Souhan & Reusse: "Administration Desperate to Fire Brewster"

Brewster can only be fired if he is cheating. That's it.

We all agree that Brewster understands recruiting. I think that means he likely also understands booster relations. This is crude, but both are about kissing ass to get what you want.

Maturi has had issues with all the major coaches- at what point do we realize it doesn't matter? I suspect there are people in the U adminstration who don't like Brewster's bluster. Well guess what? Those are the same people who don't like the influence NCAA sports have on a University. They are the same one who allowed the U to be awful for 40 years and they are the same people who will ensure Gophers football will be awful for 40 more.

Getting rid of Brewster (minus serious scandal or the arrival of Tony Dungy) before the end of next year will bury, ABSOLUTELY BURY, the University of Minnesota football program. Maybe that is the intent of those in the admin who want Brewster out.

No credible candidate will take the job.

Has anyone said or shown any support for Brewster lately?

No, and nobody has denied he berated maturi in front of the players either, and nobody has denied that Reusse is actually a giant space alien blob, and nobody has denied that the U of MN football team is going to just fold. They all must be true.

The Dungy thing is getting really old. It's a crutch for folks who have lost all hope for Brewster and have always admired our esteemed alumni's career. Unless you literally have inside knowledge that he's even considered coaching here, let it go.

People who want Brewster gone ... will hope to believe any rummblings ... trying this dot thing .. .don't know how you complete sentences or thoughs .. .however people who want to give Brewster is 4-5 years are .... ooops forgot to put dots in ... are not happy about the rumor mongering ....

As Herd said the other day, when did the sports world become a gossip circle of people who can't wait to login and post some rumor they think they thought they might of heard?

Bruininks and Brewster should have a come to Jesus meeting about or with Maturi

All of this crap being spewed by the media has got to come to an end one way or another.
Souhan bitches and all he has dones is fuel this thing. People are talking about it, I know casual
at best Gopher fans at work that ask me what I think about this "Fire Brewster" stuff is legitimate and if it is going to go down.(How would I know) but if casual fans are talking about it than it is going around the water coolers and amongst fans. I am adament against firing the coach even with fellow season ticket holders, all this situation is doing is hurting this program. If I were coach Brewster I would almost demand a meeting, they are undermining his ability to lead this program people talking to the media and the media itself.

They need to put an end to this speculation, I for one vote Maturi, out but It look's like the President is letting a lot of loose lips sink ships in the department. People need to shut up about the coaching staff and let them move on to playing the bowl game.

Brewster can only be fired if he is cheating. That's it.

We all agree that Brewster understands recruiting. I think that means he likely also understands booster relations. This is crude, but both are about kissing ass to get what you want.

Maturi has had issues with all the major coaches- at what point do we realize it doesn't matter? I suspect there are people in the U adminstration who don't like Brewster's bluster. Well guess what? Those are the same people who don't like the influence NCAA sports have on a University. They are the same one who allowed the U to be awful for 40 years and they are the same people who will ensure Gophers football will be awful for 40 more.

Getting rid of Brewster (minus serious scandal or the arrival of Tony Dungy) before the end of next year will bury, ABSOLUTELY BURY, the University of Minnesota football program. Maybe that is the intent of those in the admin who want Brewster out.

No credible candidate will take the job.

Not true, there would be plenty ogf credible candidates interested in the job. at most they may ask for a larger buyout. I think most credible candidates would look at the firing of Brewster and say he was unqualified to begin with.

First of all $800,000 to get rid of a major college coach is peanuts. These days there is almost always a buyout because coaches are rarely let to work through their contract. They are either fired or extended. If MN does not have football boosters to cover this expense, the program is doomed anyway.

Second, when I hear the Dungy story has legs it just makes me think this whole thing is bogus because there is ZERO chance Dungy comes here.

Third, if you are going to fire a coach, it should be done NOW. Not after the bowl game. That is too late. Rememeber when Brews was hired in February? The whole recruiting year went down the toilet and all of the good assistant coaches already had jobs.

Fourth, just a week and a half ago, Maturi did say public comments in support of Brewster. People just ignored them. It may have been a snow job, but the comments were made.

Fifth, anyone that thinks Reusse is loved by the U of M's athletic department is crazy. Reusse has ripped every major sport at the U for years. Calling the Gopher hockey team the "yankees" of college hockey and Reusse has a personal vendetta against Brewster. This is undeniable. Does anyone deny this?

Not true, there would be plenty ogf credible candidates interested in the job. at most they may ask for a larger buyout. I think most credible candidates would look at the firing of Brewster and say he was unqualified to begin with.

I disagree (without inside knowledge). My sense is what people, nationally, know of this program under Brewster is: it's been sloppy, but the record is about the same as it has been, and he's recruiting really well.

If the U came to your average coach and said "we've been thinking of making a change, are you interested?" I have to assume the first question this Coach X would ask is "What did Brewster do?" Is there an answer to that question that we don't already know about? (scandal, etc?) If not, I'd imagine that any of the better coaches out there (which I think we NEED if a change is to be made) would figure they can find something better, with an athletics department that doesn't have their head up their Reusse-hole.

That's what I have said should be alternative Fire Maturi

He and Bruininks helped create this bleep storm in the first place. With all of this firing talk
they are undermining the football program to the point of needing to take a stand and make a decision. This firing talk about coach Brewster has to either stop or come to a head.
I say keep the coach boot the AD in the long run we will be more successful that way.

A player I know on the team told me Brewster statement was totally taken out of context. It was a frustration comment regarding an administrative matter. When Maturi is around the team (which is frequent), his perception is that Maturi and Brewster have a solid working relationship.

I will trust the player you talked to, but perception may equal reality when it comes to Maturi ... it's how Maturi took the comments, not how we feel about the situation.

Why aren't we talking about firing Joel?

+2...is Tubby keeping Maturi employed right now? And did he actually have ANY impact on that hire at all?
The mistakes Maturi has made would have gotten much better AD's fired years ago....assuming they were actually his mistakes and not Bruiniks'.

Great line. Either you can "fully" confirm it or you can't "fully" confirm it. And please don't take this personally since it's an expression often used in this kind of situation, but is your wife "fully" pregnant or not "fully" pregnant? Are you going to use MNCH as your "source" if he has heard about this? Good grief man.

Again, you are justing throwing things out, and hoping it will stick to the wall or have people run with it.

If they do fire Brew, which I hope they don't, they better have a HUGE name lined up or this program is going into the toilet forever. The huge name will likely be able to keep the current players and possible incoming recruits. We have already heard from gopherpops, that if they fire Brew there is a really good possibility that many team members would transfer.

This type of talk sucks, especially as we prepare for an upcoming bowl game.

Go Gophers!
SK Gopher

Define "many"? We can bet lunch as well ... if/when Brewster leaves (firing or for another job), I bet not nearly as many players will transfer as you think ... and define "huge" name? Forever is also a strong word ... I will beg to differ.

I don't buy that no one will be interested because Brewster only got 3 years. If we had a history of firing football coaches willy-nilly that'd be one thing. But Mason got 10 years. And I think most candidates are smart enough to see Brew was probably in over his head and the adminisration was not just being unreasonable.

Also, if Maturi allows this to fester but does nothing, or fires Brew after the Bowl Game, then he's the one who should be gone. One way or another this needs to be put to rest by say, December 6th at the latest. What he did to Monson was terrible, and waiting until after the Bowl Game to fire Mason was nearly as bad. He's had two high-profile firings in his tenure and royally screwed up both of them. It can't happen again. Either fire him, or come out and strongly state that he'll be here.

He and Bruininks helped create this bleep storm in the first place. With all of this firing talk
they are undermining the football program to the point of needing to take a stand and make a decision. This firing talk about coach Brewster has to either stop or come to a head.
I say keep the coach boot the AD in the long run we will be more successful that way.

Joel also has an elite hockey program playing below average again. Also if Tubby didn't fall in his lap he would have a basketball team battling Iowa and Indy for tenth place.

"What did Brewster do?"

He went 1-11 and 0-8 in his first year. He couldn't score a TD against SDSU in his 3rd year. He had the biggest defeat in school history in a B10 game by losing 55-0 to Iowa. He called a timeout before an extra point. He is 0-8 in trophy games. He has zero wins in November. He has zero wins against ranked teams. He is on his 3rd defensive coordinator and second offensive coordinator. His teams are consistently the most peanalized in the country. We are one of the worst running teams in the country. We're one of the worst passing teams in the country. Our defense, although improving, is still statistically one of the worst in the B10. This is all in Year 3.

I think they should get rid of Brewster but I absolutely do not think they should get rid of him until there is a mutual agreement between the U and a new coach.

Also, this notion that players would transfer if Brew is fired is absurd. Why would players lose a year of eligibility to go to another school just because of Brew? Do you really think these guys don't get the business? Do you think they're happy with 6-6 3-5? It's an empty threat.

He went 1-11 and 0-8 in his first year. He couldn't score a TD against SDSU in his 3rd year. He had the biggest defeat in school history in a B10 game by losing 55-0 to Iowa. He called a timeout before an extra point. He is 0-8 in trophy games. He has zero wins in November. He has zero wins against ranked teams. He is on his 3rd defensive coordinator and second offensive coordinator. His teams are consistently the most peanalized in the country. We are one of the worst running teams in the country. We're one of the worst passing teams in the country. Our defense, although improving, is still statistically one of the worst in the B10. This is all in Year 3.

I think they should get rid of Brewster but I absolutely do not think they should get rid of him until there is a mutual agreement between the U and a new coach.

Also, this notion that players would transfer if Brew is fired is absurd. Why would players lose a year of eligibility to go to another school just because of Brew? Do you really think these guys don't get the business? Do you think they're happy with 6-6 3-5? It's an empty threat.

Agreed on all except the idea that they shouldn't fire him until they have a new coach. It doesn't work that way. No current head coach is going to engage in legitmate discussion with us while Brewster is still in place. And with the exception of Dungy (who's one in a hundred at best) all other candidates SHOULD be current D-1 head coaches. So they cannot piss around trying to hire his replacement while he's still here. That's just not the way it works. But I wouldn't put anything past Maturi at this point.

Yeah, and Tommy Tuberville, even if he knew all that, would look at the record and think "Well, you're f___ing Minnesota, what else is new?" I'm pretty sure the average top coach knows one thing about Brewster, and that's that in his short time here, he's recruiting well above the program's weight class.

Dungy to AD, while an interesting thought, will never happen. He will never be the coach of the football team either. I think he's been asked a number of times by a number of people in a number of places, but hasnt wanted it ever. Give it up.

How many players left when Rich Rod was hired? It was decent amount of players but I would hope our number would be lower.

I agree that it is largely an empty threat, players often react harshly right away when a coach is fired but nearly all give the new coach the opportunity to come in and discuss his plan with them and then they tend to calm down and very few if any transfer. If Brewster is fired he will not be getting another BCS job soon if ever so it isn't as if his players can follow him.

Dungy to AD, while an interesting thought, will never happen. He will never be the coach of the football team either. I think he's been asked a number of times by a number of people in a number of places, but hasnt wanted it ever. Give it up.

I know but I couldn't think of any other names. But if it did happen you should buy me lunch.

Minnesota’s highest-scoring sports were men’s and women’s swimming and diving, which each recorded 66 points for their 11th place finishes. The women’s soccer team had the highest overall finish at ninth place, resulting in 64 points. The Gophers gained 60.75 points for their 12th place finish in women’s indoor track and field and their 14th place finishes in men’s indoor track and field and wrestling.

Women’s outdoor track and field was the highest-scoring spring sport with 56 points. The baseball and men’s tennis teams each collected 50 points for falling one win short of reaching the final 16.

He's done a fine job with the swimming team. Now if he can fix the sport that allows for all those other sports to exist, that would be great.

Top Bottom