Pam Borton Fired UPDATED 4/7: VCU's Marlene Stollings HIRED!

an 8 page thread about womens basketball. I must say, I'm impressed

Well, at one time they were averaging about 10,000 fans a game. About 2,000 more than that towards the end of that Final Four year. Atmosphere in the Barn then was damn near as good as a lot of men's games since that time. Potential is there to do it again or at least get close.

Yes! She looks real good to me too.

I hope she isn't a lesbian because it will cost the U $359,000 because they won't know how to deal with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@DarrenWolfson 31m
Assuming background check goes ok, I expect Stollings to get #Gophers job. Contract perks/yrs/language like Pitino's. $ obviously different.

I hope she isn't a lesbian because it will cost the U $359,000 because they won't know how to deal with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not trying to get into any debate, but Stollings definitely appears to be lesbian. Regardless, doesn't matter what she is as long as she can make something out of a program that doesn't appear to be short on talented players. This year is a must as far as making the NCAA Tourney and trying to do damage while we are there.

Heard its a done deal. Stollings will be our next coach. Good luck to her...

Not trying to get into any debate, but Stollings definitely appears to be lesbian. Regardless, doesn't matter what she is as long as she can make something out of a program that doesn't appear to be short on talented players. This year is a must as far as making the NCAA Tourney and trying to do damage while we are there.

Please enlighten us with your fool-proof method for determining when someone "appears to be lesbian." (sarcasm alert) I think for a lot of guys, their definition of a lesbian is a woman who won't go out with them.

No offense, but candidates' sexual orientation has absolutely no relation to their ability to coach and as such has no place in this discussion.

Would prefer a local candidate as successful as Johnston get the job but understand Ellis has an affinity for Stollings from hiring her at VCU.

I prefer Ivey from ND. Recruiting coordinator, young but has a resume and easy on the eyes. :)

The one thing against Johnston was at SDSU he didn't recruit big time talent. He recruited good players and helped make them better but he was often recruiting kids not recruited by Minnesota. This doesn't make him a bad coach but the Gophers are looking for the total package and maybe they question if Johnston can be that coach.

The one thing against Johnston was at SDSU he didn't recruit big time talent. He recruited good players and helped make them better but he was often recruiting kids not recruited by Minnesota. This doesn't make him a bad coach but the Gophers are looking for the total package and maybe they question if Johnston can be that coach.

We'll never know, but I'd guess that wasn't the only thing against Johnston. Sort of thought the coach would be a woman if no male candidate was head and shoulders above everyone else. That and the ties to Ellis was a lot for Johnston to overcome. We don't even know if he was interested, by the way. That's fine, IMO, since Stollings has a good resume. I like the fact she has head coaching experience. The team next year can do a lot; Stollings seems much more of a sure thing than taking a chance on an assistant moving up and learning on the job, even if Slim Tub is disappointed.

Of course, it's still just rumors, but Norwood sure sounded like he had a hire on the radio Saturday. Hope they announce it Tuesday, but this is the U and the ghost of Cal Luther might still haunt the Barn so even then it might not be done.

(Be interesting to know what Ms. Wagner has been told)

No offense, but candidates' sexual orientation has absolutely no relation to their ability to coach and as such has no place in this discussion.

As I said, it doesn't matter what she is, because it has no impact on her ability to be a successful or possibly unsuccessful basketball coach. I was responding to someone's previous concern of her being a lesbian because of some money issue which I'm not understanding. Whatever it was, still irrelevant.

Onto the real issue: Stollings appears to be our new head coach, so lets see what she makes out of Banham, Wagner, Zahui, and Hirt this season. It's a big year, and hopefully she proves she is the right hire while establishing ties in the area recruiting-wise.

Stollings has 4 main in-state recruits who she needs to target and work to establish a relationship with ASAP.
TT Starks- Junior Guard (North Tartan/Hopkins) *almost committed to MN this winter
Madison Guebert- Junior Guard (North Tartan/Eastview) *best player in Minnesota next year
Nia Hollie- Sophomore Guard (Hopkins)
Jasmyn Martin- Freshman F/C (Hopkins) *could play college volleyball instead

Welcome Coach Stollings. I hope you have as much success as Coach P.

With the talent she's inheriting (Banham, Zahui B, Wagner), sure hope she produces something better than a WNIT bid (not a knock on Richard). She has to be licking her chops to know she'll have those 3 players.

So would AJ have turned it down?

I have no way of knowing what AJ would have done if offered the position...but, if forced to state an opinion (without any supporting facts), I would guess that AJ, if offered the job with a significant pay hike from his current earnings, would have given it serious consideration. He accepted UW-Green Bay a few years ago but changed his mind in the MSP airport waiting for his flight.

AJ has told the press that he was not contacted by Minnesota -- perhaps his placement on a short list was nothing more than speculation by those who had no connection with the U's athletic administration.

Jackrabbit fans don't want to lose him but no one will be surprised if he moved to a major-conference program some day.

I have no way of knowing what AJ would have done if offered the position...but, if forced to state an opinion (without any supporting facts), I would guess that AJ, if offered the job with a significant pay hike from his current earnings, would have given it serious consideration. He accepted UW-Green Bay a few years ago but changed his mind in the MSP airport waiting for his flight.

AJ has told the press that he was not contacted by Minnesota -- perhaps his placement on a short list was nothing more than speculation by those who had no connection with the U's athletic administration.

Jackrabbit fans don't want to lose him but no one will be surprised if he moved to a major-conference program some day.

Thank you, Jack.

We'll never know, but I'd guess that wasn't the only thing against Johnston. Sort of thought the coach would be a woman if no male candidate was head and shoulders above everyone else. That and the ties to Ellis was a lot for Johnston to overcome. We don't even know if he was interested, by the way. That's fine, IMO, since Stollings has a good resume. I like the fact she has head coaching experience. The team next year can do a lot; Stollings seems much more of a sure thing than taking a chance on an assistant moving up and learning on the job, even if Slim Tub is disappointed.

Of course, it's still just rumors, but Norwood sure sounded like he had a hire on the radio Saturday. Hope they announce it Tuesday, but this is the U and the ghost of Cal Luther might still haunt the Barn so even then it might not be done.

(Be interesting to know what Ms. Wagner has been told)

I can live with Stollings...she brings a good résumé. I just want a reason to get excited and I know you're a huge supporter of the women's program. We need more of that!

Top Bottom