OFFICIAL: Minnesota vs Syracuse in Pinstripe Bowl

Makes you wonder if Coyle fucked up last year. By all accounts (whether true or not).....the Gophers chose the Guaranteed Rate Bowl last year over the Pinstripe Bowl. Sounds like weather and fans in that area were reasons for doing it that way.

Now....if he knew about the Pinstripe Bowl and their clause for different teams each year....he had to have known that there would be a good chance of getting it this year. When the better bowls were off the table....maybe that was a bad choice not to knock ourselves out of the running last year rather than wait and be strapped with it this year.

What's the difference if we played in the Pinstripe last year or this year? Both teams finished 8-4 and people would have complained just as much last year if we would have taken it.

At this time last year, Coyle and Fleck both likely believed this years team would be better with a new OC and they likely had a good idea of who would be back. They were a few plays away from being right and we wouldn't be having the Pinstripe conversation this year.

We've avoided this bowl for longer than pretty much every other middling B1G program so it is what it is at this point.

If you were planning on traveling to a Bowl Game then yeah, get why you're unhappy or angry.

Just don't accept that the Gophers earned a better Bowl Game. They didn't beat a single team with a winning record. Though a couple have a chance to finish over .500 now.

They also spit the bit against Iowa. They dominated that game and only got into the end zone once.

Gonna watch and hope they get a 9-4 season out of it. That and getting the Axe, will make this season feel better.
Go NMSU and Wis... Uhhh, go NMSU!!!!!

If you were planning on traveling to a Bowl Game then yeah, get why you're unhappy or angry.

Just don't accept that the Gophers earned a better Bowl Game. They didn't beat a single team with a winning record. Though a couple have a chance to finish over .500 now.

They also spit the bit against Iowa. They dominated that game and only got into the end zone once.

Gonna watch and hope they get a 9-4 season out of it. That and getting the Axe, will make this season feel better.
Definitely most of the reason I'm feeling salty is that we were planning on traveling to this, and the NYC location just shot it all to hell. For the reasons covered by others, Yankee Stadium/NYC is a hard pass. I think there's a lot of truth in what you're saying, and definitely believe that if the Gophs had won the games they should have, none of the current coversations would be happening.

9-4 season would be nice. Don't particularly give two rips about Syracuse, so...yeah.

just win, Fleck.

Definitely most of the reason I'm feeling salty is that we were planning on traveling to this, and the NYC location just shot it all to hell. For the reasons covered by others, Yankee Stadium/NYC is a hard pass. I think there's a lot of truth in what you're saying, and definitely believe that if the Gophs had won the games they should have, none of the current coversations would be happening.

9-4 season would be nice. Don't particularly give two rips about Syracuse, so...yeah.

just win, Fleck.
Frozen Four is in Tampa. Gophers looking good this year. Do that trip instead!

Just for s__ts & giggles, would be interesting to see how the bowls would've shaken out if Gophers had gone to Pinstripe last year and thus ineligible this year. Illinois might've been the only team able to go.

OR, the conference would've just broken their agreement and sent Wisconsin anyway.

Maybe that moves us up to the Mayo. But not sure how. I guess if Maryland has to go to Phoenix.
I don't see any way that Wisconsin isn't going to Phoenix. The GR is the lowest of the bowls, and Wisconsin is the worst bowl team in the B1G this year.

I agree that we made our own bed by not getting it done against Illinois and Iowa. NYC at Christmas could be fun, but for SOME of us that live in northern metro areas, a warm location is much more appealing.
FIFY
I’m headed the Bronx and wouldnt be otherwise

What's the difference if we played in the Pinstripe last year or this year? Both teams finished 8-4 and people would have complained just as much last year if we would have taken it.

At this time last year, Coyle and Fleck both likely believed this years team would be better with a new OC and they likely had a good idea of who would be back. They were a few plays away from being right and we wouldn't be having the Pinstripe conversation this year.

We've avoided this bowl for longer than pretty much every other middling B1G program so it is what it is at this point.
We also avoided it longer than Miami, notre dame, and penn state

The thought in my mind is that if we had played the Pinstripe last year, it would have been Maryland's this year.....and the Music City/Mayo/Reliaquest Bowls would have been on the table. With Wisconsin at 6-6....we wouldn't have seen the Guaranteed Rate Bowl at all.

I don't see any way that Wisconsin isn't going to Phoenix. The GR is the lowest of the bowls, and Wisconsin is the worst bowl team in the B1G this year.
Wait a minute, what am I saying?

If we went to the Pinstripe last year, then Maryland would be eligible for it this year and would be a shoe-in to face Syracuse in it this year. So basically just flip-flop places with Maryland, we go to the Mayo vs NC State this year.

Basically, that's all it boils down to. Pinstripe last year or this year. We picked the GR last year, hoping that would be a good deal for our AZ snowbirds, and got put in the Pinstripe this year.

I don't think the Pinstripe and Mayo are really that much different. I wouldn't have gone to either.

Would have tried to go to MC. Maybe next year we can be like this year's Iowa. The schedule will be similar to what they had to face this year.

Pretty much spot on.

It was never going to get "better" than this year, to win the West. They decided to shoot their shot for this year, and we fell a couple plays short against Purdue and Iowa.

The thought in my mind is that if we had played the Pinstripe last year, it would have been Maryland's this year.....and the Music City/Mayo/Reliaquest Bowls would have been on the table. With Wisconsin at 6-6....we wouldn't have seen the Guaranteed Rate Bowl at all.
Correct ... except I don't think MC or Outback are on the table. Think those seem pretty locked into wanting Iowa and Illinois, for whatever reasons.

I think we basically just flip flop with Maryland.

Correct ... except I don't think MC or Outback are on the table. Think those seem pretty locked into wanting Iowa and Illinois, for whatever reasons.

I think we basically just flip flop with Maryland.

And if that's the case....we're playing the #23 NC State Wolfpack. A team we haven't seen in a couple decades.

FIFY
I’m headed the Bronx and wouldnt be otherwise
Thanks! I actually did mean some, so that is perfect. I'd go in a, wait for it..., New York minute if the timing was better. NYC can be fun!

I'm guessing that behind closed door they do. But considering it keeps happening....maybe they need to start asking these questions publically and force the conference to acknowledge it. It puts the program at a disadvantage....which we really don't need more of.
I’d buy that every once in awhile, but it happens every year b

And if that's the case....we're playing the #23 NC State Wolfpack. A team we haven't seen in a couple decades.
Maybe slightly more "neat" for the fans, but at this point I'd rather have the win. NC State, essentially a home game, would be tougher to beat.

We don't know if we'll have everyone for the bowl game. Obviously Dixon is out, which is already a blow.

Maybe slightly more "neat" for the fans, but at this point I'd rather have the win. NC State, essentially a home game, would be tougher to beat.

We don't know if we'll have everyone for the bowl game. Obviously Dixon is out, which is already a blow.

That's where a lot of fans break. Some like me....want the best possible opponent. A chance to make some noise going into the offseason and a shot to be ranked. Others simply prefer a win. I wouldn't be surprised if Fleck is fine with this as it gives us a shot for a ninth win and his fourth straight bowl victory.

PBR is mainly consumed in dive bars in NE Mpls. by a younger crowd, and also in many music venues as the cheap beer of choice. I don't think too many of the "I ain't settin' foot in that hellhole city" people drink PBR.

From Randy Johnson in the Strib today:

teams that beat the Gophers got 'better' bowl games. mind-boggling........

By picking the Gophers (8-4, 5-4 Big Ten), the Pinstripe Bowl, which will be a 1 p.m. Central start on ESPN, met its goal of having eight different Big Ten teams in eight years in its game. The Music City Bowl in Nashville also considered the Gophers but chose Iowa to face Kentucky, while the ReliaQuest Bowl in Tampa, Fla., opted for Illinois. Both the Hawkeyes (7-5) and Fighting Illini (8-4) defeated the Gophers this season.

That's where a lot of fans break. Some like me....want the best possible opponent. A chance to make some noise going into the offseason and a shot to be ranked. Others simply prefer a win. I wouldn't be surprised if Fleck is fine with this as it gives us a shot for a ninth win and his fourth straight bowl victory.
This opponent IMO is better than Kentucky and ok state
Worse than NC State, but better than NC State if none of their QBs play

From Randy Johnson in the Strib today:

teams that beat the Gophers got 'better' bowl games. mind-boggling........

By picking the Gophers (8-4, 5-4 Big Ten), the Pinstripe Bowl, which will be a 1 p.m. Central start on ESPN, met its goal of having eight different Big Ten teams in eight years in its game. The Music City Bowl in Nashville also considered the Gophers but chose Iowa to face Kentucky, while the ReliaQuest Bowl in Tampa, Fla., opted for Illinois. Both the Hawkeyes (7-5) and Fighting Illini (8-4) defeated the Gophers this season.
Lol yup...bang up analysis. And last year, teams with the same record and whom the Gophers defeated -- Purdue and Wisconsin -- got better bowls than Minnesota. So yeah.... The formula seems to be beat em, go to a worse bowl. Lose to em, obviously go to a worse bowl. Once every 8 years or so we'll throw you a bone.

Don't be mad at me because you are frightened to leave the house. Too much political television for you. Gets the crazy thoughts stirred up for the weak of mind.

Hard to say. But maybe Coyle deserves some blame for not knowing the rules with the Pinstripe. Or maybe the conference didn't make this known.
Out of curiosity, how many countries have you been in? How many of the world's greatest cities do you know first hand?

Only a child makes assumptions about a stranger's experiences. At least the ditzy spokesmoron gets paid for being stupid.

Out of curiosity, how many countries have you been in? How many of the world's greatest cities do you know first hand?

Only a child makes assumptions about a stranger's experiences. At least the ditzy spokesmoron gets paid for being stupid.

Didn't know we had Carmen Sandiego posting on the board. We can trim NYC off the list of where to look for you. Too scary.

Lol yup...bang up analysis. And last year, teams with the same record and whom the Gophers defeated -- Purdue and Wisconsin -- got better bowls than Minnesota. So yeah.... The formula seems to be beat em, go to a worse bowl. Lose to em, obviously go to a worse bowl. Once every 8 years or so we'll throw you a bone.

Well we did get to go to the Outback Bowl over Penn State in 2019. :rolleyes: Obviously we were chosen because we were both 10-2 and beat them head to head. They had to settle for the Cotton Bowl. :rolleyes: But to keep things fair....they got to go to the Outback Bowl with a 7-5 overall record and a below .500 Big Ten record last year. They earned it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Top Bottom