OFFICIAL: Minnesota vs Syracuse in Pinstripe Bowl

I was making a point. I can find Marriott properties in battery park, Hudson yards etc (W, 4 points, moxy, court yard) for 400....Renaissance in chelsea for 500. This is literally 2 minutes of research. I'm sure I could plan a bad ass trip easily. Yeah...if you want the Ritz over new years or a times Square suite, it's gonna be expensive. NYC isn't that bad if you actually do your research and plan.
Rooms in Duluth for next weekend are over $400 a night....

Its absolutely hilarious to read all of the "we were screwed again"! rants. You know how you don't get screwed in your bowl game last year? Don't lose to one of the worst teams in the country (Bowling Green) AT HOME. Know how you don't get screwed this year? Don't lose to a lousy Iowa team AT HOME. The Gophers always have one choke job per year that costs them.
The part you and others are completely missing is the “we were screwed again” rants are comparing the Gophers to their peers (who have also lost similar games, finished with the same or worse records, or beat them head to head). It is easy to say “they got what they deserved” until you pull just one layer off the onion. Then, as you pull more layers it definitely leads to some frustration.

It's too bad B1G doesn't have a deal with the Holiday Bowl anymore.

Hell there used to be TWO bowl games in San Diego at one point I thought.

Really places like that should have like ... 4 bowl games. Great weather, lots to do.
That may change when the new stadium opens in SD.

Listening to Fleck reconfirmed what I said earlier, this is a great opportunity and experience for the players. It may not be a fan favorite, but I bet the players will have a great time.
A bowl game, any bowl game for the players for sure is a good thing.

Fans bitch about personal choices and such as they have to consider footing the bill themselves.

But I'm glad the team is getting those "extra practices" in and get to do some NYC type stuff.

I live there, hence the name and if you go by actual FBI Crime Statistics ( which compare them on a per capita basis), you would see it has a far lower murder rate than Mpls historically and it routinely ranks as one of the safest big cities in the country.

The people you are addressing probably wouldn't spend much time in Minneapolis either.

Duluth is always really expensive.
Right, but just pointing out that you don't have to be in NYC in the winter to find rooms over $400. Guessing Nashville would be over $400 too. Florida is different because that state was built on tourism so there's tons of hotels.

You use this as a game to showcase AK by letting him throw it 40 times.

Of course, they would never consider that.

But you can get AK more experience, showcase the passing offense for all recruits , etc.
My guess is that we will get a bunch of Mo to make 100% certain that we win the game. By the time that they let the Greek throw the ball, most fans will have tuned out is my bet. That is the problem with playing Syracuse - we MUST WIN - that will be the priority. Player development and trying to recruit based on showing we still use the forward pass is secondary.

You're free to come out whenever.

Lots of downtown city streets across the nation that I'd avoid at night. What makes you afraid of the Bronx in particular?

Yup. Crime is worse in population centers (cities) across the nation. More people....more crime. You're starting to figure it out.
Demonizing and defunding law enforcement / glorifying and pandering to criminals. Can you figure out any connection?

My guess is that we will get a bunch of Mo to make 100% certain that we win the game. By the time that they let the Greek throw the ball, most fans will have tuned out is my bet. That is the problem with playing Syracuse - we MUST WIN - that will be the priority. Player development and trying to recruit based on showing we still use the forward pass is secondary.
But Fleck doesn't play to win, he plays not to lose. So I read here a lot.

A bowl game, any bowl game for the players for sure is a good thing.

Fans bitch about personal choices and such as they have to consider footing the bill themselves.

But I'm glad the team is getting those "extra practices" in and get to do some NYC type stuff.
Speaking of bitch. Dino is Coyle’s.

Great location for us to do some recruiting. It would be nice to get some commitments from the state of NY. Enjoy Go Gophers

Demonizing and defunding law enforcement / glorifying and pandering to criminals. Can you figure out any connection?
Manwithtinfoilhat.jpg

When your tinfoil hat interferes with your ability to talk about football on a football forum ... that's your problem.

Doesn't matter. Low to mid level bowls are cheap holiday week content for ESPN and they get good ratings. Plus unlike some locations, bowl game travel is but a blip on the economy of NYC.
I don't even know what it gets ESPN.

Some of these games like the Pinnstripe is at 2pm ... on a Friday. Not even a good time to get viewers ...

Punctuation point on a meh season.

Great location for us to do some recruiting. It would be nice to get some commitments from the state of NY. Enjoy Go Gophers
Do the teams get to invite visitors / recruits to bowl games / host them?

For some reason I assumed they don't.

But Fleck doesn't play to win, he plays not to lose. So I read here a lot.
Running tons of Mo vs. Syracuse rather than letting the Greek throw the ball and put on a clinic for WR recruits to see IS playing not to lose.

Here's what I was trying to say:

Gopher fans are very familiar with the program. Some guy who's on a bowl committee in NY, NC or TN may know next to nothing about the Gophers. So they do some research, and what do they see?

Haven't won a conf title since 1967. haven't won a divisional title since the start of divisions. never played in a conference championship game. MN had the one big year in 2019, but has not matched that success in recent years. Don't sell out their home stadium - one of the smaller stadiums in the conference.

to an outside observer, especially from another part of the country, MN is not a top program - not a marquee program.

so MN fans say "we deserve a better bowl game," but from outside the fan bubble, the response to that is "Why?"

if that seems harsh, I'm just trying to present it the way an outsider might look at it.
Not at all harsh. I agree with your conclusion based on that history. I wondered if you might agree that Gopher fans are predominantly UM alums which limits that bubble's volume while most non-alums do not consider Gopher sports to be their first loyalty toward Minnesota teams.

The difference between the Pinstripe, Mayo and Music City is really not all that much. Except that it is in a "cold" location, New York is a far better city than Charlotte or Nashville. There isn't a whole helluva lot in Charlotte and I can't stand country music.
Agree with this except NYC hotel prices are quite high

It's kinda weird no tourist towns or big entertainment companies ... Disney? haven't gotten into the bowl game business.

I remember growing up and Disney hosted all these dance competitions for high school dance teams at some point. I'd go for cheap when I had family that attended them. Stay in the park, easy access to everyting, we spent money. Granted this was Febuary, Disney's slow time so it made sense to bring folks in.

Disney doesn't need help bringing in folks during the holidays so they're kinda out on that ...

But a nice place / tourist town ... you'd think someone could make some money but the amount of fans and effort involved must not be worth it.

Weird world.

NYC is NOT a better location than either Nashville or Charlotte. I would travel to Nashville, I would travel to Charlotte, I would not go to NYC! My daughter lives in NYC, I won’t even go there to see her, much less go to see a meaningless bowl game!

My biggest problem with it tho is it’s another crappy bowl opponent! Nobody cares about Syracuse! Will I watch the game, sure, but will it do a thing for the program, NOPE!

Top Bottom