POST GAME THREAD: GOPHERS COMPLETE HOLLYWOOD SWEEP!!

Crawford has taken a lot of flack over the years but that punt was massive because it forced UCLA to play it super safe in the shadow of their own endzone.
When they've needed a 50+ yarder, he gets Gophs 45. When a 40 yarder is needed, he gets Gophs 45. Gophs need a 45 yarder there...🙂

Brosmer has been the better QB in every game the Gophers have played this year. He has thrown some nice deep balls as well. Just in this last game he dropped one in perfectly but have to give the UCLA corners credit for this play and others. They were blanketing our wide outs.
Speaking of that I thought the UCLA defensive coordinator did a great job of scheming to stop all of the things that the Gophers did well vs USC.
Good W!

Gopherhole is the home of overreaction, win or lose after a game. Always ridiculous stuff said on here one way or another after a game.

But, a good solid road win against a not so good team but you need those over a course of a year. Koi looked good again. A little premature to start saying he is the next Winfield or Ronnie Lott but enthusiasm is fun either way. Oline not great again. Taylor seemed electric against USC and now hesitant this week. It would nice to be able to generate some big offensive plays. Hard to go the length of the field with very few chunk plays. But the deep ball doesn’t seem to be Brosmer’s thing and the run game doesn’t seem to have those 40 or 50 yard runs in it.

I just have to mention that on the Brockington screen on the last drive, 3 OL ended up blocking 1 defender. If they each block 1, he probably scores. Obviously not a big deal now but is something I keep noticing when seeing highlights.

View attachment 34152
Worked out better anyway since it allowed us to run off more clock.

Does anyone know the logic behind keeping a player off the field for a play for losing his helmet, even AFTER a timeout? Seems punitive against the player (vs maintaining flow of game).

Edit: Seems the rule is to inventivize securing helmet properly, but still seems like a timeout should be a sufficient intervening event
I think you're right in incenting keeping the helmet secured properly. If it was just a game flow issue, they wouldn't need a rule, and could just say that the offense doesn't need to wait for a defensive player to put his helmet back on and the offense doesn't get any extra time other than the play clock for an offensive player to put it back on.

I just have to mention that on the Brockington screen on the last drive, 3 OL ended up blocking 1 defender. If they each block 1, he probably scores. Obviously not a big deal now but is something I keep noticing when seeing highlights.

View attachment 34152
But there's no way that one defender was going to get through!

Gopherhole is the home of overreaction, win or lose after a game. Always ridiculous stuff said on here one way or another after a game.

But, a good solid road win against a not so good team but you need those over a course of a year. Koi looked good again. A little premature to start saying he is the next Winfield or Ronnie Lott but enthusiasm is fun either way. Oline not great again. Taylor seemed electric against USC and now hesitant this week. It would nice to be able to generate some big offensive plays. Hard to go the length of the field with very few chunk plays. But the deep ball doesn’t seem to be Brosmer’s thing and the run game doesn’t seem to have those 40 or 50 yard runs in it.
mtv-sad.gif

Gritty win. Great to see.

All three phases executed well in the final 5-minute stretch of the game. Downing the punt at the 3 was HUGE. Henderson making a key tackle in space on 3rd down to force them to give the ball back to us. The throwback to Brockington on 3rd down to move the sticks. Great execution by Brosmer on the crosser to DT for the winner.

It all needed to happen, and it did.
Don't forget Smith pressuring quarterback to force the throw behind the sticks,

Top Bottom