Pam Borton Fired UPDATED 4/7: VCU's Marlene Stollings HIRED!

Seems like it was a long time coming. I was never that impressed with her when I was on the practice team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Maybe you guys are the blame as the woman's team apparently dominated you guys.

The right coach and the women's team will parallel the men. Give Woody credit. He didn't waste any time and I doubt
Any of the recruits renege on their pledges.

Good riddance. Maybe we can get rid of the whole waste-of-time program.

She probably doesn't fit what Teague likes to do, and has too many parallels with Tubby, but I wonder if Debbie Ryan would be interested in a return. She's only 61, basically the same age as Auriemma, Stringer at Rutgers, the Stanford coach, etc. Her last decade at UVa was under-whelming but the ACC is much more difficult than the B1G when it comes to women's basketball.

What about Sid? I heard he might be looking for a job.

Maybe she's still too young and not quite as experienced as you'd like, but I'd love to bring back Marisa Moseley. She was an assistant for a couple of years under Borton, but eventually left for a spot on Geno's staff at UConn. She's now been there for 4 seasons. I was always impressed with her, especially considering she hadn't been coaching long when she landed at Minnesota. I wasn't surprised when Geno stole her away. I admittedly don't follow women's college basketball so maybe that is a horrible idea, just first thing I thought of once I saw Borton was fired.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/marisa_moseley_459134.html

Good news is that whatever coach we bring in, there's a possibility that one or two of their recruits could consider following the coach to Minnesota.

Am I the only one who doesn't care?

per Marcus:

She's intrigued about who that will be, but Wagner also said she hopes one of Borton's assistants remains on the next staff.

"I just want to get better and carry on the tradition of Gophers basketball," she said. "Making the NCAA tournament would be a huge goal, for sure. Having a winning and good record. I want to make an impact, whether it's on the bench cheering my teammates on or out on the floor. I'll be happy just to impact the game in some way."

Gophers athletics director Norwood Teague said at his Friday news conference that he talked with Wagner.

"I had a great conversation," Teague said. "We'll keep communicating with her. I'll talk to the others as well. You have to do that. You want to make them feel at ease with what's going on.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...asketball-borton-firing-doesnt-change-wagners

Go Gophers!!

Patrick Reusse: Borton couldn't survive latest underachievement

You want a bottom line on this?

Rachel Banham should be remembered as an all-time great Gopher and, after three seasons, she has yet to play in an NCAA tournament.

To Borton’s credit, the new coach will be walking into a made-for-success situation, with Banham as a senior, and center Amanda Zahui B. as a sophomore, and the sensational Carlie Wagner as a freshman.

Teague called New Richland to check in with Wagner after firing Borton. Teague’s report was that Carlie remains set to be a Gopher starting next fall.

That’s all qualified candidates will need to know to say “yes” when Teague or his basketball man, Mike Ellis, calls to ask if they might be interested.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/252995841.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Gophers athletics director Norwood Teague said at his Friday news conference that he talked with Wagner.

"I had a great conversation," Teague said. "We'll keep communicating with her. I'll talk to the others as well. You have to do that. You want to make them feel at ease with what's going on.

Unlike what he did with Ellis when he fired Tubby.

Unlike what he did with Ellis when he fired Tubby.

Ellis is not the type of recruit he wanted to keep. Ellis got minutes as MSU but not many. I think Teague and his staff follow recruiting closely.. they knew that it would be wise to let Richard bring in, or try to bring in, his own guys. If Ellis was a Top 50 type impact player.. I think Teague would have called him.

I'd like one of you fuc-ks who degrade women's basketball go one on one with any of the ladies.Banham benches 220 pounds. The big Swede would knock you flat on your ass. My guess is you degrade women in other social aspects as well.

I am glad Wagner doesn't want to de-commit. I agree with the earlier poster this could be a great set up for the new coach.

I'd like one of you fuc-ks who degrade women's basketball go one on one with any of the ladies.Banham benches 220 pounds. The big Swede would knock you flat on your ass. My guess is you degrade women in other social aspects as well.

When I was on the practice team the only girl on the team that would be able to hold her own in a game with all guys was Emmy Fox. Everyone else would routinely get beat by your every day male rec baller. Maybe the talent on the team is much higher now, but there is a reason most women's programs have a male practice team... the guys are bigger, stronger, faster, and usually more talented. This is not a slight to women's basketball, just the reality of the situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Exciting times for the women's team. Hopefully Norwood makes the right hire. Admit it, we were all watching when Whalen and McCaville made that glorious run to the Final 4. I long for those days.

If I remember right, wasn't it then that the team made the move from playing in the Pavilion to Williams Arena to accommodate the large crowds?

Exciting times for the women's team. Hopefully Norwood makes the right hire. Admit it, we were all watching when Whalen and McCaville made that glorious run to the Final 4. I long for those days.

If I remember right, wasn't it then that the team made the move from playing in the Pavilion to Williams Arena to accommodate the large crowds?

I think it was 2 years prior. They initially moved because a water pipe burst in the Sports Pavilion and haven't gone back since!

Top Bottom