 games and a recent contract extension. He fired Mason instantly after the Texas Tech clown show (although I heard that was several larger boosters who went to Maturi with an open checkbook and literally asked "How much will it take"). All this indicates that Maturi could do anything at anytime.

Don't be surprised if we draw OK in a bowl game, and get blown out, that soon after Brewster will be looking for asst NFL gigs once again.

Why would they? Who would deny it? Who was asked? As a "journalist," have you gone to the U to dig into this quote? Or do you just take Souhan's word for it? What exactly does "berated" mean in this case anyway?

Again. Why would anyone even have felt the need to respond to a flippant remark in a short column and deny it anyway? Did he provide the source and the context to prove it was true? Of course not. He works at the Strib; he doesn't need to.

I have heard this "big donor" thing with college sports for awhile. I guess i could see it for hockey here, but not for football or even basketball for that matter. Lets call this what it is: this program has been everything from wretched to mediocre for 40 years. At no point have they been good or outstanding. Who, in their right mind donates that sort of money to the Gopher football program? We had problems getting the money together to fire Mason. Those funds came from the U itself. It didnt come from some "deep throat" donor. This is not Notre Dame, Michigan, tOSU or any SEC school.

Our tradition was from 40 years ago. We have no big time donors. If we had this gleaming football program, we'd have a full house every week at home. We'd play in good bowl games. We would actually bring people to bowl games. We wouldnt have to bus to Iowa. We would have ponied up the cash for a big time coach, even as we paid off the last guy.

What we have is a mediocre program. Whether we are on the way up, down or sideways is debateable, but until we succeed to the point where we are going to good bowls on a semi consistent basis we wont be considered anything other than a mid level B10 program. Will we ever be Michigan or tOSU? I dont know, and i dont know if that's possible. But what i do know is that we fired Mason because we were stuck here. If we wanted to go to the toilet bowl yearly and breathe a collective sigh of relief every time we avoided Detriot for our bowl game every year we would have kept Mason.

My point is who in the hell do we think we are? This is not a big time program. I hope that it will be someday, but it sure isn't now. If we really do have these people, then who the hell are they?

A player I know on the team told me Brewster statement was totally taken out of context. It was a frustration comment regarding an administrative matter. When Maturi is around the team (which is frequent), his perception is that Maturi and Brewster have a solid working relationship.

Brewster publicly berated Maturi?

Guess who looks idiotic here? It's not Brewster.

A player I know on the team told me Brewster statement was totally taken out of context. It was a frustration comment regarding an administrative matter. When Maturi is around the team (which is frequent), his perception is that Maturi and Brewster have a solid working relationship.

No way. Couldn't be.

It's like the classic question, "So when did you stop beating your wife?"

I have heard some of the same that Dungy is not a pipe dream. I think things will really take off after Turkey Day in either direction.

Thank you for making my point, they wanted Monson fired and he was fired. If they wanted Brew fired, he'd be fired. Please don't put any credence in what these two clowns have to say.

That's not true at all. I don't think it's any secret that Shelman's article, stating that they wanted Monson gone after the Cinncinati game in March, was when they really wanted him out - and they backed down. I felt that Maturi's "I'm not going to go there" and lack of support for Monson, was just about the worst thing they could possibly to do him - people that had supported him, did not anymore, and his last few months were delaying the inevitable.

I think the same thing could be happening with Brew here, if true. By letting this stuff leak out, but not doing it, is putting him in a terrible situation.

I have heard some of the same that Dungy is not a pipe dream. I think things will really take off after Turkey Day in either direction.

Here we ago again.

No, don't say that. That doesn't sound as good. Nobody can run with that. That doesn't sound as good as "unconfirmed reports" about the coach "berating" the athletic director.

It hasn't been denied? C'mon, Doogie....that's an absolute ridiculous response. Even you know that.

I cannot fully confirm that ... have you heard?

Great line. Either you can "fully" confirm it or you can't "fully" confirm it. And please don't take this personally since it's an expression often used in this kind of situation, but is your wife "fully" pregnant or not "fully" pregnant? Are you going to use MNCH as your "source" if he has heard about this? Good grief man.

Again, you are justing throwing things out, and hoping it will stick to the wall or have people run with it.

If they do fire Brew, which I hope they don't, they better have a HUGE name lined up or this program is going into the toilet forever. The huge name will likely be able to keep the current players and possible incoming recruits. We have already heard from gopherpops, that if they fire Brew there is a really good possibility that many team members would transfer.

This type of talk sucks, especially as we prepare for an upcoming bowl game.

Go Gophers!
SK Gopher

Top Bottom