Quarterback Position

Nelson was recruited to run the spread-option out of the shotgun. We then switched the offense to the current pro-style, under center with play action. By doing that we go from needing a dual-threat QB who can sling the ball, to a strong armed pocket passer. Goodbye Nelson, hello Leidner. I believe we just didn't have the play makers at WR to make that system work at the time. The staff took stock of what they did have to work with & it was linemen, tight ends & runners, so here we are. Nelson, like Leidner this season didn't have many WR's to work with.

I don't blame the QB for all of the passing game struggles, and some of our lack of production is certainly due to drops and inability to get open by WRs. What my problem is, is I expect a Big 10 quarterback to be able to take an open receiver and make a catchable pass to him. If Dr. Don and I are out on the field, and through some major missed assignment we both get open, the ball should hit one of us in the hands. Through 13 games last year and 2 this year, both Nelson and Leidner would repeatedly miss short, easy, open passes.

I don't blame the QB for all of the passing game struggles, and some of our lack of production is certainly due to drops and inability to get open by WRs. What my problem is, is I expect a Big 10 quarterback to be able to take an open receiver and make a catchable pass to him. If Dr. Don and I are out on the field, and through some major missed assignment we both get open, the ball should hit one of us in the hands. Through 13 games last year and 2 this year, both Nelson and Leidner would repeatedly miss short, easy, open passes.

I'd be happy if they hit open receivers 60% of the time. I'm not greedy.

Double post (to get this back on track): Kill apparently just stated that Leidner would be ready to go Saturday:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nelson was recruited to run the spread-option out of the shotgun. We then switched the offense to the current pro-style, under center with play action. By doing that we go from needing a dual-threat QB who can sling the ball, to a strong armed pocket passer. Goodbye Nelson, hello Leidner. I believe we just didn't have the play makers at WR to make that system work at the time. The staff took stock of what they did have to work with & it was linemen, tight ends & runners, so here we are. Nelson, like Leidner this season didn't have many WR's to work with.

Is that right? PN came to Kill's system, not Brew's. Not saying you're incorrect, but this sounds odd. Seems to me you'd be correct if you inserted "Gray" in for "Nelson", above.

Is that right? PN came to Kill's system, not Brew's. Not saying you're incorrect, but this sounds odd. Seems to me you'd be correct if you inserted "Gray" in for "Nelson", above.

CRG is right. It was initially more of an option spread.

Top Bottom