Philip Nelson Is Leaving The Gopher Program UPDATED 1/29: Transferring to Rutgers

I'm fine with players taking their services to the highest bidder - to whatever professional league will take them. It's not college football's fault if there isn't a minor league.

Bottom line, if he wants to play next year, he has to transfer to FCS or lower.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Per <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson">@DarrenWolfson</a>, former <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> QB Phillip Nelson will visit Rutgers tomorrow, which would allow Nelson to stay in the Big Ten.</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/427260668921004032">January 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 1m
Been tweeting with @patfitterer. Should just throw out to all: former #Gophers QB Philip Nelson will visit Rutgers tomorrow.
Expand

Go Gophers!

Oct 22, 2016...home game vs Rutgers. Also would happen to be Nelson's senior year if he redshirts next year. Just saying

per Shooter:

Don't be surprised if former Gophers quarterback Philip Nelson visits Rutgers on Sunday. Nelson would have to sit out just one season, not two, because Rutgers won't have joined the Big Ten officially until Aug. 1. North Dakota State, Southern Illinois and Texas Tech are other possible destinations for Nelson.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_24994020/charley-walters-twins-owner-jim-pohlad-optimistic-about

Go Gophers!!

"Possible Destinations". Possible? Way to go out on a limb shooter.

I don't see him going to NDSU. They seem to be pretty set on there QB for next season talking to some of my friend s who are BIG Bison fans. All of them have said the guy they have that will start next year is probably more talented than Brock Jensen was. I could see him at SIU or Rutgers. Man. That would be interesting if he ended up at Rutgers and played us at home in what would be his SR year.

Oct 22, 2016...home game vs Rutgers. Also would happen to be Nelson's senior year if he redshirts next year. Just saying

All we will need to do is make sure our DB's are ten yards past any WR's.

For a guy that many here said was afraid of competition, wasn't a B1G talent and would have to transfer down in competition (Mankato St was even mentioned, lol) it sure would show a big 'ol sack to commit to Rutgers with the opportunity to stay in the B1G & come back to play at TCF against the Gophers his Sr year.

Might not be a bad place for him to end up. Have a multiple year starter (Gary Nova) who would be back and presumably playing next year while Phil would "red-shirt". Otherwise there aren't any overly impressive competitors on the roster (2-3* guys who haven't seen a snap to date) for the starting spot after Nova is done, and I don't see any QB commits yet in this years class.

At least if PN goes to Rutgers we wont have to debate on which city or education is better. Enjoy it there Phil!

He will redshirt next year as it will be his transfer year. If he goes to Rutgers, we will see him here at TCF in 2016

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are we sure there isn't a stipulation from Kill that the team can't be on the Gophers future schedule?

Please let Nelson know that Kansas State likes to run their QB.

Also I wonder if Rutgers would qualify as a B1G school and therefore according to conference rules knock a year off his eligibility. Also strange is Rutgers currently does not have an offensive coordinator.

The whole thing is just strange to me.
IMO Nelson felt/heard Leidner's footsteps and feared that even in a tie of camp performance the coaches may choose Mitch.
Anything else doesn't make sense unless that concussion against MSU left him hoping to play in a system that only uses the QB as a passer, which again KSU is a run heavy offense similar to Limegrovers.

Also I wonder if Rutgers would qualify as a B1G school and therefore according to conference rules knock a year off his eligibility.

It doesn't apply in this instance because Rutgers doesn't join the Big Ten until July 1.

Can Kill and staff block him from going to Rutgers?

Why would they want to? Let the young man have another opportunity. It's not like the Twins are trying to keep Johan Santana in his prime from going to the White Sox. They will only play Rutgers once during Phil's potential career there and it will make for an interesting game.

Do you think his teammates knew he was going to transfer before the bowl game? The reason I ask is no one jumped to his defense when he got dropped on his shoulder on that unabated to the qb play vs Cuse. Typically you would see an Olineman get in the Dlineman's face after a cheap shot like that.

Why would they want to? Let the young man have another opportunity. It's not like the Twins are trying to keep Johan Santana in his prime from going to the White Sox. They will only play Rutgers once during Phil's potential career there and it will make for an interesting game.

Not saying they should or if they wanted to just wondering if it was possible.

Nah, the players are coached to not retailiate to avoid penalties.
My guess is coaches knew he was leaving and some players knew it as well. Just think of it as people leaving for another job. you don't dislike someone cuz they leave for something else. PN was a good kid/teammate end of story.

Nah, the players are coached to not retailiate to avoid penalties.
My guess is coaches knew he was leaving and some players knew it as well. Just think of it as people leaving for another job. you don't dislike someone cuz they leave for something else. PN was a good kid/teammate end of story.

If the coaches knew Nelson was leaving, then why did he play in the bowl game, let alone start? Everything we've seen about this staff points to them doing whatever it takes to build a winning program and playing Nelson as much as they did doesn't do that.

Top Bottom