POST GAME THREAD: GOPHERS COMPLETE HOLLYWOOD SWEEP!!

SON,

They also call some weird routes deep that are not really throws a lot of QBs are good at. Part of me think they do it to keep the safeties honest. He definitely has a limited skillset but his brain and patience are top shelf which is why he is efficient and puts the team in a good position most of the time.

What's funny is every year we talk about how Fleck will change the offense but he never did it...until now. What we run now is nothing like we ran before. It really shows what Fleck will do when he trusts the QB. If Drake has his trust as well...next year could be fun as heck to watch! There will be growing pains obviously but this offense could become something pretty exciting.

Think we need some more speed and quickness at WR. It seems our guys have some difficulty in getting separation.

Last edited:

Browner and the defense continue to blossom, but where is the running game?!? If we could run the ball similar to past years, we’d be tough as nails.
Brosmer?

But if we had Joey Browner on our defense that would be cool.

after further thought - in the "in-game" thread there was a long argument about Brosmer and the deep ball.

my take - Brosmer does a lot of things very well. He does not throw a great deep ball. that does not make him a bad QB. it just makes him a QB who does a lot of things well, but doesn't do everything well. but what he does is good enough to win.

the bottom line is that the Gophers have an offense that is tailored to what the QB does well - quick passes with a lot of short and intermediate routes, and intelligent use of check-downs, screens and using the RB's in the passing game.

next year, the offense may look different with a different QB. that might be the most encouraging thing about the season - the fact that the Gopher coaches are willing to adjust the offense to fit the skills of the QB - NOT trying to force the QB to fit a pre-determined offensive scheme.
I would say he hasn’t made the best deep throws by any means, but the WRs haven’t really had much separation either. Most of the ones I’ve seen him throw were not really catchable.

Have I been missing all the times this year we have gone into "turtle" mode and played for a field goal? I don't get why some of you are so convinced we are going to do that when we seem to be doing the opposite game after game.
Our kicker has missed 7 FGs, so we better not be playing for FGs this season

Our kicker has missed 7 FGs, so we better not be playing for FGs this season
6 and 3 of those were from 50+ but still a valid point as it is really tough to trust Kesich right now. I know I was relieved when we put in that last TD because kickers are so vital in OT and I did not want to see us in a position where we had to count on Kesich for a game winner.

Thought the defense came to play, forced the turnover in the second quarter and after the half. Both plays they only rushed four. Garbers was otherwise (I thought) excellent and was making plays. UCLA looked better than their record. That first defensive series after the half was critical and the guys came out with their hair on fire and crushed it. Forced the short punt setting up the TD.

PJ, I’m sorry for doubting ya. Coming back from a two score deficit at the half, scoring 21 second half points despite a horrendous run game…this is just a different team and coach than we’re used to seeing. Like UNC this game could have gone the other way at the end but he and the guys pulled it out. Brosmer finding the open man at critical junctures, Koi exploding onto the scene, and this aggressive style defense feels like a reset switch has been flipped.

Gritty win. Great to see.

All three phases executed well in the final 5-minute stretch of the game. Downing the punt at the 3 was HUGE. Henderson making a key tackle in space on 3rd down to force them to give the ball back to us. The throwback to Brockington on 3rd down to move the sticks. Great execution by Brosmer on the crosser to DT for the winner.

It all needed to happen, and it did.

Gritty win. Great to see.

All three phases executed well in the final 5-minute stretch of the game. Downing the punt at the 3 was HUGE. Henderson making a key tackle in space on 3rd down to force them to give the ball back to us. The throwback to Brockington on 3rd down to move the sticks. Great execution by Brosmer on the crosser to DT for the winner.

It all needed to happen, and it did.
Crawford has taken a lot of flack over the years but that punt was massive because it forced UCLA to play it super safe in the shadow of their own endzone.

Picking up the flag on the Jackson forcible contact to head or neck area…still not sure what defenseless means, targeting means. The rule specifically says defenseless means:
  • A player with the ball who is already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped

Pereira says it has to be the top of the crown…but the rule states:
  • If the player leads with their helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact the head or neck area of an opposing player

So, ten years later nobody has a f***ing clue what the rule is or how to enforce it consistently

Picking up the flag on the Jackson forcible contact to head or neck area…still not sure what defenseless means, targeting means. The rule specifically says defenseless means:
  • A player with the ball who is already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped

Pereira says it has to be the top of the crown…but the rule states:
  • If the player leads with their helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact the head or neck area of an opposing player

So, ten years later nobody has a f***ing clue what the rule is or how to enforce it consistently
They should just get rid of the rule. It's called so inconsistently.

Crawford has taken a lot of flack over the years but that punt was massive because it forced UCLA to play it super safe in the shadow of their own endzone.
And then UCLA runs their series, virtually no time comes off the clock and we get great position.

That had to really kill the UCLA fans spirit.

We know that sinking feeling….

Watched replay just now and think Major should have gotten more carries. His style of hitting designated hole faster, rather than being patient and looking for hole like Taylor does, seemed to be more effective. Not always the case, of course, but with the way UCLA was clogging everything up, Major seemed to at least get some more yards after contact.

BTW, it was a terrible spot on the 2nd and 7 play for UCLA down near the end zone. They marked it as no gain when he clearly lost a yard.

The way the Gophers are executing at end of games is wonderful. Such a welcome sign. We are fortunate to have Brosmer. He's a gamer. The only thing I'd like to see him improve upon is stepping into his throws with more zip. He tends to throw off his back foot. Most importantly though, he's a winner. Go Max. And the play calling at end of games is working!

Watching the replay I just thought of the best Gopher sports bar name. Spencer caught the 1st touchdown in the second half and the celebration showed Jameson Geers and Ashton Beers. Geers and Beers. Love it.

Best thing of all that I haven't seen mentioned yet......back to back wins heading into the bye week should mean we are in for a reasonably troll free Gopherhole for the next couple weeks.
Like the optimism, but...

The way the Gophers are executing at end of games is wonderful. Such a welcome sign. We are fortunate to have Brosmer. He's a gamer. The only thing I'd like to see him improve upon is stepping into his throws with more zip. He tends to throw off his back foot. Most importantly though, he's a winner. Go Max. And the play calling at end of games is working!
He seems to be able to make pretty much any throw, regardless of how back foot. On that, he did over throw a couple receivers down field Saturday. Again, regardless of his back foot.

Top Bottom