Philip Nelson Is Leaving The Gopher Program UPDATED 1/29: Transferring to Rutgers

I agree our D played really well during that stretch and was a contributing factor in the TEAM winning those 4 games in a row. But in the Nebraska game our D didn't throw a cold blooded touchdown on 4th down, or run in 2 scores. I'm not saying Nelson is the QB we've been waiting for or he is elite or anything. My only point was that the team is not better off losing its most experienced QB. Especially since our QBs get banged up so often. We NEED 2 guys and having a 3rd is probably fairly important too.

That 4th down play was probably the greatest and most exciting pass and catches we saw this year. It was incredible. But would you trust Nelson to hit that pass again? Nelson has a shotgun arm. Not in the good way. If he could consistently hit throws like that we wouldn't be having this conversation at all would we? I think Leidner is probably a better runner than Nelson, so yeah, I think he runs for at least 2 tds.

You're right that it sucks from a depth perspective. But how many teams have 2 experienced QBs? It just doesn't happen unless one is overtaken on the depth chart or there is an injury. I'm hopeful we can keep Jones and rely on running the QB less. Many QBs play competently their freshman or redshirt freshman year. Many cannot. We're leaping to a lot of conclusions.

We don't have any idea how good we're going to be next year. The loss or gain of even one or two players can have a tremendous influence on team chemistry and efficiency. Part of the fun of college ball is that uncertainty. I like being the underdog and surprising. I will enjoy the ride. I think we'll be better next year but there are a thousand things that influence that outcome.

They have a starter. That's why the other guys transferred. They were down to bare bones at the QB position but I believe just picked up a JUCO QB in the last few days.

You're saying the talk of Nelson to Texas Tech is as a walk-on only?

I have no idea what Kingsbury has or has not offered. Is Nelson their next Seth Doege, Taylor Potts, Graham Harrell? If so, he has to beat out their current true freshman Davis Webb, who lead TTU to a 37-23 win in the Holiday Bowl with 400+ yards and 4tds. The Raiders have room for QBs because Mayfield and Brewer both have curiously optioned to transfer somewhere else. So yes, this destination intrigues me.

That 4th down play was probably the greatest and most exciting pass and catches we saw this year. It was incredible. But would you trust Nelson to hit that pass again? Nelson has a shotgun arm. Not in the good way. If he could consistently hit throws like that we wouldn't be having this conversation at all would we? I think Leidner is probably a better runner than Nelson, so yeah, I think he runs for at least 2 tds.

You're right that it sucks from a depth perspective. But how many teams have 2 experienced QBs? It just doesn't happen unless one is overtaken on the depth chart or there is an injury. I'm hopeful we can keep Jones and rely on running the QB less. Many QBs play competently their freshman or redshirt freshman year. Many cannot. We're leaping to a lot of conclusions.

We don't have any idea how good we're going to be next year. The loss or gain of even one or two players can have a tremendous influence on team chemistry and efficiency. Part of the fun of college ball is that uncertainty. I like being the underdog and surprising. I will enjoy the ride. I think we'll be better next year but there are a thousand things that influence that outcome.

I'm fairly positive in the very next game Nelson threw for another touchdown on 4th down and short.. I don't believe it was a 30+ yard pass like in the nebraska game, maybe 10-15 yards. But obviously the coaches trusted him to hit a big pass like that again.. and he did.

Excuse me sir. These are COLLEGE student-athletes. They do not fall on their face. Coaches let them down.

Wha? A college student can't fall on their face?

Does everybody get a participative medal in your world?

Will signing with Texas Tech put the "Nelson has a weak arm, no accuracy & isn't even a D1 talent" posts to bed?

The quick answer would be "Hell no, it's Gopherhole. Thinking about it a little more, the Max Shortell threads have tapered off haven't they?

Wherever he goes, he has to sit out a year. The release means he can get a scholarship from the school he transfers to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wherever he goes, he has to sit out a year. The release means he can get a scholarship from the school he transfers to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying Nelson to T Tech is going to happen, but if he did transfer there he'd sit out this year & it's possible their super Freshman could go pro after next season, opening the door for two years of Nelson at T Tech. Again, not saying it will happen, just that it could make sense for Nelson. The real question is couldn't T Tech just recruit someone as good or better than Nelson?

I'm not saying Nelson to T Tech is going to happen, but if he did transfer there he'd sit out this year & it's possible their super Freshman could go pro after next season, opening the door for two years of Nelson at T Tech. Again, not saying it will happen, just that it could make sense for Nelson. The real question is couldn't T Tech just recruit someone as good or better than Nelson?

Tech's freshman QB wasnt that good that he is going to go pro before graduation. He didnt even win the starting spot out of camp. That was given to a walk on true freshman.

A list of Gopher QB stats during their first season with at least 20 Pass attempts.
Year Name----------------Cmp----Att---Pct----Yds-----Y/A---AY/A---TD---INT---Rate
2013 Mitch Leidner---------43------78---55.1---619-----7.9----8.1-----3----1----131.9
2012 Phillip Nelson----------75-----152---49.3 ---873----5.7----4.4-----8----8----104.4
2011 Max Shortell----------26------54---48.1---309-----5.7----4.8-----2----2----101.0
2011 Marqueis Gray--------108-----213---50.7--1495----7.0----6.1-----8----8----114.5
2007 Adam Weber---------258-----449---57.5 --2895-----6.4---5.6----24----19---120.8
2005 Tony Mortensen-------9-------24---37.5 ---130-----5.4---4.4-----1----1-----88.4
2004 Bryan Cupito---------123-----261---47.1---2097----8.0---7.9----14----7----127.0
2003 Benji Kamrath---------16------34---47.1----250-----7.4---5.3----1-----2----106.8
2000 Travis Cole-----------131-----223--58.7---1780-----8.0---8.0----11----5----137.6
2000 Asad Abdul-Khaliq-----51------94---54.3----676----7.2----7.2----7-----3----132.9
1998 Andy Persby----------60------143--42.0----661----4.6----3.5----3-----5-----80.7
1997 Billy Cockerham-------13------28---46.4----242-----8.6---7.6----3-----2----140.1
1995 Jason Murdock--------18------45---40.0----263----5.8----3.7----2-----3-----90.4
1994 Cory Sauter -----------9------21---42.9-----80-----3.8----1.7----0-----1-----65.3
1993 Tim Schade----------135-----286---47.2---1648----5.8---4.3-----8----13-----95.7
1993 Scott Eckers---------119-----206---57.8---1564----7.6---5.9----14----14----130.4
1992 Rob St. Sauver--------28------47---59.6----303----6.4---5.4-----2-----2----119.3
1989 Marquel Fleetwood----23------56---41.1-----270----4.8---0.0----0-----6-----60.1
1988 Scott Schaffner------106-----191---55.5----1234---6.5---5.5----7-----7-----114.5
1985 Alan Holt--------------27------47---57.4----408----8.7---9.5----2-----0-----144.4
1984 Rickey Foggie---------57------121---47.1---1036---8.6---6.9----10----9-----131.4
1983 Greg Murphy---------115------242---47.5---1410---5.8---3.3----6-----16-----91.4
1983 Brett Sadek-----------60-----130---46.2----757----5.8---5.2-----7-----5-----105.1

(If anything needs to be fixed, just let me know. I got the information from http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/minnesota/)

Great research and thanks for doing it.

Only downside is that some of those names took me down Bad Memory Lane.

I've been away from GH for a bit, but just read this entire thread because it is a big deal and, because of the position, this move will be scrutinized significantly for the next couple of years. I am certain Mitch is more the type of QB this staff is looking for, and some of the juggling of who started and played during the last 9 games was curios. The investment in Phillip was significant, and he led the 4-game B1G win streak. But, in losses to Iowa, MSU, Wisc. and Syracuse, his play was frustratingly bad, but his tentative demeanor made me doubt he was the guy going forward.

Mitch seemed to take over the team in the bowl game and I sure hope he works hard between now and September.

The departure of Shortell didn't surprise me and if he ends up being a good QB, good for him. We'll all be watching to see where Phil ends up, but where he goes is less significant than how he performs. If he doesn't end up starting and playing and having an illustrious career, I think he would have been better off in life for having stuck it out here.

ESPN Q&A:

Pete (Minneapolis): Are you buying the reason for Nelson's departure from Minnesota? He claims he wants to go to a system that better fits his skill set. Since he was recruited by Coach Kill, he knew what the system was when he committed to Minnesota. Makes me think it's not necessarily the system he's upset with but rather the lack of talented players (receivers) around him in that system.

Brian Bennett: I'm sure he knew a lot about the system, but Minnesota threw the ball a lot less this year than it did a year ago. A lot had to do with the inexperience and lack of talent at the receiver position. Nelson himself didn't light it up as a passer, but he might not want to run it as much as Minnesota seems to want from its QB. If that's the case, I have no problem with him transferring somewhere else.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/94271/big-ten-monday-chat-wrap-58

Go Gophers!!

Another aspect to ponder:
Which QB do you want leading your team:
one who wants to be part of the team, or one who has doubts about whether his skills fit in the offensive system?

An unhappy player can lead to big problems in the locker room. If Nelson does not want to be at the U, that is his choice, and I wish him the best. But, if he doesn't want to be here, or doesn't believe that he and the coaches are on the same wavelength, then it's better for everyone that he left.

My bottom line - the Gophers play a run-first system. They don't need an "elite" QB to be successful. they need a QB who can run the ball, make the zone read, and throw the play-action pass to the TE's and the occasional down-field shot to the WR's. I think Leidner is perfectly capable of filling that role. And, if he gets hurt, and the younger QB's aren't ready - what about D. Jones in a wildcat/QB role ala Gray?

Here's a great example of the chicken-or-the-egg argument. Was Nelson unhappy prior to the whole early-season deal where he was benched in favor of Leidner due to injury; was he unhappy prior to getting platooned; was he unhappy prior to the first 5 or 6 games of the season, where the coaches simply refused, largely, to incorporate a passing game as part of the offense? Or did all of these things make him unhappy? My guess is the latter.

Early in the season I posted on here numerous times that the offense was boring, unexciting, and would make it difficult to recruit because of it. I also posted that the body language of the players seemed to indicate frustration with the offensive gameplan. This largely changed once the entire philosophy changed the week before the NW and especially the Nebraska game. Yet, even though Nelson displayed the ability to lead the team to 4 consecutive quality victories, he continued to have a short leash, the coaching staff backed away from the innovation and excitement on offense that gained them those four victories, and showed little faith in their starting QB. I'd argue Nelson's issues were more of lack of confidence due to the coaching staff displaying way too little faith in him.

Early in the season I posted on here numerous times that the offense was boring, unexciting, and would make it difficult to recruit because of it. I also posted that the body language of the players seemed to indicate frustration with the offensive gameplan. This largely changed once the entire philosophy changed the week before the NW and especially the Nebraska game. Yet, even though Nelson displayed the ability to lead the team to 4 consecutive quality victories, he continued to have a short leash, the coaching staff backed away from the innovation and excitement on offense that gained them those four victories, and showed little faith in their starting QB. I'd argue Nelson's issues were more of lack of confidence due to the coaching staff displaying way too little faith in him.

Limegrower kind of sucks. That's why.

Limegrower kind of sucks. That's why.

And Kill doesn't want to talk about the past...and the coach gets to do what ever the coach wants to do.

That, my friends is just another reason why the only thing that really matters is Conference wins vs. conference losses.

The numbers tell the story. The numbers sometimes humble us all. But make no mistake: it is very difficult to EVER achieve enough Conference wins. The players come...and they go. The Coach gets to dictate any rule the coach wants to dictate. But, in the end: Conference wins vs. conference losses tell the entire story of just how things really went down...

per Shama:

Sophomore Philip Nelson played inconsistently during two years of trying to win the Gophers quarterback job but his announcement last week to leave the program means Mitch Leidner is the only QB on the roster with game experience. The situation is similar to about a year ago when Max Shortell left the Gophers after the 2012 season and Nelson was the only QB with game experience.

Could Nelson’s next school be either North Dakota State, San Diego State, Texas Tech or Wyoming?

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Sophomore Philip Nelson played inconsistently during two years of trying to win the Gophers quarterback job but his announcement last week to leave the program means Mitch Leidner is the only QB on the roster with game experience. The situation is similar to about a year ago when Max Shortell left the Gophers after the 2012 season and Nelson was the only QB with game experience.

Could Nelson’s next school be either North Dakota State, San Diego State, Texas Tech or Wyoming?

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Given the schools above, I think Nelson will regret leaving the Big Ten. Unless he lands and plays at a BCS conference or blows up a smaller conference, he is looking at playing some pretty blah games the next few years. Play for the Axe or play in front of 15 000 in Laramie? I know my choice.

Given the schools above, I think Nelson will regret leaving the Big Ten. Unless he lands and plays at a BCS conference or blows up a smaller conference, he is looking at playing some pretty blah games the next few years. Play for the Axe or play in front of 15 000 in Laramie? I know my choice.

I think I would agree with your sentiment that he will possibly regret leaving the U. I just have thought the whole timing of it to be so strange with it being so close to the start of the spring semester at the vast majority of schools. I am anxious to see where he ends up.

perception has changed

Exposure via social media has made what already existed more apparent. Play somewhere, play well and you may play in the NFL. Kids now see the Romos of the FCS and think this may be a better choice than playing #2. Nelson may have been better off studying the career of ryan mallett ...wait he is in the NFL.

And Kill doesn't want to talk about the past...and the coach gets to do what ever the coach wants to do.

That, my friends is just another reason why the only thing that really matters is Conference wins vs. conference losses.

The numbers tell the story. The numbers sometimes humble us all. But make no mistake: it is very difficult to EVER achieve enough Conference wins. The players come...and they go. The Coach gets to dictate any rule the coach wants to dictate. But, in the end: Conference wins vs. conference losses tell the entire story of just how things really went down...

Got that right.

ESPN Q&A:

John from Minneapolis writes: Hey, Brian. In Monday's chat you answered a question about Philip Nelson and stated, " Nelson himself didn't light it up as a passer, but he might not want to run it as much as Minnesota seems to want from its QB. If that's the case, I have no problem with him transferring somewhere else." I understand what you're saying, but whatever happened to sticking with a commitment? It smells like weak character to me. That same attitude is why the divorce rate is 50 percent. That's it, thanks.

Brian Bennett: The problem is that commitment and loyalty too often is a one-way street in college sports. A player such as Nelson is supposed to fulfill his four years to the school, yet coaches can leave at any time and his scholarship is up for renewal every season? And Nelson will have to sit out a year unless he transfers to a lower level. The reality is that college sports is a business, and players have to look out for themselves. If Nelson believes his future will be better served by playing in a different system, more power to him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/94363/big-ten-wednesday-mailbag-23

Go Gophers!!

It's likely that someone already stated what I'm going to say, I apologize, but I need to get this off my mind. I don't understand, and quite honestly, am quite disappointed in Philip's decision. The great thing about football, and something we experience in our own "playing careers" or that we stress to players as coaches, is that it's reflective of life in so many ways. One aspect, and a main one, being that it involves constant competition- with yourself in the weight room, against your buddy/teammate in practice and obviously in the game. The competition makes you better and if done correctly within the team concept, makes the team stronger and more cohesive. Philip took on his scholarship without any guarantees (I would think) about being an undisputed 4-year starter and would need to constantly win the right to represent the team in games. Now some adversity arises, and instead of meeting it head on and improving to point where he again is the recognized starter he quits- on himself, his teammates and his University. You can't tell me that if he went through spring camp and was performing superiorly to the competition, and was throwing the ball with the decisiveness and accuracy demanded of a "passing quarterback" that he wouldn't win his job back and propel Limegrover to use the pass more as a weapon. Instead his action strikes me as selfish and makes me question his character. Nevertheless, I do wish him the best- however, as Mr. Bigelow stated above, I do think he will ultimately regret his decision.

It's likely that someone already stated what I'm going to say, I apologize, but I need to get this off my mind. I don't understand, and quite honestly, am quite disappointed in Philip's decision. The great thing about football, and something we experience in our own "playing careers" or that we stress to players as coaches, is that it's reflective of life in so many ways. One aspect, and a main one, being that it involves constant competition- with yourself in the weight room, against your buddy/teammate in practice and obviously in the game. The competition makes you better and if done correctly within the team concept, makes the team stronger and more cohesive. Philip took on his scholarship without any guarantees (I would think) about being an undisputed 4-year starter and would need to constantly win the right to represent the team in games. Now some adversity arises, and instead of meeting it head on and improving to point where he again is the recognized starter he quits- on himself, his teammates and his University. You can't tell me that if he went through spring camp and was performing superiorly to the competition, and was throwing the ball with the decisiveness and accuracy demanded of a "passing quarterback" that he wouldn't win his job back and propel Limegrover to use the pass more as a weapon. Instead his action strikes me as selfish and makes me question his character. Nevertheless, I do wish him the best- however, as Mr. Bigelow stated above, I do think he will ultimately regret his decision.

So, how about the coaches who earn the big bucks and then bail on the players they recruited to get a job promotion...a pay raise and the LONG TERM CONTRACT guaranteed pay that signing a new contract with their new school gives them? Coaches have got ALL the power in the college football thing...and the young student athletes only get a ticking clock on the amount of eligibility the are so "graciously" granted by the NCAA. So, the young students have the NCAA lording it over them...the coaches lording it over them telling them to be honorable...HONOR the commitment they made at 17 or 18 years of age and comply with everything demanded of them by that highly paid coach and then the darn coaches jump ship when a better job offer comes along? That pretty much stinks. I also think it pretty much stinks to hold the young student athletes MORE accountable than the highly paid coaches who hire agents, walk away when they get a better offer and get guarantees that they will get their millions even if they fail miserably as coaches and are fired and bought out. The window of opportunity is very brief for the teen-aged kids and there is a clock ticking away closing the window just a bit more with each tick. It's time to get tougher on the coaches. They have all the power plus the big buck guaranteed contracts. A kid gets five years to play four years and no guarantees about anything.

EVERY college coach who left the kids he recruited behind and took a promotion or more pay or a longer guaranteed contract should bow his head in shame...right oregongopher? Or, should people have the right to improve their situation...both the big buck coaches AND the young student athletes? Wouldn't that make for a little better situation for everyone? Or, should we judge the kids incredibly harshly for disappointing us by leaving and just keep offering head coaches more and more to try to hire them away from some other program? Maybe it is we fans who really suck and are ruining the WHOLE system by wanting our big buck boosters to buy the very best coach in hopes he can make us look good?

Or, should we judge the kids incredibly harshly for disappointing us by leaving and just keep offering head coaches more and more to try to hire them away from some other program?

It's bizarre how you feel 18-21 year olds these days have the emotional/mental capacity of five year olds. Must coddle, never criticize, never judge.

If it's announced tomorrow that Jerry Kill is leaving for a new head coaching gig, he will be criticized as harshly if not more harshly than young, delicate, fragile Philip Nelson.

(Still trying to find these waves and waves of harsh judgements of Philip Nelson)

It's bizarre how you feel 18-21 year olds these days have the emotional/mental capacity of five year olds. Must coddle, never criticize, never judge.

If it's announced tomorrow that Jerry Kill is leaving for a new head coaching gig, he will be criticized as harshly if not more harshly than young, delicate, fragile Philip Nelson.

(Still trying to find these waves and waves of harsh judgements of Philip Nelson)

+1 I think most people said something along the lines of darn, an experienced QB is leaving but I wish him well. I don't see much in the way of personal attacks when kids do transfer except in rare cases where the kid bashes the coach(s)/program on their way out the door. In several cases, I see GH's defending these kids who are criticized and Max comes to mind as one of those who many people defended.

I agree that one of the worst things many parents have done is to overly coddle their kids. Although I usually don't care much when a kid does transfer, I do think it is fair to ask about their commitment. It is not just the coach that they made a commitment to but also their teammates and the school itself. I get it relationships don't always work out but I think many of our overly coddled kids run the other direction at the first sign of trouble. Whether this is the case with PN or any other recent transfers, I don't know but I sure hope that's not the case. In the working world, it's not so easy to run from one employer to the next every time something doesn't go your way. The same holds true for personal relationships as too many kids find it easier to walk away from a relationship whether it be partners, friends, or even family members rather than to try and work it out issues (I'm not talking about abusive relationships BTW). I really think a big part of this problem stems from the "I love you, you're special, your the best, BFF" parents who think Johnny and Sally can do no wrong. As a result, trust and loyalty to others will oftentimes take a backseat to "look out for #1" thanks to these parents who have created these oh so perfect children.

If the real reason he transferred is that he doesn't want to have to compete for the job, I don't want him here. I want guys who like looking a challenge in the eye, and who are confident enough that they can earn their spot on the field.

+1 I think most people said something along the lines of darn, an experienced QB is leaving but I wish him well. I don't see much in the way of personal attacks when kids do transfer except in rare cases where the kid bashes the coach(s)/program on their way out the door. In several cases, I see GH's defending these kids who are criticized and Max comes to mind as one of those who many people defended.

I agree that one of the worst things many parents have done is to overly coddle their kids. Although I usually don't care much when a kid does transfer, I do think it is fair to ask about their commitment. It is not just the coach that they made a commitment to but also their teammates and the school itself. I get it relationships don't always work out but I think many of our overly coddled kids run the other direction at the first sign of trouble. Whether this is the case with PN or any other recent transfers, I don't know but I sure hope that's not the case. In the working world, it's not so easy to run from one employer to the next every time something doesn't go your way. The same holds true for personal relationships as too many kids find it easier to walk away from a relationship whether it be partners, friends, or even family members rather than to try and work it out issues (I'm not talking about abusive relationships BTW). I really think a big part of this problem stems from the "I love you, you're special, your the best, BFF" parents who think Johnny and Sally can do no wrong. As a result, trust and loyalty to others will oftentimes take a backseat to "look out for #1" thanks to these parents who have created these oh so perfect children.

Nonsense. It has nothing to do with parents raising their kids. It has EVERYTHING to do with public, non-profit universities running "for profit, big business sports franchises within their "non-profit" protected and tax advantaged structures. Iowa pays Ferentz over 3.5 million a year for the next how many years for coaching scholarship-paid student athletes who attend the University of iowa and make millions and millions of dollars for the athletic directors, coaches, fund-raisers and other hangers-on who profit from the NCAA ruled student athletes of the University of iowa. And the big buck coaches get to call all the shots and many times put the student athletes in impossible situations, career-wise. It's beyond a Madoff pyramid scheme for the coaches, athletic directors, fund-raisers and other people who benefit directly from this wild cash-flow money maker for the non-profit public universities.

Don't you know? College football is a big business. It is time for the players to unionize, hire agents, put their services out there for the highest bidders...you know...just the way the coaches do. And they need to have pension plans so that when they have completed their four years of playing time that the NCAA allows them, IF they have suffered severe injury they need the ability to come back on the "university" that they have been doing the "big business" for and collect millions to compensate them for their pain, suffering and injury. And, the contracts that they negotiate through their agents should probably be guaranteed money...you know just the way the coaches like to structure their contracts with those public universities. So, let's let the laws of supply and demand work for the benefit of the student athletes. You know, they are the little characters out there doing the will of their coaches and helping their coaches to sign multi-million dollar contracts with these public, non-profit, tax sheltered universities.

And the "merchandizing" that these student athletes help peddle really is an amazing profit machine for the non-profit university! The contracts with NIKE and Under/Armor are real cash cows! Or, the stadium naming rights deals...or the exclusive deals for Coke or Pepsi. The profit possibilities for the non-profit universities just NEVER end! And it has a LOT to do with that incredibly cheap labor and "star" pool that the NCAA keeps on such a short leash and throws ery few bones to: the student athletes. What a deal for those in charge. What a BAD deal for the student athletes.

Or, if things aren't working out within the system that the coach gets to dictate and a couple years of their total of four years of eligibility have ticked away for them maybe they could transfer out to find a new system and a new coach who might provide them with better opportunities. You know...it's kind of a free-will thing. The NCAA penalizes any kid who decides to transfer...you know...to protect the existing tax-sheltered "big business" of college football for the non-profit universities. But, it is the ONLY option a kid has to buck the system of highly paid coaches, athletic directors, college prexys, tv-contracts and media outlets.

IF things don't work out for the coach, the non-profit university just spends millions buying him out and the coach goes away and the non-profit university gets in a bidding war to steal a more marketable coach from another school. What a GREAT non-profit big business plan!

It really has nothing to do with basic parenting stuff, mngoldengophers1.

; 0 )

If the real reason he transferred is that he doesn't want to have to compete for the job, I don't want him here. I want guys who like looking a challenge in the eye, and who are confident enough that they can earn their spot on the field.

I think the real reason he left is that he wants to play in an quick passing attack where he isn't asked to run much. The kid has been dinged a few times and I think he want a better chance of not having his brain beat in.

Don't you know? College football is a big business. It is time for the players to unionize, hire agents, put their services out there for the highest bidders...you know...just the way the coaches do.

In big business, the employees are often criticized, judged harshly, even fired. You said we can't criticize or judge the student-athletes. Which is it?

Top Bottom