Reusse says Kill is best at slinging his act, Holtz included

Not necessarily saying you are wrong but you are basing this argument on what he has been able to do at the lower levels which is a totally different ball game then D1, BCS level football. So far what we have from Kill is one decent Big Ten season where a good part of the core of the team (especially on the stronger side of the ball, defense) was made up of Brewster recruits. His recruiting classes continue to rank in the lower half of the conference according to all the services.

Starting this year we will find out how Kill's recruits are going to stack up in the conference because for the first time the majority of the roster will be his guys. So if with his players we are finishing in the top part of the conference it will be concrete proof that Kill's recruiting methods really are superior.

I'm not sure how you define majority but I'm pretty sure about your unwillingness to give credit. Hageman, Hill, Manuel and Vereen,
I believe are Brewster guys. That would be four guys. Other departing defensive contributing seniors are Kill guys. Who developed Hageman? Was he the player he is now for Brewster?

Does the sun ever shine in your world?

That whole press conference was pretty funny.

"They made me" was his answer when asked about his pay increase. When asked about the clauses about his health...."oh gee, you guys know more about what's in my contract that I do." "My wife knows more about what's in my contract than I do". C'mon.

Of course they did. Why would Jerry Kill want an extra million a year?

ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner.
Kill is a genuine guy, he would have to be for his assistants to stick with him as long as they have but this aww shucks routine is also definitely part schtick for public consumption. There is no way the U gave him a contract extension and more money just because they felt like it with no push of any kind from the other side. If they did, then we have officially the worst administration in the history of sports that would renegotiate themselves into spending more money when they didn't have to.

What was Kill's leverage? What other university was going to hire him away from here with his health issues especially when he hasn't had a winning B1G season? Now I'm sure he was pushing hard to get his assistants more money (probably saying Claeys might leave without a permanent bump). And I'm sure he or someone else close to him may have stated that recruiting would be easier if he wasn't the lowest paid coach in the B1G, but it's not like he had real leverage to get this raise.

Getting kids to play in Tallahassee? Don't know how he does it.

Rank of Florida State's last 10 recruiting classes

4, 10, 6, 2, 10, 7, 9, 21, 3, 2

I'm sure it has nothing to do with location. I'm sure the fact that 5 of 7 of the top B1G recruiters are from tOSU is because they are simply that great. I mean, if we hired them they'd get the same classes, right?

So why did they hire him? Because of his skills as a Tight Ends coach?

So you are saying that Brewster didn't make his reputation as a top notch recruiter 15 years ago at North Carolina? And apparently FSU, Texas, and Mississippi State didn't hire him for his recruiting ability but because he is such a great position coach?

Just an absurd statement. There isn't one thing Brewster does better than Kill, and that includes recruiting. I don't think it's even close.

Lol. How many top 25 classes has Jerry had at MN?

How did those pan out? Brewster recruited high star players that were risks academically or legally. A lot of them never panned out. Can't build a program that way.

Kevin Whaley, Brodrick Smith, Rex Sharpe, Shady Salamon, David Pittman, Sam Maresh, Vincent Hill, Brandon Green, Jewhan Edwards, Tim Dandridge and Terrell Combs from the 2008 recruiting class formed the foundation that allowed Jerry Kill to ride Tim Brewster's coattails.

I'm amazed Brewster fans still bring up the 2008 recruiting class, as if it somehow helps their argument. In February of '08 it was rated 17th in the country (what a joke), yet that class didnt amount to anything. After it was all said and done, the 2008 class turned out to be a flat out terrible class. Kill has absolutely out-recruited Brewster while at Minnesota, period.

I'm amazed Brewster fans still bring up the 2008 recruiting class, as if it somehow helps their argument. In February of '08 it was rated 17th in the country (what a joke), yet that class didnt amount to anything. After it was all said and done, the 2008 class turned out to be a flat out terrible class. Kill has absolutely out-recruited Brewster while at Minnesota, period.

Has Kill out-recruited Brewster or has he out-coached Brewster while at Minnesota? Perhaps both? But I contend that Kill has simply been a much better teacher and coach than Brewster ever was. If Brewster had a clue about teaching and improving the kids he recruited we wouldn't be talking about Kill at this moment. Unfortunately for the U, Brewster was a horrible coach and teacher of the game of football.

It is fair to say that class was not as good as the #17 ranking but some pretty solid players were in that class - Wilhite, Tinsley, Stoudemire, Simmons, McKinley, McKnight, Lawrence, Lair, Kirksey, Green, Gray, Eskridge, Cooper, and Brock to name a few. It was definitely overrated when you look at the overall results of the class but it was far from a terrible class.

Really? we are still talking about Brewster and Mason? Really? - let it go people...let it go - spring practice that is where the fous should be?...and my seat upgrades

MNVCGUY seems to be much more comfortable in relying on recruiting services ranking rather than looking at Kill’s team actual performance. Jerry’s Northern Illinois team 2008 recruiting class was ranked 120th, his 2009th class ranked 92nd and his 2010 class was ranked 84th. Yet he went from 4th to 2nd and finally to 1st in the west division of the Mid-American Conference during that same three year period.

Didn't Kill's team beat that highly ranked recruiting class of Brewsters? It appears that the sun doesn't shine when MNVCGUY evaluates Jerry Kill.

How did those pan out? Brewster recruited high star players that were risks academically or legally. A lot of them never panned out. Can't build a program that way.

Ok, but that isn't part of the argument. Brewster recruited and sold the UofM to players who previously never would have considered this school. The fact they didn't pan out is immaterial. No one thinks Brewster was a good coach.

You missed the point and your entire argument is based on hindsight.

Ok, but that isn't part of the argument. Brewster recruited and sold the UofM to players who previously never would have considered this school. The fact they didn't pan out is immaterial. No one thinks Brewster was a good coach.

It is very material. Brewster took players that while highly ranked weren't heavily recruited because of poor grades or personality flaws. Many of them didn't even make it on campus. Keep mining fools gold.

It is very material. Brewster took players that while highly ranked weren't heavily recruited because of poor grades or personality flaws. Many of them didn't even make it on campus. Keep mining fools gold.

Keanon Cooper had offers from Miami, Michigan, Oklahoma, Wisconsin.
Gray had offers from Iowa, Michigan St., Oregon.
Green had offers from Iowa, Michigan St., Wisconsin.
Maresh had offers from Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin.

Those are some pretty nice offers. Denying the fact that Brewster is a solid recruiter just because he was a terrible coach only proves you blindly hate Brewster. He has always had a reputation of being an amazing recruiter before he came here and has maintained that since he left here. Good enough to recruit for Florida State, but not Minnesota:clap:

Brewster recruited and sold the UofM to players who previously never would have considered this school.

Getting players signed who never make it on campus or lack the necessary character/drive/discipline to thrive on campus = master recruiter.

1. The argument of recruiting can always be a tricky one. When people think about it differently, you're going to have a wide varieties of opinions. It appears Kill is better at recognizing players that fit what he and his staff want to do. But if I had to assign someone to recruit a top player, I'd want it to be Brewster. So who is the better recruiter? Depends how you look at it in my opinion.

2. Reusse is always going to do his thing and he loves it. The more we talk about him, the more he's going to do these things. I cringe every time I come on this board and see his name in the title of a thread. Partly because I have an idea of how the article is written, and partly because I know this stuff motivates him to just keep doing it.

1. The argument of recruiting can always be a tricky one. When people think about it differently, you're going to have a wide varieties of opinions. It appears Kill is better at recognizing players that fit what he and his staff want to do. But if I had to assign someone to recruit a top player, I'd want it to be Brewster. So who is the better recruiter? Depends how you look at it in my opinion.

2. Reusse is always going to do his thing and he loves it. The more we talk about him, the more he's going to do these things. I cringe every time I come on this board and see his name in the title of a thread. Partly because I have an idea of how the article is written, and partly because I know this stuff motivates him to just keep doing it.
This is correct.

There's two parts to recruiting: Identifying talent and then selling the recruit on your school.

Kill is better at identifying and Brewster is probably better at selling.

I would take this year's recruiting class over any of Brewster's. We won't know if I'm right for years, but there is more to it than rankings (system fit, character, academics, etc.).

It is fair to say that class was not as good as the #17 ranking but some pretty solid players were in that class - Wilhite, Tinsley, Stoudemire, Simmons, McKinley, McKnight, Lawrence, Lair, Kirksey, Green, Gray, Eskridge, Cooper, and Brock to name a few. It was definitely overrated when you look at the overall results of the class but it was far from a terrible class.

You're right, I went too far calling it terrible.

I would take this year's recruiting class over any of Brewster's. We won't know if I'm right for years, but there is more to it than rankings (system fit, character, academics, etc.).

Yet we are still having discussions here on the value of ranking systems. Tracy Claeys got it right when he said ranking systems were created to make money from the public. The trust and faith people have in this system is quite amazing. Personally, I putting my faith and money on bitcoins. :rolleyes:

Getting players signed who never make it on campus or lack the necessary character/drive/discipline to thrive on campus = master recruiter.

Mr.Ruesse, please remember that all of the Skyline Four, those "thugs and gangsters who needed strings pulled to get into the U" graduated didn't they? Maybe you could back off a little on all the hate for them.

IMO, I would rather listen to Reusse and Barrerio than read their work.

Top Bottom