Quarterback Position

We'll never know, but......

What would the team dynamic have been if Nelson had returned? There have been suggestions that each QB had his supporters among the rest of the team. (possibly more supporting Leidner than Nelson). One could argue that the team is better off having a clear-cut starter - instead of a situation where (potentially) the team could have developed factions based on which QB was starting.

Something else we will probably never know: The Coaches have been raving about Leidner's leadership. Would we be hearing the same thing if Nelson was still on the roster? Are the coaches sincere, or are they just trying to pump up Leidner's confidence?

Join us tomorrow for another episode of "As the Gophers turn."

Kill has said over & over that he wants competition at every position because competition pushes players to get better, knowing they have to bring the goods every single day since there's someone right behind them if they slip. Now suddenly, having no competition, at a position he never won outright is better so that the team knows he's the man?

I'm really not ripping on Leidner, I think he'll do well & pray he stays healthy, I just think it's a departure from their competition at every position makes everyone better formula.

Have to wonder if our qb will get less carries this year. Nice to have a clear cut #1 but having an 'equivalent' back-up would be nice also.

Considering how "dependent" we are on the read option varieties in this offense I doubt it. There will be running. If leidner goes down Streveler will come in and be an even better runner. From some accounts he's not a great passer but he doesn't need to be in this offense. He just has to be better than #9 and you all know how I feel about that.

Demry croft will be next in line. I doubt Perra, Rhoda, Mckinzy will ever see the field. JMO. Perhaps Mckinzy and Streveler will battle it out if Leidner flops.

Really?, I beg to differ. An ultimatum is far different.

I would think that most likely JK brought up the plan of an open competition to PN before PN raised an ultimatum. Can't see a sophomore demanding of his coach that he be the recognized starter via an ultimatum without being told of an adverse plan initially. Then again maybe PN had the ego to do so.

Kill has said over & over that he wants competition at every position because competition pushes players to get better, knowing they have to bring the goods every single day since there's someone right behind them if they slip. Now suddenly, having no competition, at a position he never won outright is better so that the team knows he's the man?

I'm really not ripping on Leidner, I think he'll do well & pray he stays healthy, I just think it's a departure from their competition at every position makes everyone better formula.

I would imagine if PN hadn't taken his pail and shovel back home then the two would be having an epic battle for the reins. The departure from competition now is just reflective of the lack of a true peer for ML to compete against - certainly not the choice of JK and staff.

Considering how "dependent" we are on the read option varieties in this offense I doubt it. There will be running. If leidner goes down Streveler will come in and be an even better runner. From some accounts he's not a great passer but he doesn't need to be in this offense. He just has to be better than #9 and you all know how I feel about that.

Demry croft will be next in line. I doubt Perra, Rhoda, Mckinzy will ever see the field. JMO. Perhaps Mckinzy and Streveler will battle it out if Leidner flops.

I agree given the lack of rave reviews regarding the backups that Demry will have a grand opportunity to pass several of them quickly.

So now it's not the untested freshman that is going to be the QB savior but rather a high school recruit? We're burning through QB's like nobodies business.

Im excited to see these guys in action. Ideally Leidner will be starting for the next 3 years until Croft is ready, with Streveler coming in sporadically as needed. Streveler could be an excellent MN QB If he can hit his passes, wonky delivery or not since he is a dynamic runner. Our QBs need to be able to run or be a legit threat to run..just the way it is.

Perra looks like Peyton Manning running the ball and that isn't going to scare anyone. The coaches will have to decide if they think Streveler or Roden-Mckinzy (jiminy Christmas) will be the better #2.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being excited to see the development of Demry Croft. He could be sensational.

This is kind of what I was getting at by starting this thread. What I gather from the lack of competition is that the coaching staff knows Strevler is not a Big Ten passer. Which is worrisome when you have an offense based around the read option and the QB taking off.

Im excited to see these guys in action. Ideally Leidner will be starting for the next 3 years until Croft is ready, with Streveler coming in sporadically as needed. Streveler could be an excellent MN QB If he can hit his passes, wonky delivery or not since he is a dynamic runner. Our QBs need to be able to run or be a legit threat to run..just the way it is.

Perra looks like Peyton Manning running the ball and that isn't going to scare anyone. The coaches will have to decide if they think Streveler or Roden-Mckinzy (jiminy Christmas) will be the better #2.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being excited to see the development of Demry Croft. He could be sensational.

This is the prime example of going overboard with recruits. Kid isnt even on campus yet. Croft will get on campus and get written off in his redshirt season just like you already wrote off McKinzy and the new QB commit will be the hot new commodity.

This is kind of what I was getting at by starting this thread. What I gather from the lack of competition is that the coaching staff knows Strevler is not a Big Ten passer. Which is worrisome when you have an offense based around the read option and the QB taking off.

It sounds like you have already made up your mind that Leidner is such a terrible QB that if a freshman can't beat him out, that freshman must really suck.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Here's a cut and paste for you, Costa. However, you always learn more if you actually read them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Nelson picked Minnesota over Wisconsin, where his father played, it gave new Gophers coach Jerry Kill his first marquee recruit and proved he could keep Minnesota talent.

But despite starting 16 games the last two seasons, the storybook roll didn’t last. Nelson and the entire offense sputtered in season-ending losses to Wisconsin, Michigan State and Syracuse.

The Texas Bowl was particularly humiliating. Nelson misfired badly and got benched after two series in favor of Mitch Leidner.

Three weeks after the bowl game, Nelson went to Kill’s office seeking answers. According to people familiar with the discussion, Nelson asked for assurance that he’d be the clear No. 1 quarterback heading into his junior year. Kill shook his head and told him he’d have to win the job.

Instead, Nelson announced he was transferring, looking for a more pass-centered offense. Pat Nelson, who tightly manages his son’s career, said they were contemplating the move long before the bowl game.

http://www.startribune.com/local/259677211.html

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I still don't see anything in this about going into Kill's office & issuing him an ultimatum though? It says he was seeking answers & assurances that he'd be #1. When he didn't get it, he decided to transfer. That's quite different than the original post.

Something else we will probably never know: The Coaches have been raving about Leidner's leadership. Would we be hearing the same thing if Nelson was still on the roster? Are the coaches sincere, or are they just trying to pump up Leidner's confidence?

Join us tomorrow for another episode of "As the Gophers turn."

It could be that Leidner and Nelson being roommates and friends affected on of them stepping up as a true leader. Maybe they were ok with the other getting snaps and that played into them not pushing each other enough. There are so many angles to look at that we just don't know for sure. Kill hinted in comments a couple weeks ago that the staff regretted not finding a clear starter sooner.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I still don't see anything in this about going into Kill's office & issuing him an ultimatum though? It says he was seeking answers & assurances that he'd be #1. When he didn't get it, he decided to transfer. That's quite different than the original post.

Wait? What?

I'm quite sure Pat Nelson issued the ultimatum. He was a regular at Bierman.

My brother was at today's practice and he said the qbs looked very sharp, especially Leidner and Streveler. He also said Rhoda is no. 3 and Parra looks very good. He thinks the qb situation is in good hands. He was a DII qb in college and is now an offensive coordinator for a local high school so I trust his judgment. I was there on Monday and thought the same things. I think you guys who are ripping the qbs will need to sit down to a fine crow dinner. And if some guy at Cretin beat out Rhoda, he must be pretty good.

My brother was at today's practice and he said the qbs looked very sharp, especially Leidner and Streveler. He also said Rhoda is no. 3 and Parra looks very good. He thinks the qb situation is in good hands. He was a DII qb in college and is now an offensive coordinator for a local high school so I trust his judgment. I was there on Monday and thought the same things. I think you guys who are ripping the qbs will need to sit down to a fine crow dinner. And if some guy at Cretin beat out Rhoda, he must be pretty good.

Thanks for posting this.

If you comparte the stats, from last season, neither QB jumps out, but of the 136 points that the offense scored in conference play last season (when both QBs were available), 109 were scored when Nelson was under center. I'm not sure that the drop off to the #2 QB would be that great this season, but that's not exactly reassuring. Fingers crossed.

Good to hear. What is the last line supposed to mean? No one at Cretin beat out Rhoda.

Back on topic... This should worry everyone.

Like I said, why should this be so worrisome? Leidner has game experience, part of which was starting a game in the Big House. Streveler spent the majority of last year with a cast on his throwing hand and couldn't even be the QB for the scout team. The gap makes perfect sense to me.

If you comparte the stats, from last season, neither QB jumps out, but of the 136 points that the offense scored in conference play last season (when both QBs were available), 109 were scored when Nelson was under center. I'm not sure that the drop off to the #2 QB would be that great this season, but that's not exactly reassuring. Fingers crossed.

That's a pretty irrelevant stat if it doesn't take into account how much they each actually played...

In an offense where you expect the quarterback to run this much and take big hits down field, you better have a #2 ready to go who is competent. I am sure the staff would have prefered that Nelson stay, improve, and fight for the number one spot. If either guy was a lights out passer they would have designed the offense to protect that asset more. If Leidner emerges as head and shoulders above his competition now I would expect them to protect him more and modify his tendancies, if they are all relatively interchangeable we will see more of the same as last year with one guy getting most of the snaps but other guys coming in when he gets his bell rung too hard.

Good to hear. What is the last line supposed to mean? No one at Cretin beat out Rhoda.

Yea, I did not quite get that one either...

LakerFan- Thats pretty astute. tho the past 4 years the coaching staff has had a pocket passer and scramblers and the called play 'QB takes it up the middle' seems to have always been a common play call.

+1
My take also. I like Rhoda but I think by next year either McKinsy or Parra will be number 3. For freshmen, both look pretty good to me - neither ready to play yet.

Top Bottom