Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.
And don't do it on the afternoon of the Gopher home opener with a new coach. I was really looking forward to the excitement in the stands tonight welcoming Pitino and the news of a big time recruit coming on. This takes a little fun out of the opener for me.

Agree, I was excited about the opener tonight. After parking the car, my walk over to the arena will be with no real pep in my step. Any speculation on what Doogie is eluding to as far as more bad news coming?

Agreed, I think that's how it went down. Just another day in the life of a Gopher fan, and fan of Minnesota sports in general.

These other programs find a way to yank victory out of the jaws of defeat every single time when we're involved. It's hard to overcome kids' parents steering them so hard away from the local program.

This suggests it wasn't a last second decision...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>DeLaSalle coach Dave Thorson said it was tough for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> coach Richard Pitino to gain ground on Stanford who recruited him for 4 years.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/398937446739488769">November 8, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Do it Doogie, take a dump on our already depressed Gopher fan souls.

Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) tweeted at 4:17 PM on Fri, Nov 08, 2013:Teaser because waiting on more, but Reid Travis might not be the only negative #Gophers news today.

How many fatalistic (realistic?) posters envisioned everything completely collapsing when they looked so good just a few days ago?

Thorson can shut the F up. It's not about him. He's such an ass. I remember that jerk from Clem's basketball camps. Complete jerk.

Agree, I was excited about the opener tonight. After parking the car, my walk over to the arena will be with no real pep in my step. Any speculation on what Doogie is eluding to as far as more bad news coming?

My guess would be injury or someone leaving the team. Can't imagine it is recruiting related, unless Rashad (maybe Tyus, but eh) is eliminating us or Jarvis is following Reid to Stanford.

I will never believe a reporter again. Not till I hear it from the source. Never again.

I get the feeling he was set on the Gophers and changed his mind. Even said he was flip flopping back and forth and then made a final decision last night. With eveything that happened in the last week, him inviting the public, and then last minute the public wasn't allowed in? Sounds like the info we got was legit and he just changed his mind.

Let's not act like our best pig died just because we missed on a 17 year old power forward (albeit a highly touted one) who may or may not pan out at the college level. The Pitino era starts tonight, our red hot #1 ranked hockey team faces a ranked opponent on the road, and our football team has a chance to secure its first .500 B1G season since the introduction of indoor plumbing. Let's get excited for what I think is a pretty good time to be a Gopher. I'll be at the tailgate lot within 14.5 hours, hope to see you all there.

Lets see, believe Thorson words, or the words that came out reid's mouth about him flip flopping and making up his mind last night? hmmm...

My guess would be injury or someone leaving the team. Can't imagine it is recruiting related, unless Rashad (maybe Tyus, but eh) is eliminating us or Jarvis is following Reid to Stanford.

Or Mbakwe is suspended again?

This suggests it wasn't a last second decision...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>DeLaSalle coach Dave Thorson said it was tough for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> coach Richard Pitino to gain ground on Stanford who recruited him for 4 years.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/398937446739488769">November 8, 2013</a></blockquote>

So why did Travis himself say he was undecided before figuring out Stanford was his choice a few days ago?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>By the way, my opinion: only fair to judge Pitino and his staff on the Class of 2015 and beyond. This 2014 class so far is a bonus. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23gophers&src=hash">#gophers</a></p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/398939660589613056">November 8, 2013</a></blockquote>

One of the few things I think Doogie is right about

Reid is a great kid and him picking Stanford doesn't change that. I'm incredibly disappointed, but shifting focus to 2015 for frontcourt players makes me feel a little bit better. I am now much more confident that we can land the duo of Henry Ellenson and Alex Illikainen, which would be huge. I am very skeptical that we could have gotten both if Reid was here. Time to look forward to tonight's game, this season, and other recruits.

Why did this post/new thread get moved here? This is the Reid Travis thread. My post was intended to start new discussion focused on other recruits and other things that have nothing to do with Reid...

So why did Travis himself say he was undecided before figuring out Stanford was his choice a few days ago?

Why would a recruit holding a press conference to announce his decision come out and say a week or so before hand that he pretty much knew it would be Stanford?

Could be football related too.

Thorson was barely involved in the process if at all, Reid and the FAMILY made the decision... he is trying to act like he was more involved than he really was

If there truly is bad news coming, my guess is Jeff Jones is going to decommit and commit some where else.

I wish him the best, but I have no idea why you would invite the public which would largely be Gopher fans and then announce for Stanford. Very strange.

I really think he changed his mind - or had his mind changed - during the week. The venue was changed from the gym to the media room.

Does seem very strange. I would have to guess he had mn and changed to stanford.

The post you responded to so belligerently read "people are pathetic ripping on a 17 year old kid". You responded in contrast, meaning you were defending the ripping of a 17 year old kid. Then you ended your post with a bunch of unnecessary profanity. That's what I was referring to as "over the top" if it wasn't clear.

If you don't like my necessary profanity, please feel free to block me and not read my posts. And frankly, if people want to rip a 17 year kid and his family for how they handled this...alright by me. If it was my kid, would have been handled better. If you don't like it...you can block them. Regardless, I was blazing the the poster for calling MN Fans stupid for having a passionate response to a highly charged disappointment. If you don't want a fans response, don't read a fan board. That goes the same for you.

Does seem very strange. I would have to guess he had mn and changed to stanford.

If you are flip flopping on your decision you are not ready to make one. Why not just postpone his press conference until he is 100 percent certain?

Or Mbakwe is suspended again?

dpodoll has successfully petitioned for a retroactive death penalty for the program including vacation of all records and execution of all former players and coaches. That'll learn 'em!

I kinda feel for Reid...he burned a bunch of people by inviting them to the announcement and then not letting them in. He should have tweeted the change in venue so people wouldn't have came.

I have no problem that he picked Stanford. If I had a full ride there I wouldn't have went to the U. Hell, I would have cleaned toilets to get a scholly at that school. That said, the way it went down was kind of a dick move. I suspect he got caught up in the hype and excitement and lost his head a bit. One day, he will regret it...probably over the summer during Pulley when he gets this day shoved in his face a thousand times by Gopher fans that got taken by the show this week.

This is pretty much what I think about it. I didn't find out until Barrierro brought it up a little while ago, so I am a little late to the pity party.

Time to focus on other recruits

Posting this again since the mods made a mistake.

Reid is a great kid and him picking Stanford doesn't change that. I'm incredibly disappointed, but shifting focus to 2015 for frontcourt players makes me feel a little bit better. I am now much more confident that we can land the duo of Henry Ellenson and Alex Illikainen, which would be huge. I am very skeptical that we could have gotten both if Reid was here. Time to look forward to tonight's game, this season, and other recruits. Rashad Vaughn also still gives us a chance at an elite player in this class.

This just feels like one of those situations to me where a kid is facing a bunch of pressure from the rest of his family and the family gets too involved in the kids decison. Situations like these make me thankful that when I was deciding which college to attend and play football at that my parents put no pressure on me to go to a certain school and made sure I knew it was my decison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom