Philip Nelson Is Leaving The Gopher Program UPDATED 1/29: Transferring to Rutgers

I think it's really going to hit him come October when he's watching his new team from the sidelines playing a FR QB knowing that he could be the starting QB of a Big 10 football team. His hometown team, playing with his friends and turning a program around. I think Phil would have been better off choosing San Jose State, if he wanted to leave.

Oh well, he's a smart kid and he'll get his degree from Rutgers. I imagine this will be a regret for him later in life as I think he's going to have some difficulty taking the starting job from a younger incumbent (who has also been in the program longer).

Agree, with all of this, Bob.

Maybe I'm off, but I don't really feel like Nelson was a great fit for our system. I think he was recruited heavily more because he was (one of?) the top in-state guy.

I'm not too worried about how we'll fare without him.

They brought many of the same qualities to the huddle that are required of any effective leader. But there were differences, too. Phil focused more on accountablity. Mitch focused more on encouragement. Both approaches are valid and the players themselves would gladly follow either into battle. But, if forced to choose, most preferred the latters approach. Regards.

You seem to have an insider type quality to your posts. How close to the team are you?

The kid will go through life without a real alma mater.

It's possible he would've been a very minor celebrity in Minnesota for the rest of his life.

Now he's some kid who moved to New Jersey, where nobody will give two s**ts about him.

Unfathomable.

His regret will be signing with Minnesota.

Perhaps, although I bet he has started more games than almost any other BCS conference quarterback of his recruiting year. It is not like he wasn't given a chance to play.

You're right.

Over his countless other offers.

I'm sure he would have gotten some attention from other schools, but where would have been a better fit? He could have went to Rutgers right off the bat. Wisconsin wouldn't have been interested (their QB in that class is higher rated). Iowa? He'd play his entire career behind Rudock. He wouldn't have made sense anywhere else in the Big 10.

So yeah, he probably will regret ever playing in the Big 10. Our situation, while not the perfect situation for his style, was the best situation for him to see the field.

He probably should have went to some pass happy offense in the WAC or MAC instead of playing in the Big 10.

I have forgotten about Phillip Morris. I have forgotten about Anchor Nelson. I have forgotten about Phillip Nelson, too.

Maybe I'm off, but I don't really feel like Nelson was a great fit for our system. I think he was recruited heavily more because he was (one of?) the top in-state guy.

I'm not too worried about how we'll fare without him.

Revisionist history at it's finest right there. When Nelson was being recruited this board was filled with thread after thread about how he was the perfect fit for Kill's system and would go down as one of the greatest QB's in Gopher history. There were countless people calling for him to be named the starter from day one and predicting massive success for him.

How we will fare without him is a totally separate issue but let's not try and pretend now that he is gone that he was just some no name recruit we didn't really want anyway.

You're right.

Over his countless other offers.

I'm sure he would have gotten some attention from other schools, but where would have been a better fit? He could have went to Rutgers right off the bat. Wisconsin wouldn't have been interested (their QB in that class is higher rated). Iowa? He'd play his entire career behind Rudock. He wouldn't have made sense anywhere else in the Big 10.

So yeah, he probably will regret ever playing in the Big 10. Our situation, while not the perfect situation for his style, was the best situation for him to see the field.

He probably should have went to some pass happy offense in the WAC or MAC instead of playing in the Big 10.
http://247sports.com/Player/Philip-Nelson-8697?Institution=13898

Revisionist history at it's finest right there. When Nelson was being recruited this board was filled with thread after thread about how he was the perfect fit for Kill's system and would go down as one of the greatest QB's in Gopher history. There were countless people calling for him to be named the starter from day one and predicting massive success for him.

How we will fare without him is a totally separate issue but let's not try and pretend now that he is gone that he was just some no name recruit we didn't really want anyway.

Every recruit or red shirt is the greatest thing since sliced bread on this board befroe they play. We are always convinced we have lightning in a bottle waiting in the wings.

That's not even close to what joshvanklomp stated in his post.

does he have a number yet, or just going by RUPN for now?

Yes, we were excited when he signed, and for good reason. Then we saw him play for two years, and we weren't disappointed by him leaving, and for good reason. He sucked. No revisionist history going on at all. It's how it played out in this thing called real life.

His regret will be that he didn't stay and fight for his opportunity. As for signing with the U- no other schools even tried to pry him away with an offer.

So he wasn't any good?

Didn't say that- you said he would regret signing with the U- I'm just saying there isn't any evidence that he had other options.

And also that his regret will be that he didn't stay.

That's not even close to what joshvanklomp stated in his post.

Here is what he said:

Quote Originally Posted by joshvanklomp View Post
"Maybe I'm off, but I don't really feel like Nelson was a great fit for our system. I think he was recruited heavily more because he was (one of?) the top in-state guy."

I will give you that he did not say he was a no name recruit however his post clearly implies that the only real reason we recruited him was to land a top in-state guy which could not be farther from the truth as the coaching staff stated numerous times they felt Nelson was the perfect QB for their system.

Guys - we've already done this. See pages 1-50 for reference.

Thought more people would be talking about what I and others at the Social last night thought was quite surprising to see when Kill got quite animated talking about Leidner and what he's done since the bowl game leading the team and in turn seemingly taking some not-so-subtle and emotion fueled shots at Nelson, nobody else?

Or were we high off fumes from the DQ Room fireplaces and that never happened and its still all duckies and bunnies between both sides?

Hi biggest regret is missing wide-open receivers...badly.

Now we can retire this thread.

Completely agree many thought he was the savior and could/should start from day one. Some said Daddy was told Phil would be starting to entice him to sign here. No idea if that part was true or not.

I think many of us "cooled" when we saw his play (effort/understanding of the system/leadership/IT factor/etc). He was an average QB for us. He must belong at the D1 level or else Rutgers wouldn't have taken him, but I don't expect to see him lead them to any miracle seasons. I don't wish the kid ill. He left. Good luck with the rest of your life, Phil, but I don't much care where it takes you...

I think it's pretty simple: He probably would have preferred to keep his redshirt especially considering how that turned out. He gets dinged up this year and then is scatter armed when he's in there and generally plays like sh$t and catches a lot of sh$t from Gopher fans via all kinds of different forums. My son knows quite a few of the players and it sounds like Leidner was one of the most popular kids on the team so Nelson knew and probably could feel that which was probably awkward. Plus, Daddy didn't like that his boy was facing competition at QB, or that he was getting stones thrown at him left and right for some ridiculously poor play.

I think he just wanted a fresh start and where that was going to take place probably just wasn't as important as just getting the heck out of dodge. Sitting a year will probably be good for him. I think he maybe has a little puss in him, though, and am not sure he's got the make up to be a leader of a team or a rock solid BCS type QB. If he does end up having a good career, no hard feelings from me; particularly since I don't think he would have acheived much success here it just didn't seem to be in the cards. I was a supporter as long as I could be, but after the last four games of this year I was done with him and OK to see him try his luck somewhere else. Good luck to him.

Top Bottom