Pam Borton Fired UPDATED 4/7: VCU's Marlene Stollings HIRED!

Maturi is the gift that just keeps giving. He should teach a math class that analyzes how much money he has cost the U. Between all the buy out snafus, and even though it's less money than Mason and Monson this one takes the cake, Brew wasting the stadium momentum and empty seats in TCF, smaller crowds at Williams for years, his salary, etc, etc it might take a full semester to figure out how badly he has really financially harmed the U. That's not to mention the ancillary issues like overall apathy that peaked during his time that we are still trying to turn around. He needs to retire and leave the state I think some of the pall surrounding U of M sports would leave with him.

From "Comments Section" on the Strib story. Yeah, I know. Anybody know who the V.P. is, besides a friend of Borton and someone who didn't want to see the Women's Basketball program succeed?

Maturi didn't extend her contract. It was the former Chief of Staff under Bruininks who is now a VP on campus. Joel told me personally. He had no choice, but Pam's "friend" couldn't save her anymore! Way to go Norwood! Go Gophers!

From "Comments Section" on the Strib story. Yeah, I know. Anybody know who the V.P. is, besides a friend of Borton and someone who didn't want to see the Women's Basketball program succeed?

Maturi didn't extend her contract. It was the former Chief of Staff under Bruininks who is now a VP on campus. Joel told me personally. He had no choice, but Pam's "friend" couldn't save her anymore! Way to go Norwood! Go Gophers!

The U is so dysfunctional. Always has been; seemingly always will be.

The U is so dysfunctional. Always has been; seemingly always will be.

An organization with that many people is going to have elements of dysunction. Too many dysfunctional people for that not to happen and organizations only reflect the people who make them up. Add in the dysfunctional culture we live in (e.g. living on the edge of being sued, fearing to offend, socially accepted low grade narcissism, a quagmire of laws making it seemingly mpossible to dismiss anyone short of a crime) and I have a little sympathy for Joel and others caught in the mess, not a lot, but at least some. The U is not alone in its dysfunction. Widespread conversion is necessary to eliminate the dysfunction.

As a Fosston grad, I hope they give Roysland a shot at the job, and isn't just keeping the seat warm for the next coach!

Kathryn Brown. And yes, she is a friend of Pam's.

Ellis is not the type of recruit he wanted to keep. Ellis got minutes as MSU but not many. I think Teague and his staff follow recruiting closely.. they knew that it would be wise to let Richard bring in, or try to bring in, his own guys. If Ellis was a Top 50 type impact player.. I think Teague would have called him.

Sorry, but that's no excuse. You keep the recruits up-to-date on things if you're classy and well run. That was handled poorly be Teague/Mike Ellis. Period.

per Shooter:

Don't discount former Gophers icon Lindsay Whalen, 31, a point guard for the Lynx, or Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve, 47, as considerations for the Gophers women's head coaching job. Former Gophers standout and Lynx assistant Jim Petersen doesn't have a college degree, so he probably wouldn't be considered.

http://www.twincities.com/timberwolves/ci_25449680/charley-walters-kevin-love-would-be-missing-cog

Go Gophers!!

Just the same...I think I will go ahead and discount them.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

When I was on the practice team the only girl on the team that would be able to hold her own in a game with all guys was Emmy Fox. Everyone else would routinely get beat by your every day male rec baller. Maybe the talent on the team is much higher now, but there is a reason most women's programs have a male practice team... the guys are bigger, stronger, faster, and usually more talented. This is not a slight to women's basketball, just the reality of the situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I don't doubt what you are saying is true. And I think you might be suggesting what I feel. It's not important to me whether women are competitive with men in sports. What's important to me is that women's basketball is competitive between and amongst themselves. I really enjoyed the Whalen/McCarville era. Minnesota seems to be producing a lot of high quality women's basketball talent and it seems realistic that with the right coach that we could return to that level once again.

There is only one choice as I see it and that is Summitt from Marquette. One other choice may be Jensen from Iowa. Maybe!

Has Lindsay Whalen ever coached? She's an awesome player, but coaching is a lot more than that.

There is only one choice as I see it and that is Summitt from Marquette. One other choice may be Jensen from Iowa. Maybe!

If we hire Summitt, the Star Tribune can re-purpose its headline from the Pitino hire "Here Comes The Son!"

While I don't think gender should matter, I do think Teague will feel some pressure to hire a female. Our two other high profile women's sports (volleyball and hockey) are coached by men. It shouldn't matter, but my gut tells me we hire a female - if so, hopefully that hire is the best available candidate.

Go Gophers!!

If we hire Summitt, the Star Tribune can re-purpose its headline from the Pitino hire "Here Comes The Son!"

While I don't think gender should matter, I do think Teague will feel some pressure to hire a female. Our two other high profile women's sports (volleyball and hockey) are coached by men. It shouldn't matter, but my gut tells me we hire a female - if so, hopefully that hire is the best available candidate.

Go Gophers!!

Reusse implied as much on the radio yesterday. It's a shame not to hire the best candidate. Johnstone should absolutely be in the short list. Maybe Summit should too, though 24 really is pushing it. The main argument against Roysland is her age/experience and she's 29.

per Shooter:

Don't discount former Gophers icon Lindsay Whalen, 31, a point guard for the Lynx, or Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve, 47, as considerations for the Gophers women's head coaching job. Former Gophers standout and Lynx assistant Jim Petersen doesn't have a college degree, so he probably wouldn't be considered.

http://www.twincities.com/timberwolves/ci_25449680/charley-walters-kevin-love-would-be-missing-cog

Go Gophers!!

It's hard to believe that Cheryl Reeve would give up the gig she has now to spend most of the year running around the country recruiting high-school girls.

It's hard to believe that Cheryl Reeve would give up the gig she has now to spend most of the year running around the country recruiting high-school girls.

I'm surprised Shooter hasn't thrown a "Don't be surprised if Tony Dungy's wife is soon hired as the new Gopher's women basketball coach," up against the wall.

I'm surprised Shooter hasn't thrown a "Don't be surprised if Tony Dungy's wife is soon hired as the new Gopher's women basketball coach," up against the wall.

No kidding. This Whalen talk is, has been and will continue to be plainly ludicrous. And where the F did he get Cheryl Reeve? God almighty, he must just be going through the frickin phone book.

Why would Cheryl Reeves not be an option. I am not sure what a WNBA coach makes, but I would assume she would make a lot more at the U. What was Borton's salary?

And ND once hired a football coach directly out of HS. That doesn't mean it's generally a good idea.

I'd say Temple and South Carolina are substantially more pleased with their hires than Notre Dame was.

And, just so we're clear, I'm not advocating for Lindsay Whalen to be hired. I'm saying that dismissing it as "plainly ludicrous" is itself plainly ludicrous.

I'd say Temple and South Carolina are substantially more pleased with their hires than Notre Dame was.

And, just so we're clear, I'm not advocating for Lindsay Whalen to be hired. I'm saying that dismissing it as "plainly ludicrous" is itself plainly ludicrous.

And your own link tells us Staley had retired unlike Whalen who, I believe, has just signed an extension. Oh, and also Staley did serve as an assistant coach for a while with the national team which is a pretty good credential. It's plainly ludicrous to say it's "plainly ludicrous" to make the argument that it's "plainly ludicrous" to hire Whalen since it's plainly ludicrous to say the two situations are the same.

And your own link tells us Staley had retired unlike Whalen who, I believe, has just signed an extension.

Not accurate. Staley was simultaneously a WNBA player and college coach from 2000-2006.

Oh, and also Staley did serve as an assistant coach for a while with the national team which is a pretty good credential.

True - after being the Temple coach for 6 seasons. Like Whalen, she had zero coaching experience prior to being hired as Temple's head coach.

It's plainly ludicrous to say it's "plainly ludicrous" to make the argument that it's "plainly ludicrous" to hire Whalen since it's plainly ludicrous to say the two situations are the same.

In fact, they're virtually identical. Both are/were elite WNBA players and Olympic athletes. Both play/ed the most cerebral position, point guard. Staley was 29 when hired at Temple, and Whalen is 31 now.

And your own link tells us Staley had retired unlike Whalen who, I believe, has just signed an extension. Oh, and also Staley did serve as an assistant coach for a while with the national team which is a pretty good credential. It's plainly ludicrous to say it's "plainly ludicrous" to make the argument that it's "plainly ludicrous" to hire Whalen since it's plainly ludicrous to say the two situations are the same.

OK, I guess it's not as plainly ludicrous as it seems at first glance. Still hard to imagine it happening, especially with the number of highly-qualified candidates that might be interested. Additionally, unless I'm mistaken, Lindsay Whalen is not Dawn Staley. Pardon me for what will sound like criticism, but Lindsay doesn't seem to have the communication skills that suggest a coaching aptitude.

At the presser talking about the firing , Norwood said one of the top priorities in a new coach was having a strong base in recruiting at both the national and local level. The only recruiting experience Lindsay has is when she was still looking for a husband. If she is interested in a coaching future and is willing to give up playing in Europe , an assistants job would maybe a possibility.

Top Bottom