Pam Borton Fired UPDATED 4/7: VCU's Marlene Stollings HIRED!

Monty519

Reaction score
Wow...I wasn't sure he'd actually pull the trigger. But then again, he did fire Tubby after a tourney win, so you know dude has guts.

Borton Fired

KARE 11 ‏@kare11 2m
University of Minnesota women's basketball coach Pam Borton has been fired. Asst. coach Kelly Roysland was named interim head coach.

When the crazy blanket lady stopped supporting her, it was only a matter of time.

Somebody go to the airport and look for the UPS drone to deliver the next coach!

Serious question, would it be considered a major step down to go from the pros to college for women's hoops? As far as popularity, TV and name recognition is concerned, aren't they about equal? Does a top college coach make more than a WNBA coach?

Seems like it was a long time coming. I was never that impressed with her when I was on the practice team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mods, please move to Rowing Team Forum.

Waaaay overdue. Took the boosters awhile to finally concede and agree.

Serious question, would it be considered a major step down to go from the pros to college for women's hoops? As far as popularity, TV and name recognition is concerned, aren't they about equal? Does a top college coach make more than a WNBA coach?

Wouldn't be a major step down. Just like it happens in the NBA sometimes (usually a college coach going back though). Problem is that you never know what a pro coach can do recruiting wise if they weren't previously a college coach. Cheryl Reeve (head coach for the Lynx) is a fantastic coach, but could she recruit? Don't know. Anyone think we might consider Jim Peterson who is a former Gopher and is an assistant coach on the Lynx? I doubt he'd want to leave his TWolves announcing/Lynx gig, but who knows. I still think Teague goes for the biggest name in Div 1 basketball that says yes.

Was she one of our defensive backfield coaches?

Has anyone mentioned Lindsey Whalen as a replacement?

Handwriting was on the wall for Borton about midway through the season. Bottom line was that the program has dropped off and stayed completely mediocre for several years now so this is no surprise. Frankly, I'm surprised Borton made this long with how her teams have performed in recent seasons.

Seems like it was a long time coming. I was never that impressed with her when I was on the practice team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

What a tool. Take a a couple weeks off, dude.

Top Bottom