Philip Nelson Is Leaving The Gopher Program UPDATED 1/29: Transferring to Rutgers

What a monumentally bad series of decisions!

I hear you. I hope he does well there, of course not when he plays us, if that ever happens. The more I think about him going to Rutgers though, the less it makes sense to me.

I hear you. I hope he does well there, of course not when he plays us, if that ever happens. The more I think about him going to Rutgers though, the less it makes sense to me.

I don't wish evil upon the kid (and I thought he was our best option at QB), but I wish him about as much luck as I do any other Minnesotan who leaves/doesn't choose the U,...nada.

PN9 transfers and all of a sudden we have the WRs to run the spread! Brewster must be going nutz!

"Rutgers wide receivers coach Matt Simon has been the point man on Nelson's recruitment. Simon played for Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill at Northern Illinois, which has helped with the process.

“Coach Kill has been so good through this process, it’s really kind of surprised me," Pat Nelson said. "But he’s a first-class guy." "

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._qb_philip_nelson_will_be_made_by_friday.html

This statement intrigues me. I wonder why Kill being 'good through the process' surprised dad.

Also, I thought the article specifically said he would only have one year left to play. Isn't that a B1G transfer rule? I'm confused.

This statement intrigues me. I wonder why Kill being 'good through the process' surprised dad.

Also, I thought the article specifically said he would only have one year left to play. Isn't that a B1G transfer rule? I'm confused.

It is. But Rutgers isn't officially a member of the B1G yet.

I would guess that they were prepared for Kill to either be angry or indifferent. It’s one thing to say all the right things in public, but Kill, like any head coach at this level, has 1,001 things to do everyday this time of year. If he really took affirmative steps to be helpful, I can see that the Nelsons would figure that was more than he had to do.

You should ask Kim Royston about that. When he transferred from Wisconsin they wouldn't release him so he ended up having to pay his own way.

That was before the rule change. It didn't matter whether Wisconsin released him or not; at the time you could not, by Big Ten rule, transfer within the conference and get a scholarship at your new school.

dpodoll68

That was before the rule change. It didn't matter whether Wisconsin released him or not; at the time you could not, by Big Ten rule, transfer within the conference and get a scholarship at your new school.

Thanks - I forgot that was the case. I also have in the back my memory that when you transfer to another Big Team School you have to sit out for a year. Since you are not on the team you have to pay for your own tuition that year. Do you know if that is true or am I just making this up?

Thanks - I forgot that was the case. I also have in the back my memory that when you transfer to another Big Team School you have to sit out for a year. Since you are not on the team you have to pay for your own tuition that year. Do you know if that is true or am I just making this up?

You have to sit out a year regardless of where you go (assuming that you are transferring FBS-to-FBS and didn't get a waiver for immediate eligibility and are not a graduate transfer) but the difference is that if you transfer inside the Big Ten, you lose a year of eligibility even if you still have your redshirt. This doesn't apply to Nelson because Rutgers isn't part of the Big Ten until July 1. And you can be on scholarship immediately. You may be thinking of the case of Brian Bobek, who transferred here and could've been on scholarship immediately, but wasn't simply because the Gophers didn't have any scholarships available at the time. He received one as soon as one was available.

You have to sit out a year regardless of where you go (assuming that you are transferring FBS-to-FBS and didn't get a waiver for immediate eligibility and are not a graduate transfer) but the difference is that if you transfer inside the Big Ten, you lose a year of eligibility even if you still have your redshirt. This doesn't apply to Nelson because Rutgers isn't part of the Big Ten until July 1. And you can be on scholarship immediately. You may be thinking of the case of Brian Bobek, who transferred here and could've been on scholarship immediately, but wasn't simply because the Gophers didn't have any scholarships available at the time. He received one as soon as one was available.

That is exactly the example I was thinking about. Let this be warning to you, don't get old. You start mixing things together when you shouldn't.

That is exactly the example I was thinking about. Let this be warning to you, don't get old. You start mixing things together when you shouldn't.

Bull$hit, Killjoy. We old timers have fun because we fool youngsters enough so they can never figure us out. I remember when I was young, I um, well, oh jeez, what was I saying again?

Not intended as a gloat because I was disappointed to see Phil Nelson leave - just looking at the calibre (and size) of the receivers coming in as part of this class, wonder if he regrets transferring from the program?

Bull$hit, Killjoy. We old timers have fun because we fool youngsters enough so they can never figure us out. I remember when I was young, I um, well, oh jeez, what was I saying again?

So that's why I can't figure out you guys.

Not intended as a gloat because I was disappointed to see Phil Nelson leave - just looking at the calibre (and size) of the receivers coming in as part of this class, wonder if he regrets transferring from the program?

Slightly interesting that they all committed AFTER he left….

If he now has a year to learn the Rutgers offense, and 2 years to possibly become a big hero to Rutgers fb fans after that, in a more pass friendly offense, and like many Gopher fans try to sell Minnesota boys through osmosis by posting this opinion here at GH, that he'd get to be the STAR there, possibly the only great or at least the most noticeable player on their whole team, possibly leading to attention from NFL peeps?

vs having to compete for the starting job this year and next year and even if he got the job, 3 things, in ooc blowout games he'd surely only get to play for a half or 3 quarters at the most, reducing his # of throws, when our running game is working, my guess is we are going to run more than we throw the ball, reducing his # of throws, and he'd be expected to run as well when the opportunity is there, increasing the # of times he gets hit/tackled hence increasing the chances of his getting injured.

At Rutgers, its possible they may not be in any blow out games where he gets to sit while his backup gets some game time?! If they are losing more games than winning, my guess is they will be throwing the ball more than running it. At Minnesota, its altogether possible that we'll be running a lot in the 2nd half of several games next year and the same for the year after that.

I was bummed to hear he was transferring out, but Rutgers does make some sense!!! He won't lose a year, since they aren't yet officially a B1G team, and he might get to play AT Minnesota once, and his family and friends may get to travel to NJ to watch the Gophers and see their son/friend play.

Oh, and guess what network will be broadcasting a lot of his games?! Yeah, the B1G Network. Wow?! Go figure?! Do you think his family, if they can't go to all of his games, might like that they can at least watch his games on a network they have easy access to?!

Again, I'm a HUGE Gopher Homer, and BEFORE he left, I could have, if I thought it would have helped, made every effort to convince him to stay here. But once its a done deal, and he is gone, its not as hard to take an unbiased look at the situation and see that its not as horrible a move or decision as some make it out to be.

His transfer may turn out to be a blessing. We have unity at the qb position now, we have a good leader in place, and we have one more schollie. Plus, Nelson was sort of a Weber, a lot of missed easy throws.

Kill was true to his word about open competition including QBs. Nelson's transfer in the end will benefit the program because it opens up development for the next kid in line.

His transfer may turn out to be a blessing. We have unity at the qb position now, we have a good leader in place, and we have one more schollie. Plus, Nelson was sort of a Weber, a lot of missed easy throws.

So you believe he'd be the all-time passing leader? Consider offensive lines. Thread killer.

Does anyone have any actual knowledge of which QB was more liked? Which had better locker room presence? Which had better command of the huddle?

Does anyone have any actual knowledge of which QB was more liked? Which had better locker room presence? Which had better command of the huddle?

Unfortunately, all I know is that Phil had a slightly better head of hair. Here's hoping Mitch works on his flow in the offseason.

Unfortunately, all I know is that Phil had a slightly better head of hair. Here's hoping Mitch works on his flow in the offseason.

In an interview on BTN live, over the phone albeit, Mitch said he cut his hair and shaved his facial hair. Sort of a "fresh start", he said.

Reading between the lines of what Kill said on Barreiro yesterday. Mitch came back from the bowl hungry and started leading and Kill told the team to follow him. Nelson must have already made his decision to transfer before or during the bowl trip.

Three weeks later this is still one of the stupidest decisions of all time.

Phil, find your meds!

Three weeks later this is still one of the stupidest decisions of all time.

Phil, find your meds!

I think it's really going to hit him come October when he's watching his new team from the sidelines playing a FR QB knowing that he could be the starting QB of a Big 10 football team. His hometown team, playing with his friends and turning a program around. I think Phil would have been better off choosing San Jose State, if he wanted to leave.

Oh well, he's a smart kid and he'll get his degree from Rutgers. I imagine this will be a regret for him later in life as I think he's going to have some difficulty taking the starting job from a younger incumbent (who has also been in the program longer).

In an interview on BTN live, over the phone albeit, Mitch said he cut his hair and shaved his facial hair. Sort of a "fresh start", he said.

So what you're telling me is that from the ashes of Mitch's bald head will rise a great, hairy Phoenix?

Uh oh. I'm worried about a Samson and Delilah situation where he loses his abilities without his hair.

They brought many of the same qualities to the huddle that are required of any effective leader. But there were differences, too. Phil focused more on accountablity. Mitch focused more on encouragement. Both approaches are valid and the players themselves would gladly follow either into battle. But, if forced to choose, most preferred the latters approach. Regards.

Top Bottom