Philip Nelson Is Leaving The Gopher Program UPDATED 1/29: Transferring to Rutgers

Dont waste your time John Galt....dp has to get the last word in and is always right(in his own world)

Yet another worthless post. A total of 138 posts devoid of any substance or meaningful content. Congratulations.

Yet another worthless post. A total of 138 posts devoid of any substance or meaningful content. Congratulations.

Hey Dpo. What is 2+2? Whatever you post is WRONG because I hate you. Even if you give the correct answer, I will disagree with it!

BTW, I agree with you most of the time, and I'll hold my tongue about some other posters.

I'll finish my thoughts this way: I'm rooting for Leidner to have a great season. I'll be as happy as anyone if he plays well, and will gladly come back and eat my big plate of crow.

Go Gophers!

The real question is whether PN9 is more like Brewster and Leidner is more like Mason or vice versa. That will really answer the question.

i·ro·ny1
/ˈīrənē,ˈiərnē/
noun
noun: irony

1. the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

Didn't even try to pass the ball, even in games where clearly the victories were easy grabs; still no work on the passing game, or for that matter the running game.

Any QB that plays at Minnesota is going to be very frustrated if the coaching staff reverts back to its early-2013 gameplan. That can't continue, even if Jeff Jones is running the ball in a year or two behind a vastly improved line. If you can't pass the ball, you can't be a force on the national scale.

Just catching up...so, you're saying we didn't work on running or passing? Comments like that make me wonder how well thought out your arguments are.

As for competing nationally, let's compete for a B1G title first. I think a running identity will allow us to do that sooner. Pass-happy offenses tend to win or lose based on the play of the QB, where our ground-based style will allow our QBs to be game managers until they develop into better passers.

I'll finish my thoughts this way: I'm rooting for Leidner to have a great season. I'll be as happy as anyone if he plays well, and will gladly come back and eat my big plate of crow.

Go Gophers!

+1. Me too, John Galt, me too.

Go Gophers!

Tastes like chicken

Just catching up...so, you're saying we didn't work on running or passing? Comments like that make me wonder how well thought out your arguments are.

As for competing nationally, let's compete for a B1G title first. I think a running identity will allow us to do that sooner. Pass-happy offenses tend to win or lose based on the play of the QB, where our ground-based style will allow our QBs to be game managers until they develop into better passers.

"Work on the running game" constituted a heavy dose of running plays up the middle, mixed in with some QB zone read running plays. Literally, obviously that's "working on the running game" - they did basically the same (failing) thing over and over and over and over. But there were so many other things in the running game that could have been attempted and worked on at the same time, not just continually slamming their head into the wall (so to speak) and failing continually. That was my point, and I think you understood that full well.

"Work on the running game" constituted a heavy dose of running plays up the middle, mixed in with some QB zone read running plays. Literally, obviously that's "working on the running game" - they did basically the same (failing) thing over and over and over and over. But there were so many other things in the running game that could have been attempted and worked on at the same time, not just continually slamming their head into the wall (so to speak) and failing continually. That was my point, and I think you understood that full well.

Just curious, what does "failing" mean to you? Because all of those "easy grab" wins you referred to in the earlier post...yeah, we won those games. That seems like a "success" to me.

my thoughts exactly - the way cncmin describes the team, you would think they averaged about 150yds a game on offense and went 2-10 for the season.

Granted, there were times when the Gophers struggled on offense, but that tended to be against some very good defensive teams.

But, I still think it's more of a "glass half-full" case then "glass half-empty."

The Gophers are not a perfect team, but they made progress last year. If they can just find a little more consistent play on offense - and yes, the QB has a lot to do with that - they can take another small step forward - at least another 8 wins, maybe 9, and this time a win in the bowl game.

AND BEAT THE STINKIN' BADGERS!!!!!!!!!

Unintentionally self-contradictory post thus far in 2014 on GH? You do realize that, if you're going to argue that Leidner was a better runner than Nelson, AND he was a better passer, then why in the hell was Nelson starting over him?? Nelson may not have had significantly better stats over the course of 2013, yet the offense was better to some degree when he played, and thus he was the starter, even by the final game of the season.

Be a hypocrite or be a prick. But don't be both.

Why did Nelson start over Leidner?

Per Coach-If you do not turn over the ball often, you have a chance to win. We talk about ball security equals job security. I will not play a running back, no matter how good he is, if he turns the ball over. We go over it every day and we teach the techniques of holding on to the football.

Something that Leidner needed to learn and seemed to improve upon by season's end.

Just curious, what does "failing" mean to you? Because all of those "easy grab" wins you referred to in the earlier post...yeah, we won those games. That seems like a "success" to me.

The 8-win "overachieving" season appears to have skewed the mind of the early-season (and late-season) offensive woes of that football team. The bookends of the season on O were dreadful. The team won 8 football games on the backs of a pretty strong defense, and a 12-quarter midseason offensive surge led by a change in the Limegrover/Kill philosophy, which was well-documented on this board and elsewhere.

Why did Nelson start over Leidner?

Per Coach-If you do not turn over the ball often, you have a chance to win. We talk about ball security equals job security. I will not play a running back, no matter how good he is, if he turns the ball over. We go over it every day and we teach the techniques of holding on to the football.

Something that Leidner needed to learn and seemed to improve upon by season's end.

I recall Leidner fumbling quite often late season as well...

my thoughts exactly - the way cncmin describes the team, you would think they averaged about 150yds a game on offense and went 2-10 for the season.

Granted, there were times when the Gophers struggled on offense, but that tended to be against some very good defensive teams.

But, I still think it's more of a "glass half-full" case then "glass half-empty."

Some early-season statistics for those who have already forgotten:

Total yards, Gophers - opponent [name]
320 - 419 [UNLV]
469 - 356 [@NMSU]
337 - 230 [W Ill]
424 - 486 [SJSU]
165 - 464 [Iowa]
281 - 348 [@Mich]

Only two games of the first six saw the Gophers gain more than 400 total yards for the game, and of those opponents, only one was ranked. The Gophers were significantly outgained in 2 of their first 4 OOC victories, and failed to reach 350 yards at home against the likes of UNLV, Western Illinois, and Iowa. In the only offensive burst of the first 6 games, the Gophers played against NMSU (FBS level) and required a 120+ rushing performance from the now-departed Nelson to ensure victory in a fairly close game until almost midway through the 4th Q before pulling away late.

Some say that it doesn't matter how you get to a slightly overachieving season in the W/L column. Many would agree. At least 1 significant person (former starting QB Philip Nelson) disagrees.

cncmin, serious question:
Do you think being held to "only" 320 yards in the UNLV game might have had a little something to do with our 3 D / ST touchdowns? You know, if our D and ST are scoring every time, we will obviously be outgained, right?

So will we be able to Update this with: Transferring to ECU?

The Phil Nelson news is very, very bad for the program. Nelson was Kill/Limey's lead pony, their star recruit & the face of the program moving forward. I expect we'll win 1-2 games less next season with his departure & I expect the season win odds to reflect that. Gopher fans are incredibly impatient. "Bench Weber, play Gray!" "Bench Gray, play Shortell!" "Bench Shortell, play Nelson!" "Bench Nelson, play Leidner!" "Bench Leidner, play Streveler!" "Bench Streveler, play McKinzy!" "Bench McKinzy, play _____!" This is a pattern & not a winning one. You invest in players as underclassmen & reap the rewards as upperclassmen, so we can't keep losing players (especially QB's) as they enter their most productive college years. We now go into year 4 with 1 experienced QB, in a 2 QB system. We're 1 injury away from using two completely inexperienced QB's, IN YEAR FOUR! In addition to that, we don't have quality WR's or depth. The staff hasn't recruited or retained the talent necessary to run their offense & we're forced to run this boring, sluggish, play action crap. A lot of people seem to be almost happy about this, as if this justifies their opinions of Nelson. You wanted it, you got it. Enjoy your 6 win, 2014 regression.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry. Maybe Phil will illegally start drinking in a bar. Maybe in that drunken state he'll go after a guy in a case of mistaken identity. he could then push him away and then that guy in retaliation, will strike Phil from behind seconds later. Maybe a friend of Phil's will hit that guy and take him out. Phil will then be able to re-think not wanting to compete for the starting job at the U. Or maybe he'll just go on to Rutgers, sit out the year, and get a fresh start. As long as Nelson wasn't so drunk that he kicks the guy when he's down and in a blackout state doesn't remember much of the evening at all.

In that case he's got to hope that his girlfriend would lie for him, much like you would. Though, the girlfriend could surprise you and tell the truth.

Either way, maybe you'll be able to keep screaming "I TOLD you so!" When the Gophers top out at 6 wins in 2014, you'll be able to rub everybody's face in it. That's the important thing huh?

Or if that doesn't happen you can just continue to make sheet-up trying to remain relevant.

Top Bottom