Quarterback Position

As a natural leader, I agree with your comment.

I have almost gotten tired of this...but not quit. Aren't you dead?

As for the leadership thing...it would be very rare for a less experienced player who is not a starter to take the reigns...especially at QB. Just doesn't happen.

If Leidner had started the bowl game and then still had to be propped up by the Coaches, I would be concerned. But Leidner was handed the reigns when Nelson left and he took them...so I am not worried.

Commit Demry Croft had a hell of game last week: 30 of 38 passes for 418 yards in Boylan's 41-13 win over Freeport

Read more: http://www.rrstar.com/article/20140903/Blogs/140909832#ixzz3CJ1LJTrH

Demry Croft had the greatest high school passing game I have ever seen in my 33 years as a sports writer last week, completing 30 of 38 passes for 418 yards in Boylan's 41-13 win over Freeport.

I don't understand why we don't have major powers in the nation looking at him," Appino said. "I don't get it. He's going to be 6-6 and 225. He makes all the throws and he can run. He's a guy who can play on Sundays I think.

Commit Demry Croft had a hell of game last week: 30 of 38 passes for 418 yards in Boylan's 41-13 win over Freeport

Read more: http://www.rrstar.com/article/20140903/Blogs/140909832#ixzz3CJ1LJTrH

Croft looks like a really good athlete. To be honest, I'm not sold on his passing abilities. His throwing motion is a little funky and his mechanics need work. Not saying he won't be a great QB, but I'm not convinced yet that he's the next big thing. Here are some highlights from his first game.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/1860035/highlights/161053856' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

His throwing motion is a little funky and his mechanics need work.

Yeah. It almost feels like he "pushes" the ball to some degree (if that makes sense). Something with his elbow position.

I think Kill & Co. will probably have him work on his quick release. His throw tempo has almost a laziness to it which matches up with his 6'5" frame and long strides. He's running hell'a fast, but it looks like slow motion because his strides are so long. Same thing with his throwing motion. Check out the throw at 1:26 and compare that in your head to the zip that Aaron Rogers or Peyton Manning seem to generate with their upper bodies on the shorter throws.

But he's a beast and I'm glad we got him.

Yeah. It almost feels like he "pushes" the ball to some degree (if that makes sense). Something with his elbow position.

I think Kill & Co. will probably have him work on his quick release. His throw tempo has almost a laziness to it which matches up with his 6'5" frame and long strides. He's running hell'a fast, but it looks like slow motion because his strides are so long. Same thing with his throwing motion. Check out the throw at 1:26 and compare that in your head to the zip that Aaron Rogers or Peyton Manning seem to generate with their upper bodies on the shorter throws.

But he's a beast and I'm glad we got him.

Don't follow close enough to know the whole back story but something here doesn't add up when a 6'5" 200+ QB only has one BCS offer and it isn't from either of the two Big Ten Schools in his home state.

Problem with a game like the one he just had is it might make some teams take another look. Still it would seem to me that if his future was at QB he would be garnering a bit more attention from the bigger schools so there must be something (grades, build, mechanics....) that is keeping them away.

And yet if MSU or Wisconsin or Michigan came calling all of a sudden he'd be a stud, wonky throwing or not. He's only been a QB for a short time and if he has another great season we'll be hoping we can hang on to him. Ultimately the coaches will live and die by the players they recruit including the all-important QB position. If they whiff on Leidner, Streveler, DRM, and Croft the bloom will officially be off the rose. It gets old to say it but we have to trust the coaches that he has the ability to throw with velocity and accuracy. The rest is upstairs and he seems like a smart kid in interviews. When the lights go on some shrink (Nelson) and some perform. Time will tell.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm VERY concerned with Mitch Leidner. He looked like a DIII QB opening night. Simple throws were not simple for him. He looked like he had tunnel vision. Inaccurate. Very, very poor performance.

I haven't seen much of Streveler but he can run. I've seen Perra in HS and he can actually throw it a bit. He might be the best QB on the team...

Croft, we need ya man.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm VERY concerned with Mitch Leidner. He looked like a DIII QB opening night. Simple throws were not simple for him. He looked like he had tunnel vision. Inaccurate. Very, very poor performance.

I haven't seen much of Streveler but he can run. I've seen Perra in HS and he can actually throw it a bit. He might be the best QB on the team...

Croft, we need ya man.

If I am not mistaken Leidner was a very good passer in high school as well. Can't really put much stock in that.

Very, very poor performance.

A completion percentage higher than 50% with a TD and no picks is a "very, very poor performance"?

Good thing that no one is prone to hyperbole around here.

A completion percentage higher than 50% with a TD and no picks is a "very, very poor performance"?

Good thing that no one is prone to hyperbole around here.

A QB with a 143 rating and who is rated 5th in the B1G for QBs that have over 15 pass attempts is "very, very poor"? Hmmm....

A QB with a 143 rating and who is rated 5th in the B1G for QBs that have over 15 pass attempts is "very, very poor"? Hmmm....

I think he was a little strong with the "very very poor" comment, but if you think that was a good performance from Leidner it is going to be a loooong year.

To the poster that commented he had a completion % over 50%... Barely, with 6 of the 9 completions coming within 5 yards of the LOS. The throw to Jones for the TD was an awful throw, that is picked or batted down 90% of the time.

Not to mention, he fumbled.. again

I think he was a little strong with the "very very poor" comment, but if you think that was a good performance from Leidner it is going to be a loooong year.

To the poster that commented he had a completion % over 50%... Barely, with 6 of the 9 completions coming within 5 yards of the LOS. The throw to Jones for the TD was an awful throw, that is picked or batted down 90% of the time.

Good thing that "barely" still counts.

Also, no one said that he had a "good performance", but I do have to commend you on the quality of your strawman construction.

Again we won the game and that is what the coaches wanted to see.

8 B1G QB's threw at least 1 interception last week, Leidner was not one of them. Leidner is top 6 in rating and completion percentage after 1 week. Let's see if he builds on it this week.

Very true. He will have to step up his game (especially as we start the B1G season), but I wanted to quell the torches & pitchfork group. Could Leidner be better? Absolutely. Will he? I think so, but if not, we're in for 2013 part 2, which offensively wasn't pretty.

About this Croft kid, good lord what size shoe does he wear ? I watched a little of his highlights and he does look pretty good running the ball but the thing that really stood out to me was the size of his feet. I'm guessing somewhere around size 16 or bigger!

Things like this have been said a lot over the past week and there is absolutely no proof to support it. It is just as factual to conclude that Leidner saw the DB breaking and delivered a strike to where only his receiver could catch it. Oh, and now we're complaining about which types of completions he threw...my lord.

Things like this have been said a lot over the past week and there is absolutely no proof to support it. It is just as factual to conclude that Leidner saw the DB breaking and delivered a strike to where only his receiver could catch it. Oh, and now we're complaining about which types of completions he threw...my lord.

I have found that reading the GopherHole is a great substitute for the comics. There are some very funny things said here. Some are meant to be funny and others are not, but are still quite funny. In recognition of this I am going to be awarding the "Wren" to those posts that make me smile and chuckle. This one did.

Of course there is no proof to support it, it was his one real completion of the game, and to me (and most others) it looked like a very poor throw that he was lucky to get away with.

We'll see how it goes this weekend, we'll obviously need a better passing game vs TCU + Michigan then we had last Thursday

I have prepared a few Streveler nicknames.
1. The Boston Streveler
2. Strawberry Strevel (land o lakes cap tip)
3. Stars and Streveler Forever.

Of course there is no proof to support it, it was his one real completion of the game, and to me (and most others) it looked like a very poor throw that he was lucky to get away with.

He had a nice throw to Maxx down the sideline as well, I forget which quarter though.

I have prepared a few Streveler nicknames.
1. The Boston Streveler
2. Strawberry Strevel (land o lakes cap tip)
3. Stars and Streveler Forever.

Don't quit your day job.

Wait...maybe you should. It appears your day job is bitching about ML7.

Wow! The "wrens" keep on coming! Absolutely know more today.

You are on to something Killjoy! Perhaps you should put these ones up for nomination and award "The Wren" at the end of the week. You could include one of the original wren's post as an acceptance speech.

Once awarded "The Wren", the worthy poster could use that on their avatar....Wren Award 2014.

I think folks think about our QB play from last year as "Phillip Leidner" and have a bad taste in their mouth from all the bad throws that Nelson actually had vs. Leidner. Nelson was the one airmailing things all over the field down the stretch not Leidner. I think he has the ability to make the throws and I'm hopeful that he will. That said, I don't get the nerves issue from game one. Maybe a play or two or a series but he looked shaky the entire first half and while a bit better in the second half not great. He's thinking too much. I think the coaches pushing him as a captain, et al is a stretch and that it's forced and I don't think the kids on the team consider him their leader per se it's more that Kill has annointed him that and I think that there are a lot of dynamics involved that could backfire. We'll know sooner vs. later whether he can handle everything they're putting on his plate.

If they whiff on Leidner, Streveler, DRM, and Croft the bloom will officially be off the rose.

OK, if they do maybe - but you just listed a rSO, rFR, tFR, ands HS senior. We are sooooooo far from determining which of these guys we whiff on and which we don't - years away. Only 1 guy on this list has thrown more than one pass in CFB and he has started only 5 games.

I know you are saying to let it play out as well - just wanted to put this whole discussion in context.

Can you please define the difference between real and fake completions?

Well considering he completed 9 passes, and this was the one that wasn't a dumpoff to a rb / te or a quick WR screen, it should be fairly obvious what I meant. Thanks for adding to the discussion today (sarcasm font)

Well considering he completed 9 passes, and this was the one that wasn't a dumpoff to a rb / te or a quick WR screen, it should be fairly obvious what I meant. Thanks for adding to the discussion today (sarcasm font)

We all knew exactly what you meant. The rest were passes that toddlers could complete, right?

I'll e-mail the NFL, NCAA, and NFHS to let them know that dumpoffs and screens aren't real completions anymore.

Top Bottom