Quarterback Position

Hey MaroonGold1, are dropped passes 'real' incompletions or 'fake' ones?

Well considering it's a tracked star to truly evaluate a QBs performance someone agrees they should be separated. Same goes for yard per attempt going into QB Efficiency numbers, thus there is separation between dump offs and other completions.

If we're being extremely literal, why did you put " " around fake, since I never called anything "fake"?

If we're just having a discussion about QB play, I will stick with my initial post. Leidner completed 52% of his passes, 1 of which traveled 8+ yds in the air, against a D1-AA team, lost ANOTHER fumble, took a couple of sacks (held the ball way too long on each), and basically did nothing to change my original opinion that the QB play is far more of a concern than anyone is bringing up. Again, lots of talk this offseason about the "leadership" of Leidner, none about whether he is a D1 QB

did nothing to change my original opinion that the QB play is far more of a concern than anyone is bringing up.

Huh? You think others aren't concerned about our QB situation? Where have you been looking? GHers have expressed concern. Local media has expressed concern. National media has expressed concern. Killjoy will be able to tell you that TDGers have expressed concern. You think you're in the minority just because others aren't ready to give up on ML7?

If we're being extremely literal, why did you put " " around fake, since I never called anything "fake"?

If we're just having a discussion about QB play, I will stick with my initial post. Leidner completed 52% of his passes, 1 of which traveled 8+ yds in the air, against a D1-AA team, lost ANOTHER fumble, took a couple of sacks (held the ball way too long on each), and basically did nothing to change my original opinion that the QB play is far more of a concern than anyone is bringing up. Again, lots of talk this offseason about the "leadership" of Leidner, none about whether he is a D1 QB

I'm pretty sure most posters have expressed that QB play was their #1 concern with the team coming into the season. And if it wasn't #1, it was very high on the list. I'm not sure how you've missed that.

Huh? You think others aren't concerned about our QB situation? Where have you been looking? GHers have expressed concern. Local media has expressed concern. National media has expressed concern. Killjoy will be able to tell you that TDGers have expressed concern. You think you're in the minority just because others aren't ready to give up on ML7?

My God, do people ever read the entire posts? "My original opinion" - if you need a refresher, it was the one that started this thread. The entire offseason talk (in the media + from the coaching staff) was about what a great leader Leidner had become, I found it puzzling there was no talk (in the media or from the coaching staff) about whether he was actually capable of being an ok BigTen QB or not. Again, that opinion has not changed based off what I saw week 1. I thought he held the ball too long, fumbled, and we had no semblance of a downfield passing game.

I'm pretty sure most posters have expressed that QB play was their #1 concern with the team coming into the season. And if it wasn't #1, it was very high on the list. I'm not sure how you've missed that.

Please see 1st post in this thread for my "initial post" if you are confused.

My God, do people ever read the entire posts? "My original opinion" - if you need a refresher, it was the one that started this thread. The entire offseason talk (in the media + from the coaching staff) was about what a great leader Leidner had become, I found it puzzling there was no talk (in the media or from the coaching staff) about whether he was actually capable of being an ok BigTen QB or not. Again, that opinion has not changed based off what I saw week 1. I thought he held the ball too long, fumbled, and we had no semblance of a downfield passing game.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

If I am not mistaken Leidner was a very good passer in high school as well. Can't really put much stock in that.

difference is Perra was the A.P. player of the year in the state.. Leidner was not.
in H.S., Perra > Leidner... put stock in that.

2013 — Jacques Perra, QB, Roseville

2012 — Bridgeport Tusler, RB, Osseo

2011 — Philip Nelson, QB, Mankato West

2010 — Reggie Gandy, RB, DeLaSalle

2009 — Seantrel Henderson, OL, Cretin-Derham Hall

2008 — James Peterson, QB, Blaine

2007 — Michael Floyd, WR, Cretin-Derham Hall

2006 — Michael Floyd, WR, Cretin-Derham Hall

2005 — Jake Machacek, RB, Eastview

2004 — Nick Mertens, QB, East Grand Forks

2003 — Nathan Swift, RB, Hutchinson

Yep, thats all that matters. Just make sure to ignore all the variables that make that way of comparing the two irrelevant.

Going back to the Croft conversation just FYI 247 director of recruiting Steve Wiltfong believes Demry could possibly end up being the best Big 10 QB commit in the 2015 class.

The entire offseason talk (in the media + from the coaching staff) was about what a great leader Leidner had become, I found it puzzling there was no talk (in the media or from the coaching staff) about whether he was actually capable of being an ok BigTen QB or not.

A. Media - apparently you missed every "5-keys" or "What to watch for" article.

B. Coaches - I find it puzzling that you found it puzzling the coaching staff didn't publicly question Mitch's ability.

Going back to the Croft conversation just FYI 247 director of recruiting Steve Wiltfong believes Demry could possibly end up being the best Big 10 QB commit in the 2015 class.

Croft reminds me of Colin Kaepernick when he was at Nevada. Not saying he will be as good as Kaepernick (I hope he does) but just the combination of size and speed.

When you consider the opponent, it was a poor performance. The TD to Jones is a pick but he was effectively wild. He didn't look comfortable at all. He wasn't reading the defense. It was just bad. Concerning.

He needs to improve. He needs to gain confidence, go through his reads, and make decisive throws. Let's hope he improves next week.

I think some of us need to relax a little, embrace the season and our loose cannon's development. Maybe they should play this before his first series to lighten the mood down there

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8Mi3KNEpbA4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When you consider the opponent, it was a poor performance. The TD to Jones is a pick but he was effectively wild. He didn't look comfortable at all. He wasn't reading the defense. It was just bad. Concerning.

He needs to improve. He needs to gain confidence, go through his reads, and make decisive throws. Let's hope he improves next week.

Again - prove this versus the hypothesis that he read the defender's break and delivered the ball exactly where it need to be.

I don't think the DB was as close to getting that INT as it looked. The DB was in front of Jones and the ball was thrown low and behind Jones. The only way the DB gets to that ball is if he goes through Donovahn. It still wasn't a pretty throw but not an almost INT like many are claiming.

http://btn.com/2014/08/28/live-on-btnbtn2go-eastern-illinois-at-minnesota/

Watch the video at the link above.

Again - prove this versus the hypothesis that he read the defender's break and delivered the ball exactly where it need to be.
I've never seen a QB get so much grief for a completed TD pass.

I think some of us need to relax a little, embrace the season and our loose cannon's development. Maybe they should play this before his first series to lighten the mood down there

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8Mi3KNEpbA4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was wondering what happened to the cannon. I didn't know it was loose but I am for anything that will help us get it back. In all seriousness I like your approach.

Adam Weber?

No "bleep".

Mitch shared another problem with Weber. Seldom had much time to throw behind that much vaunted Offensive Line and against Eastern Illinois at that. Granted, the Panthers blitzed a whole lot, but still..?

It was the opener and, like the 4th Quarter last Thursday, it should get better. Hopefully starting tomorrow.

Your username says it all.

S19, serious question. What does that make you? (You're sort of implying that it's bad to be a homer, right?)

Is it someone who constantly complains about their favorite team and sees nothing but flaws? That sounds awesome. Sign me up.

So the team that finished top 8 in FCS is an implied pushover. Folks this isn't 1995, top FCS teams can compete. Let's see how EI season goes before we chalk it up as a bad team.

I don't think the DB was as close to getting that INT as it looked. The DB was in front of Jones and the ball was thrown low and behind Jones. The only way the DB gets to that ball is if he goes through Donovahn. It still wasn't a pretty throw but not an almost INT like many are claiming.

http://btn.com/2014/08/28/live-on-btnbtn2go-eastern-illinois-at-minnesota/

Watch the video at the link above.

I actually thought Jones did a good job using his body to 'shield' the ball from the defender.

It was a TD. That is all that matters. Those that use it as a reason to rip on ML7 have already made up their mind on him and won't be pleased with anything. These are the same folks that wanted him last year, Nelson the year before, Shortell the year before that, etc. They also loved DRM what recruited, but now already want Croft. And so the cycle goes.

I have heard a lot of rumors that ML7 has a cannon for an arm. I think we found out where it went.

After watching the game on tv the other night, you can tell that the pass protection had many missed assignments that can easily be corrected. Most were missed blocks by the TE/FB/RB. I am sure they are already working on correcting those.

No "bleep".

Mitch shared another problem with Weber. Seldom had much time to throw behind that much vaunted Offensive Line and against Eastern Illinois at that. Granted, the Panthers blitzed a whole lot, but still..?

It was the opener and, like the 4th Quarter last Thursday, it should get better. Hopefully starting tomorrow.

Agreed. Although, I have to say that I have been a pretty big critic of ML7 because, now with PN9 out of the picture, I have high expectations for him to be able to improve. I do get that it is the first game, but it is frustrating to see some of the same problems resurface. Here's to hoping ML7 is able to vastly improve upon last week and prove the doubters wrong (including myself)!

Top Bottom