Philip Nelson Is Leaving The Gopher Program UPDATED 1/29: Transferring to Rutgers

Disgusting to go to another Big Ten school and play against his state, school and teammates. I blame dad for this one.

Disgusting to go to another Big Ten school and play against his state, school and teammates. I blame dad for this one.

Yeah i think Dad has a huge ego that his kids body cant pay. I wish him the best except when playing the gophers.

Again,
This just doesn't make sense to me.

Good luck to him, FWIW I still think he'll be a nice player in his upperclassmen years, but it sure seems like he's either running from a competition he knew he couldn't win outright or he's delusional about his passing skillset.

Does he really think he's better off playing for a program in transition(coordinatorS, new conference, new AD) that throws the ball alot vs one that will have established B1G players on the Oline, at RB, TE, and really good young talent at WR that runs it a ton?
:confused::confused:

It is really odd. Makes me think that everything he said publicly was just for PR and that there might be some type of bad blood between Nelson and Kill.

It is really odd. Makes me think that everything he said publicly was just for PR and that there might be some type of bad blood between Nelson and Kill.

My guess, like others have said, is that he is tired of the pounding he is taking and wants a place where he won't be asked to run as much.

No doubt that it was more than what Nelson stated.

Will he be a scholarship QB or will he have to earn it. Don't know if a transfer can be a PWO? He will have a great knowledge of our system and that will be a big advantage to Rutgers.

Will he be a scholarship QB or will he have to earn it. Don't know if a transfer can be a PWO? He will have a great knowledge of our system and that will be a big advantage to Rutgers.

Humbly disagree- they don't play Rutgers until 2016 and by that time I hope our tendencies will be completely different as will our personnel.

you mean because he will likely be the scout team QB at that time?? :D

That could be embarrassing.

They redshirted two QBs in 2013 who will be Sophs in 2015 when Nelson is eligible.

Chris Laviano
four-star prospect according to ESPN.com … listed as the No. 14 pro-style quarterback in the nation by ESPN.com … rated the No. 8 prospect in New York by SuperPrep … three-star rated recruit by Rivals.com and the No. 3 player in New York

Devin Ray
Three-year varsity starter at Bernards High School, earning the 2012 Maxwell Award as the New Jersey Player of the Year ...
Yeah I'm frankly surprised that Rutgers gave him a scholarship (assuming they did)

My guess, like others have said, is that he is tired of the pounding he is taking and wants a place where he won't be asked to run as much.

Doubt it. You're assuming that Nelson is, physically, a pussy. No way, not with how he sacrificed his body for extra yards this year. You could see in Nelson's body language (e.g., some exasperation) that he wasn't on board with the boring middle-run offense that began the season, the benching due to injury in game #4, the boring offense that continued into mid-season even as games against Iowa and Michigan were slipping away, and the kicker - after being a big part of 4 straight wins, platooning (and the threat thereof) to end the season, combined with the attitude that the QB starting position was a tossup going into next year.

Some people just have different opinions about the way things should be. Nelson obviously disagreed with where he stood, and with the general offensive philosophy that strayed away from the passing game in big games.

Doubt it. You're assuming that Nelson is, physically, a pussy. No way, not with how he sacrificed his body for extra yards this year. You could see in Nelson's body language (e.g., some exasperation) that he wasn't on board with the boring middle-run offense that began the season, the benching due to injury in game #4, the boring offense that continued into mid-season even as games against Iowa and Michigan were slipping away, and the kicker - after being a big part of 4 straight wins, platooning (and the threat thereof) to end the season, combined with the attitude that the QB starting position was a tossup going into next year.

Some people just have different opinions about the way things should be. Nelson obviously disagreed with where he stood, and with the general offensive philosophy that strayed away from the passing game in big games.

Doubt it.

Doubt it.

So you're just going with the "Nelson is a pussy" thing, huh. If you find any backing evidence for that bold claim, let me know. I have evidence backing up my conjecture/witness, his own words saying he wanted to play in a different system (with the presumption, thereby, that he wasn't happy with the Gopher system). Whether you think that is right or wrong is up to you, but you have no facts to back up what you said.

So you're just going with the "Nelson is a pussy" thing, huh. If you find any backing evidence for that bold claim, let me know. I have evidence backing up my conjecture/witness, his own words saying he wanted to play in a different system (with the presumption, thereby, that he wasn't happy with the Gopher system). Whether you think that is right or wrong is up to you, but you have no facts to back up what you said.

I don't think PN9 is "a pussy"; however, as I stated earlier I am disappointed he failed to take the gauntlet and compete with Leidner this off-season. Instead of asserting that zman feels that way, could it not just be that he feels that Nelson failed to separate himself adequately, or consistently from Leidner. Given that, why should the starting position not be up for grabs next year, or for that matter every year for every position plasyer. Most people have to prove themselves in their avocation continuously, no difference here.

"Rutgers wide receivers coach Matt Simon has been the point man on Nelson's recruitment. Simon played for Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill at Northern Illinois, which has helped with the process.

“Coach Kill has been so good through this process, it’s really kind of surprised me," Pat Nelson said. "But he’s a first-class guy." "

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._qb_philip_nelson_will_be_made_by_friday.html

Are they able to offer a scholarship because Rutgers is not in the big ten now? I didn't think you could get a scholarship from another conference team.

Are they able to offer a scholarship because Rutgers is not in the big ten now? I didn't think you could get a scholarship from another conference team.

Rutgers is in the Big 10 starting July 1st so Nelson would have to be in school at Rutgers by Friday.

"Rutgers wide receivers coach Matt Simon has been the point man on Nelson's recruitment. Simon played for Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill at Northern Illinois, which has helped with the process.

“Coach Kill has been so good through this process, it’s really kind of surprised me," Pat Nelson said. "But he’s a first-class guy." "

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._qb_philip_nelson_will_be_made_by_friday.html

Have to trust the coaches on this one, but you wonder if they were so helpful because it was going to be Phil or Mitch leaving and they decided to hitch their wagon to Mitch?

Nelson will only be able to play there for 1 year after sitting out this year, right? Seems like a ridiculous move on his part. He'll have one year to play on a crappy Rutgers squad.

Whatever man.

Nelson will only be able to play there for 1 year after sitting out this year, right? Seems like a ridiculous move on his part. He'll have one year to play on a crappy Rutgers squad.

Whatever man.

Three years to play two

Whatever man.

No he'll have 2 years after sitting out a year.

Philip Nelson Is Leaving The Gopher Program UPDATED 1/29: Transferring to Rut...

Three years to play two

Doesn't he lose a year of eligibility by transferring? I'm confused.

Whatever man.

I believe he will have two years, because he hadn't taken a redshirt year.

Doesn't he lose a year of eligibility by transferring? I'm confused.

Rutgers isn't big ten yet. Also he has to sit a year, but still has a redshirt year remaining.

Rutgers isn't big ten yet. Also he has to sit a year, but still has a redshirt year remaining.

So his year off will be his red shirt year? Then he'll have two years to play two?

Top Bottom