Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huge Weekend for Gopher Sports!

*Here's what we have on tap... Should be a busy weekend. Lets cheer on our Gophers to victory!

Men's Basketball: vs. Lehigh (Fri) *season opener and Mathieu debut
Men's Hockey: @ #3 Notre Dame (Fri & Sat) *to remain #1 in the country/unbeaten
Men's Football: vs. Penn State (Sat) *to help our chances for the Gator Bowl
Women's Hockey: @ St. Cloud St. (Sat) *won tonight going for 60 in a row
Women's Volleyball: vs. #11 Nebraska *to take over in 2nd place in the B1G
Women's Basketball: @ UNI *season opener and Zahui B. debut

No, just his gf was. Or maybe bf??

I actually saw Rickert's girlfriend, now wife at a few places around town. She was (and I'm sure still is) one of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen in person.

I actually saw Rickert's girlfriend, now wife at a few places around town. She was (and I'm sure still is) one of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen in person.

I don't doubt that. Just trying to get myself out of the doldrums with some dumb humor. Not working.

I like it. Coach Kill and Coach Pitino and Coach Lucia have a chance to turn this weekend around. Go Gophs!

Pitino hasn't been on campus more than 8 months and you are expecting him to deliver 5 and 4 star kids in both the 2013 and 2014 classes? Please. Like I said, stick to baseball.

Sounds like you just are happy with the mediocrity of this program year in and year out, always an excuse. You realize this level of talent this year in Minnesota comes around about once in a blue moon? I understand Coach P just got here, so hopefully someday he can get some of these kids to commit. Hoping he can!

Sounds like you just are happy with the mediocrity of this program year in and year out, always an excuse. You realize this level of talent this year in Minnesota comes around about once in a blue moon? I understand Coach P just got here, so hopefully someday he can get some of these kids to commit. Hoping he can!

You sound like an idiot. By the way, the talent in 2015 and 2016 (Amir) is extremely good too, and Pitino will have had plenty of time to recruit them.

You know, if his coach gets fired he can get let out of his LOI. That is still a reasonable possibility, though somewhat unlikely. Dawkins was named on a top-10 of coaches on the hotseat by somebody from ESPN or CBS I can't remember who exactly but he was on there. It could get interesting for Reid again if Dawkins get canned after this year, then he would have to decide whether to stick with Stanford without the coach who recruited him here. But as it stands, this is a big hit for the Gophers as Reid could've been a hoss leading the Gophs to the tourney in each of his four years and had a major impact, now that's going to be a much taller task for Pitino to accomplish without him, and it seriously hurts the chances of the team to win the Big Ten in those years as well. I don't think there's anything that he did in making his announcement that was classless really, maybe he intended to allow people in but the school separately decided they didn't want visitors.

I don't think he should've picked Stanford, largely because their coach is on the hot seat, they are a program that has struggled to find success under Dawkins in spite of some really talented players such as Dwight Powell being there, and that's not a good enough situation for a top-50 player to go halfway across the country for in my opinion. The likelihood of making the tourney with him, at Stanford isn't any higher than it is at Minnesota. I just don't think it was a particularly good choice. I could've understood why he would've picked Duke, but Stanford is like Duke's little brother without any of the success. I continue to reject the notion that academics is a top reason for picking Stanford, because he's going to be playing pro basketball right after he goes to college and he's going to be using his college career for notoriety to help him obtain and succeed in his later job and not so he can get a job where the degree is all that matters for being hired. Maybe I'm wrong and Reid will eschew a pro sports career, but that's what he'd have to do to prove me wrong about the importance of academics in his decision in my mind. If you're going to be a pro athlete for a decade, you aren't picking where you play college ball because of slight academic superiority. I think Minnesota and Duke both would've been better choices for him, for different reasons.

But Reid is exactly the type of guy Minnesota has to get. Top-50 prospect, and as a local kid you've got an advantage I don't care how long Stanford had been recruiting him because I'm sure he had also been recruited by Minnesota during that time. The kid shows the new coach around campus and gives the coach a tour - you've got to get a kid like that.

This one stung. A lot. Mostly because it feels like we got trolled this past week. My brain said Stanford but my heart said the U.

That being said, academics have always been a top priority of Reid's and Stanford is arguably the best school in the country in that regard. I can't say I blame him for choosing to go there.

Best of luck to him in the future.

Our current recruiting class is ok. It's nothing to brag about. I would call it mediocre. It certainly isn't Big Ten altering.

Carlos Morris is a top 100 kid from the 2012 class.

Josh Martin was a 4 star, top 100 kid up until two days before he committed to the U. He's also a big guy that has perimeter skills, tons to like with him.

Nate Mason is widely considered to be one of the most underrated PGs in the 2014 class and dominated in the Peach Jam.

I would say that is far from mediocre. But keep trolling dude.

But Reid is exactly the type of guy Minnesota has to get. Top-50 prospect, and as a local kid you've got an advantage I don't care how long Stanford had been recruiting him because I'm sure he had also been recruited by Minnesota during that time. The kid shows the new coach around campus and gives the coach a tour - you've got to get a kid like that.

I would agree if Tubby was still coaching. He's not, Pitino had 6 months while a guy like Dawkins had 4 years. It would've been a minor miracle and a huge get if Pitino landed Reid. The odds were stacked against him.

I'v already forgot who travis reed is. He must know who the next coach of stanford will be as dukie dawkins has very little chance to survive.

Carlos Morris is a top 100 kid from the 2012 class.

Josh Martin was a 4 star, top 100 kid up until two days before he committed to the U. He's also a big guy that has perimeter skills, tons to like with him.

Nate Mason is widely considered to be one of the most underrated PGs in the 2014 class and dominated in the Peach Jam.

I would say that is far from mediocre. But keep trolling dude.

+1

I wish that the Gophers played Stanford this season.

FWIW, there's a note on the 247 board that the Gopher staff thought they had him and were pretty crushed when they found out he picked Stanford.

FWIW, there's a note on the 247 board that the Gopher staff thought they had him and were pretty crushed when they found out he picked Stanford.

Maybe it was him hanging all week with the team, coming to the scrimmage & going to classes at Carlson and talking about the connection to the staff and the current, past and future players and his connection to his hometown. Can't understand how Pitino didn't read between the lines and see that he was going to Stanford to play for a lame duck coach and compete for playing time with another top rated PF in the same class.

I wasn't able to follow along with the saga much today, but I was pretty surprised by the outcome. Maybe Reid is both intelligent and naive, but you think his parents or someone would have been able to guide him through the final stages of the recruiting process a little better. Showing up at the Gophers game and sitting behind the bench after announcing a decision date was a bad move as was inviting everyone/anyone to his announcement on Friday. Both papers published predictions of Reid to Minnesota and it was all over Twitter all week. It would have been very easy for the family to leak out that it wasn't going to be the U to one of the same people that had "strong sources" that it was going to be the U earlier in the week. The only wise decision I see is that a late call was made to move the announcement to a media room as opposed the gym.

It's kind of hard for me to believe that Reid either a. Announced a decision day before knowing where he was going or b. Decided to go to the Minnesota game after choosing Stanford.

maybe he intended to allow people in but the school separately decided they didn't want visitors.
This is true and knowing the school it was never up to Reid, either the location, our those allowed to view, is the School's decision. They've limited visitor access for over 15 years, which is consistent with most High schools in Minneapolis.

I continue to reject the notion that academics is a top reason for picking Stanford, because he's going to be playing pro basketball right after he goes to college and he's going to be using his college career for notoriety to help him obtain and succeed in his later job and not so he can get a job where the degree is all that matters for being hired.

I think you have to think about how many opportunities there actually are in the NBA. 60 new players get in each year, some from College, some from Europe, etc. Of those 60 maybe 30 stick, if that. There are something like 4000 kids playing College ball. Approximately 1000 leave, thus your shot of making it pro are somewhere between 2%-6%. That doesn't count injuries, positions, politics (i.e. coach's doghouse situations), or any other factors.

Academics is far more important than most kids think. Reid and his family have communicated for years that it was the most important part of the decision.

Saw Reid at Ridgedale Chammpps tonight (all Stanford gear on) for what looked like a nice family + extended family dinner (must have been 20+ people). I was busy trying to get the kids going on our way out the door and just happened to look up and see him sitting right in the middle of the crew.

As a Gopher fan, obviously the news today was really disappointing for me. But seeing him with his family got me to thinking about my own kids and how I'd feel if they are fortunate enough to have the same options when they are Reid's age. I also thought about what a long road it must be for the families - all the youth tournaments, games, practices, time in the gym, car time, flights (nowadays)... Today was the payoff for the Travis family.

Again, I just caught a quick look at Reid as we walked by, but he was just sitting there, completely relaxed and with just a great, quiet smile on his face, and just taking it all in (it wasn't a loud gathering at all; just a quiet, but happy group). I'd imagine I'm as far removed from Reid and his family as one can get so of course I know nothing about what kind of kid he is or what his family is like, but even from that quick look it was obvious this was a really special night for a 17/18 year old kid and his family.

I don't know... I'm disappointed he's not going to be a Gopher, but seeing them tonight made me feel really happy for him and his fam.

This is true and knowing the school it was never up to Reid, either the location, our those allowed to view, is the School's decision. They've limited visitor access for over 15 years, which is consistent with most High schools in Minneapolis.

You can't tell me that no one at DLS or in the Travis family was aware of the buzz about the announcement and couldn't have tweeted or spoke to any one the 30 press folks about the fact that the announcement was being made in the media room and that outside guests weren't welcome or space wasn't available or anything. This is why I don't give him or them a pass. He tweeted the invite. It didn't say students and family only. I call bull****.

You can't tell me that no one at DLS or in the Travis family was aware of the buzz about the announcement and couldn't have tweeted or spoke to any one the 30 press folks about the fact that the announcement was being made in the media room and that outside guests weren't welcome or space wasn't available or anything. This is why I don't give him or them a pass. He tweeted the invite. It didn't say students and family only. I call bull****.

I agree some sort of announcement could have been made earlier in the day, but its a school, if I had kids there and they let in a bunch of crazy fans I would be pissed off.

Our current recruiting class is ok. It's nothing to brag about. I would call it mediocre. It certainly isn't Big Ten altering.

Depends on your what you define as mediocre I guess. Couple guys could be good, but agree it does not look like a program changing class. With not much in the class in front of them, Pitino is going to need some big time players or JUCO's to fill the available scholarships and get some butts in the seats...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom