Philip Nelson Is Leaving The Gopher Program UPDATED 1/29: Transferring to Rutgers

Feldman at CBS says its Rutgers. Bring on the Knights in 2016

These are the comments I was most surprised to read. Really makes me think Daddy had a lot to do with his leaving.

@MattHladik919: Philip Nelson is heading to Rutgers, his father tells me now...more on Scarlet Nation in a few (sorry can't embed tweets)

Will someone locally stream Philip's dad's press conference with the official decision?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Per <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshHelmholdt">@JoshHelmholdt</a>, former <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> QB Phillip Nelson will transfer to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rutgers&src=hash">#Rutgers</a>, staying in the Big Ten & could return to play U on 10/22/16</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/428625602305093633">January 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Here are the tweets:

Bruce Feldman @BFeldmanCBS
Phillip Nelson, the new #Rutgers QB transfer commit, started 16 games in 2 seasons at #Minnesota.. Ralph Friedgen's newest protege.

Bruce Feldman @BFeldmanCBS
Former #Minnesota QB Philip Nelson will transfer to #Rutgers per source.

Ballsy move to go to a program that is going in the opposite direction than the team he bailed on. I hope we throw the ball about eight times in a blow-out victory in 2016.

This is a fascinating decision by the Nelsons. This is not an upward migration by all accounts. Tough to see how this ends well as rutgers is smacked around in the east division. lots of qbs on roster/competition. people are...generaaly different on the east coast. (my prejudice, you may not agree so be it).

Lends more credence to the theory Phil just wasn't fitting in well and if half the coaches weren't on his side he quit on the team...why would coaches force a system on him if he couldn't execute consistently.

Looking forward to Mitch/Chris competition this year.

Fascinating game in 2016 if he does indeed start at Rutgers.

Does this feel like he is plotting revenge toward Minnesota? Like the coaching staff eluded to he playing second fiddle to Mitch and Phil is pissed as hell and is plotting revenge?

I assume we won't be using this ad campaign anymore?

NelsonFB.jpg

Fascinating game in 2016 if he does indeed start at Rutgers.

That could be embarrassing.

They redshirted two QBs in 2013 who will be Sophs in 2015 when Nelson is eligible.

Chris Laviano
four-star prospect according to ESPN.com … listed as the No. 14 pro-style quarterback in the nation by ESPN.com … rated the No. 8 prospect in New York by SuperPrep … three-star rated recruit by Rivals.com and the No. 3 player in New York

Devin Ray
Three-year varsity starter at Bernards High School, earning the 2012 Maxwell Award as the New Jersey Player of the Year ...

Alls fair in College FB recruiting but if Rutgers cherry picked Nelson I hope there is some sweet payback by JK on rutgers recruits in the future.

Date of Nelson's return to TCF

Looked at the 2016 schedule and the game with Rutgers is scheduled for Sat, Oct 22 at TCF Bank Stadium.

It should be an interesting matchup in 2016, there would be a lot of hype - provided Nelson wins the starting job at Rutgers.

Leidner v. Nelson in 2016. Can't wait.

Not going to happen. After a breakout 2014 season, in 2015 Leidner lights it up with 30 passing TDs, 20 rushing TDs, 3,500 yards passing with 1200 on the ground. He makes it on the Heisman ballot and declares for 2016 draft. He may have won the Heisman if not for his detractors saying he had an unfair advantage by throwing to the nation's tallest, and most talented, receiving corps.

Looked at the 2016 schedule and the game with Rutgers is scheduled for Sat, Oct 22 at TCF Bank Stadium.

you also could have looked a few posts above yours which has the date too. that would be a lot of fun if nelson is starting qb. we can have a sack party!

If Nelson joins the union that Northwestern is organizing, will he have to get paid the prevailing wage???

Continuing with the numbers theme, can his shorthand name here be changed from PN9X to Sub50?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Philip Nelson to Rutgers? Where Ralph Friedgen is supposed to be OC? Last time I checked, the "Fridge's" offenses weren't known for passing.</p>— Tom Dienhart (@BTNTomDienhart) <a href="https://twitter.com/BTNTomDienhart/statuses/428642241062502401">January 29, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Philip Nelson to Rutgers? Where Ralph Friedgen is supposed to be OC? Last time I checked, the "Fridge's" offenses weren't known for passing.</p>— Tom Dienhart (@BTNTomDienhart) <a href="https://twitter.com/BTNTomDienhart/statuses/428642241062502401">January 29, 2014</a></blockquote>

THIS! I thought this as well! :confused:

you also could have looked a few posts above yours which has the date too. that would be a lot of fun if nelson is starting qb. we can have a sack party!

I agree but the problem is that those posts came after the one I read and replied to. It happens quite often here.

Again,
This just doesn't make sense to me.

Good luck to him, FWIW I still think he'll be a nice player in his upperclassmen years, but it sure seems like he's either running from a competition he knew he couldn't win outright or he's delusional about his passing skillset.

Does he really think he's better off playing for a program in transition(coordinatorS, new conference, new AD) that throws the ball alot vs one that will have established B1G players on the Oline, at RB, TE, and really good young talent at WR that runs it a ton?
:confused::confused:

Well look for these to go sale soon.

40911110001-d.jpg

thumb.jpg

The above jerseys go from $89 - $95 depending upon online site. If I were Dimonic McKinzy I'd lobby hard for the #9 jersey assignment. He could boast to being potentially the only true freshman signee in the nation with a Nike jersey already made for his numbered jersey.

Who's jersey number will adorn future Nike jerseys sold publicly?

View attachment 2492

View attachment 2493

The above jerseys go from $89 - $95 depending upon online site. If I were Dimonic McKinzy I'd lobby hard for the #9 jersey assignment. He could boast to being potentially the only true freshman signee in the nation with a Nike jersey already made for his numbered jersey.

Believe he has already selected number 2! which him and Rodney Smith have had a friendly feud over already.

View attachment 2492

View attachment 2493

Hey, that's my James Manuel jersey!

Top Bottom