OFFICIAL: Minnesota vs Syracuse in Pinstripe Bowl

NYC is NOT a better location than either Nashville or Charlotte. I would travel to Nashville, I would travel to Charlotte, I would not go to NYC! My daughter lives in NYC, I won’t even go there to see her, much less go to see a meaningless bowl game!

My biggest problem with it tho is it’s another crappy bowl opponent! Nobody cares about Syracuse! Will I watch the game, sure, but will it do a thing for the program, NOPE!
Jebus that got dark fast .... wtf

I don't even know what it gets ESPN.

Some of these games like the Pinnstripe is at 2pm ... on a Friday. Not even a good time to get viewers ...
It's pretty surprising. I looked it up a few years ago when pointing out to a (as always) delusional NDSU fan, that even the lowest bowl game still gets more viewers than the FCS title game. BTW, I was wrong - there were two bowl games with lower ratings that year - Bahamas and Boca Raton, but the point was made.

In any case, people just love to watch football, especially during that holiday week. A lot of people take that week, or at least part of that week, off of work, and games are just on whatever they are doing. Here's a good article.

You should take a look at Nashville's
You can find deals if you don't want to stay within a couple blocks of Broadway.

I just got back tonight, and we stayed about a 10 minute walk north of Broadway and it wasn't expensive. My wife was there last year over NYE with friends and they stayed a little ways from downtown, but a short Uber ride, and their hotel was pretty reasonable.

Well, I hope this helps them sell more mowers to guys who wear sleeveless tees all year long to show off their barbed wire tattoo while cruising in their GMC Sierra with a sticker of Calvin passing on the Ford logo in their back window.
Which are exactly the same people who live in fear of visiting a big scary city and post here to tell us about it.

I don't even know what it gets ESPN.

Some of these games like the Pinnstripe is at 2pm ... on a Friday. Not even a good time to get viewers ...
They get crazy, (almost unbelievable) good numbers in those time slots. Bowls are a jackpot for ESPN. And last year they had chased out all of the competition and broadcast every single bowl game. They got better numbers in the daytime, on cable, than some networks got in prime time during bowl week.

We got what we deserved. We lost to iowa, Purdue and Illinois
And the Syracuse fans pointing out how bad the records of the teams we beat were, are making a point. Still, for those living on the tundra, a bowl game should mean palm trees or magnolias or live oaks.

I have read that the Pinstripe Bowl has an agreement with the Big 10 to get different teams to their Bowl ( I think the goal was 8 different teams in 8 years?). If that is the case then Minnesota was always "in danger" (if that is your perspective of the Bowl) of going to the Pinstripe this year if they didn't distance themselves from their peers in the conference.

I do have some conflicting feelings about this that may or may not be warranted depending on the accuracy of the above information about the Pinstripe Bowl contract. Does our administration advocate enough for Gopher football with the conference? I feel like the changes to the B1G schedule this year that came late were not favorable to us. Last year, as many people noted, we went to a bowl that was two slots lower than our record indicated. Now this year we also get a bowl that is two slots lower than our record indicated. It seems like we're "owed" some favors, but maybe we're still paying back that Jan 1 gift we got under Kill? I consider myself part of the "just win" crowd so I also feel like if we just beat Purdue and Iowa...who knows what bowl we'd be talking about today. Also Iowa did finish with one fewer win, but they also played both Michigan and Ohio State in the crossovers, so I can see a case for them beyond their unbelievably lucky win over Minnesota.

I wish we were close enough in the voting to make the top 25 with a win, but that seems like an impossiblity. I thought we could get in last year with win over WVU, but we didn't make it. I like to see those seasons where the Gophers end the year in top 25. PJ, at least publicly, is saying the right things. I think the players will have a good time as NYC over the Holidays is kind of a bucket list thing for many (not all). 9-4 looks so much better than 8-5, so I hope PJ can extend his bowl win streak...though I'd rather lose this one and win in January 2024 :)

I'm sure behind the scenes he is doing just fine. Some people just don't like the camera etc. Don't be so negative. Why? What does that accomplish?

As to New York. Only 5% of the Gophers raised their hand today to state that they have been there. There is much to do there. They will have a good time and see things that they normally wouldn't see and visit for that matter.
I have no problem with Coyle. We all have strength and weaknesses. I'm sure behind the scenes he is doing just fine. Some people just don't like the camera etc. Don't be so negative. Why? What does that accomplish?

As to New York. Only 5% of the Gophers raised their hand today to state that they have been there. There is much to do there. They will have a good time and see things that they normally wouldn't see and visit for that matter.
If he were doing just fine behind the scenes:

We'd be in a different bowl.

The athletes village would be paid for.

The athletic department would be in communication with fans way more deeply across all levels of engagement.

Etc.

I had hoped under any circumstances we would always avoid this bowl.... cold new York baseball stadium. Just gross...

Solution: beat bielema and ferentz.

No we got jobbed by Maryland jumping u
It will be awesome if the very same people complaining about the bowl game destination will be complaining if the Gophers lose the game they’re complaining about having to play. 😎
I’m really just sort of meh in the whole thing. Will watch the game, and it sounds like the Pride is getting the royal treatment so the kids will have fun. But as a 50yr old minnesota golden gopher fan it’s just zzzzzzzzzz

May be done for the year. I don’t even know that I care about the Syracuse “program”. When do pitchers and catchers report?

Good lord we have a lot of whiners in this forum.

We didn't get hosed, we didn't get screwed, the Big Ten isn't out to get us. Some get way too caught up in the selection process. It isn't slotted based on standings, standings are one of the factors in consideration but there is far more than that involved. A big one is trying to make sure teams go to different locations for the second tier bowls.

And you would think everyone would know by now but the bowl revenue is split evenly among the teams in the conference so the payout does not matter.

I get that some are disappointed in the location/opponent/date.....whatever. But the moaning and complaining isn't going to change anything. The team earned a bowl game, gets 15 extra practices and the players will get to have a really cool experience from the sounds of it.

Good lord we have a lot of whiners in this forum.

We didn't get hosed, we didn't get screwed, the Big Ten isn't out to get us. Some get way too caught up in the selection process. It isn't slotted based on standings, standings are one of the factors in consideration but there is far more than that involved. A big one is trying to make sure teams go to different locations for the second tier bowls.

And you would think everyone would know by now but the bowl revenue is split evenly among the teams in the conference so the payout does not matter.

I get that some are disappointed in the location/opponent/date.....whatever. But the moaning and complaining isn't going to change anything. The team earned a bowl game, gets 15 extra practices and the players will get to have a really cool experience from the sounds of it.
Legit thought I was on the Syracuse forum for a sec. This is exactly what many of us have been saying. The practices are bigger than people think

I have read that the Pinstripe Bowl has an agreement with the Big 10 to get different teams to their Bowl ( I think the goal was 8 different teams in 8 years?). If that is the case then Minnesota was always "in danger" (if that is your perspective of the Bowl) of going to the Pinstripe this year if they didn't distance themselves from their peers in the conference.

I do have some conflicting feelings about this that may or may not be warranted depending on the accuracy of the above information about the Pinstripe Bowl contract. Does our administration advocate enough for Gopher football with the conference? I feel like the changes to the B1G schedule this year that came late were not favorable to us. Last year, as many people noted, we went to a bowl that was two slots lower than our record indicated. Now this year we also get a bowl that is two slots lower than our record indicated. It seems like we're "owed" some favors, but maybe we're still paying back that Jan 1 gift we got under Kill? I consider myself part of the "just win" crowd so I also feel like if we just beat Purdue and Iowa...who knows what bowl we'd be talking about today. Also Iowa did finish with one fewer win, but they also played both Michigan and Ohio State in the crossovers, so I can see a case for them beyond their unbelievably lucky win over Minnesota.

I wish we were close enough in the voting to make the top 25 with a win, but that seems like an impossiblity. I thought we could get in last year with win over WVU, but we didn't make it. I like to see those seasons where the Gophers end the year in top 25. PJ, at least publicly, is saying the right things. I think the players will have a good time as NYC over the Holidays is kind of a bucket list thing for many (not all). 9-4 looks so much better than 8-5, so I hope PJ can extend his bowl win streak...though I'd rather lose this one and win in January 2024 :)

Makes you wonder if Coyle fucked up last year. By all accounts (whether true or not).....the Gophers chose the Guaranteed Rate Bowl last year over the Pinstripe Bowl. Sounds like weather and fans in that area were reasons for doing it that way.

Now....if he knew about the Pinstripe Bowl and their clause for different teams each year....he had to have known that there would be a good chance of getting it this year. When the better bowls were off the table....maybe that was a bad choice not to knock ourselves out of the running last year rather than wait and be strapped with it this year.

Makes you wonder if Coyle fucked up last year. By all accounts (whether true or not).....the Gophers chose the Guaranteed Rate Bowl last year over the Pinstripe Bowl. Sounds like weather and fans in that area were reasons for doing it that way.

Now....if he knew about the Pinstripe Bowl and their clause for different teams each year....he had to have known that there would be a good chance of getting it this year. When the better bowls were off the table....maybe that was a bad choice not to knock ourselves out of the running last year rather than wait and be strapped with it this year.
I thought about this too. IF that's all true, it would be short sighted on the ADs part. You never take a worse outcome in hopes of a better outcome later

Last year would have been MN to pinstripe and assuming Maryland to GRB. Assuming we flip flop bowls then this year.

Born in northern NJ. Lived in NYC area until college, but came back years later and worked in Manhattan for over ten years during the Guliana era. The environment has clearly changed since then, and all the comments about safety are correct. Ditto bowl, baseball stadium, opponent etc. But from the player's standpoint, how many have been to the greatest city in the world and experienced what the city has to offer from a cultural/activity standpoint? Rock Center, WTC area, Broadway, Museum of Natural History etc. I think for most of our squad it will be an eye-opener. Then there's the swag too. Plus, a win over Syracuse with the Illinois (Greek) Riflemen having a big day and Mo breaking the rushing record. Perfect MN weather too.

Things that are only happening in the minds of the easily manipulated. Next.
Poor, pathetic little man. Consigned by a cult religion to a lifetime of denial and deflection, always a laughing stocker.

You can find deals if you don't want to stay within a couple blocks of Broadway.

I just got back tonight, and we stayed about a 10 minute walk north of Broadway and it wasn't expensive. My wife was there last year over NYE with friends and they stayed a little ways from downtown, but a short Uber ride, and their hotel was pretty reasonable.
It's probably like New Orleans. Yeah, if you stay right by (or in!) the French Quarter, then you're going to be paying an arm and a leg. But you can go a short Uber ride away and pay reasonable amounts and just Uber in. That's what most people (have to) do.

Just for s__ts & giggles, would be interesting to see how the bowls would've shaken out if Gophers had gone to Pinstripe last year and thus ineligible this year. Illinois might've been the only team able to go.

OR, the conference would've just broken their agreement and sent Wisconsin anyway.

Maybe that moves us up to the Mayo. But not sure how. I guess if Maryland has to go to Phoenix.

Right, but just pointing out that you don't have to be in NYC in the winter to find rooms over $400. Guessing Nashville would be over $400 too. Florida is different because that state was built on tourism so there's tons of hotels.

When there is nothing in particular going on, Nashville would have cheaper lodging than NYC. During special events (like the national music convention - NAMM) or holidays (like New Year's Eve) those prices (at least for centrally located hotels) go way, way up.

I had hoped under any circumstances we would always avoid this bowl.... cold new York baseball stadium. Just gross...

Solution: beat bielema and ferentz.
I agree that we made our own bed by not getting it done against Illinois and Iowa. NYC at Christmas could be fun, but for those of us that live in northern metro areas, a warm location is much more appealing.

Poor, pathetic little man. Consigned by a cult religion to a lifetime of denial and deflection, always a laughing stocker.

Don't be mad at me because you are frightened to leave the house. Too much political television for you. Gets the crazy thoughts stirred up for the weak of mind.

Just for s__ts & giggles, would be interesting to see how the bowls would've shaken out if Gophers had gone to Pinstripe last year and thus ineligible this year. Illinois might've been the only team able to go.

OR, the conference would've just broken their agreement and sent Wisconsin anyway.

Maybe that moves us up to the Mayo. But not sure how. I guess if Maryland has to go to Phoenix.

Hard to say. But maybe Coyle deserves some blame for not knowing the rules with the Pinstripe. Or maybe the conference didn't make this known.

Top Bottom