OFFICIAL: Minnesota vs Syracuse in Pinstripe Bowl

The Billds will not be traveling for this one as the new knee is still being broken in.

For those that do travel it makes sense to lurk or even register/post at the Syracuse board for gameday advice. They are clearly pros when it comes to this bowl and are offering tips generously among themselves on a number of gameday experiences and topics.

This does bring up a memory from 2014 when the Gophers made it to the Citrus Bowl against Mizzou. Several Badgers came over to GH to offer advice for Orlando as a bowl destination that they knew very well. "AKA TAW" in particular was very helpful.; she was very much a class act and helped the Billds on a number of fronts.

So earlier in the thread, I was pretty much mocking people that think NYC is a crime-infested cesspool, and I stand by some of that - some of it was just me being an ass.

That said... My mom grew up about 40 minutes north of the city - near West Point. When we went to visit my grandparents, before they moved to Florida in retirement, I never visited the city. But that was late 70's, early 80's - the nadir of NYC, when yeah, you didn't want to go there, certainly not with a little kid.

My first visit was in 1989 in high school, when I was in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. I have to think that experience (though playing football would be WAY more fun than marching in a parade) would be similar to what the players will experience. For many years, that was the highlight of many of my classmates' lives. So I get it - the players will have an experience they will remember forever, and maybe we should think about that, as opposed to what we think about the team being screwed - it will be super cool for them.

I've been back several times since, for fun (concerts, sporting events) and for my job. I've literally never felt unsafe in the city, and when I've been for work, it's regularly been to the south Bronx, Spanish Harlem, and a number of neighborhoods with housing projects and that are not exactly considered "safe" or "gentrified." (I work in the food manufacturing industry, and we visited grocery stores in inner city NYC areas).

There are many places I've felt unsafe in the US and in other countries. NYC isn't one of them. It's a one of a kind place, and it will be a one of a kind trip for these players. Let's beat Syracuse.

Sorry if I missed it but looking for pointers in general on other tailgating options, if there are any. I'm wrangling together a group of about a about a half-dozen thirty-something alumni transplants to attend the game and we'll probably eschew the official thing at Billy's unless you can talk me into it.

Wherever you watch and celebrate, hope everyone has a good holidays and enjoys.

someone asked about Mo.

On the last "Pair and a Spare" Podcast, Ryan Burns said that based on what he had heard, Mo was planning to play in the game. Burns said that Fleck - and Mo - are very aware of what Mo has to do to break the single-season and career rushing records.

Burns also said that as of now, he expects Athan to start at QB. He said that Morgan had not been actively participating in practice since his last injury - implying that Morgan has not made much if any progress in going through the protocols.

Down here in South Texas, you can sum up most people's opinion of the Gophers bowl destination by the expression in the Pace Picante Sauce ad...
"New York City???"

Burns also said that as of now, he expects Athan to start at QB. He said that Morgan had not been actively participating in practice since his last injury - implying that Morgan has not made much if any progress in going through the protocols.
I still can't believe that violently punching someone in the head is not a penalty in football. It's even illegal in hockey!

Really ?
These kids (70% black) grow up watching shows and musical artists, etc from places like NY.

You think they care about BFE Nashville or Charlotte?

Weather matters not. Culture and "coolness" matters.
I'm not 100% sure about that. When I was a college kid, if I was getting out of MN I wanted warm weather, bathing suits and drinks served with little umbrellas. Hell, I have two plane tickets I have to use by April. The wife brought up going to NYC....I'm not dropping 2-3 grand to go from eff'ing cold to a little less cold. Looking at the list of activities, this sounds more like a coaches trip than anything.

Maybe already posted but 'Cuse fans lamenting they are down 3 cornerbacks so they'll be down into the remaining backfield pecking order to fill the gaps.

Certainly very reasonable to think coming in that we'll go with "more Mo, more Mo, and still more Mo" for this one however I think one of the OC's strengths is figuring out match-ups when position attrition on the other side is in play.

Just thinking we may see more passing than might be predicted based on the season record. If that's true and the passing game is clicking, we may be able to put the Cuse D in the damned if you do or damned if you don't position for defending the run versus pass. Hopefully Athan can read the coverage and call the plays that exploit weaknesses in the D for any given down, maybe even for some explosive plays.

Heard time and time again it's a numbers game and it's true. Might be a big day for Athan and the receivers as well as Mo for his records.

Down here in South Texas, you can sum up most people's opinion of the Gophers bowl destination by the expression in the Pace Picante Sauce ad...
"New York City???"

You're in South Texas?

Nobody cares.;)

Got an email from the ticket office. Tickets are in your ticketmaster account. Need to click the link for the myYankees account but can use your regular ticketmaster password

My normal ticketmaster account is associated with a different email I use for the Gopher ticket office. Once I made a ticketmaster account with the email associated with Gopher tickets, the tickets were there.

Per ESPN:

Dec. 29​

i
i

Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse Orange vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers
Yankee Stadium (New York, New York) | Tickets

This game is an enigma because neither team has been easy to predict all season. Few schools were as confounding in 2022 as Minnesota, which statistically speaking had one of the nation's top defenses, a solid offense and a top-20 ranking in both ESPN's FPI and SP+. On the field, however, that all added up to just an 8-4 record, and none of those eight wins came against an opponent who finished the regular season better than 6-6. Meanwhile, Syracuse opened the year 6-0 and nearly got a win at No. 7 Clemson before succumbing to the Tigers' backup QB in the fourth quarter. After that, the Orange looked like a shell of a team, dropping five straight before a win over Boston College in the regular-season finale. Syracuse also lost both coordinators since the season ended. So, who exactly will show up here? The Minnesota that the deep-dive stats loved or the one that mustered just 10 points in a loss to Iowa? The Syracuse that started off the season 6-0 or the one that stumbled to the finish and then waved goodbye to two essential assistant coaches? It's anyone's guess. -- David M. Hale

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

It looks like a modest number of Gophers fans will attend the December 29 Pinstripe Bowl in New York City at Yankee Stadium. Reporters will be stationed in the open-air press box. Accuweather.com forecasts a cloudy day with a high of 36 on December 29.

Go Gophers!!

So, as noted in another thread, Tanner Morgan has been invited to the Hula Bowl (another post-season all-star showcase).

this raises some interesting questions.

Did Morgan tell them he was OK to participate?
Is he planning to play?

and - if he's OK to play in the Hula Bowl, does that mean he's OK to play in the Pinstripe Bowl?

worth watching.

So, as noted in another thread, Tanner Morgan has been invited to the Hula Bowl (another post-season all-star showcase).

Is he planning to play?

and - if he's OK to play in the Hula Bowl, does that mean he's OK to play in the Pinstripe Bowl?

worth watching.
Being invited doesn't necessarily mean he is OK to play or will play in the Hula Bowl? Perhaps more of a formality and acknowledging that he would have been?

Maybe already posted but 'Cuse fans lamenting they are down 3 cornerbacks so they'll be down into the remaining backfield pecking order to fill the gaps.

Certainly very reasonable to think coming in that we'll go with "more Mo, more Mo, and still more Mo" for this one however I think one of the OC's strengths is figuring out match-ups when position attrition on the other side is in play.

Just thinking we may see more passing than might be predicted based on the season record. If that's true and the passing game is clicking, we may be able to put the Cuse D in the damned if you do or damned if you don't position for defending the run versus pass. Hopefully Athan can read the coverage and call the plays that exploit weaknesses in the D for any given down, maybe even for some explosive plays.

Heard time and time again it's a numbers game and it's true. Might be a big day for Athan and the receivers as well as Mo for his records.
Good analysis. My guess is we'll see Athan get turned loose. This game may be an easy over on the Over/Under.

Being invited doesn't necessarily mean he is OK to play or will play in the Hula Bowl? Perhaps more of a formality and acknowledging that he would have been?

the official announcement tweet from the Hula Bowl is labeled "player acceptance."
I take that to mean that the invitation was accepted and Morgan is planning to participate.

Syracuse board reporting a $25 deposit on season tickets will get you two free tickets to the Pinstripe...and anyone who already bought tickets through the school can get 2 more for free. I take it sales aren't going so well.

Is he planning to play?

worth watching.
I highly doubt he will play in the Pinstripe. Hula Bowl is almost a month from now. Maybe he plays there, but that's really more of a showcase game.

Not going. Will be a good excuse to spend the NYE holiday with my mom in Cross Lake, surrounded by home cooked food and my full family. Ski U Mah let's end this in style, and play for warmer climes next year.

Weather now looking like partly cloudy and a high of 47. Practically no chance of precip. Great football weather!

One of these days, we're going to get to one of these bowl games, but it's a tough time to get away, at least for us. For everyone there or making the trip, have a great time and represent.

Hats off to all the Gopher fans attending!!!

Disappointed that this bowl won't work for me. It sounds like it would be a great short trip to NYC to cheer on the Gophers!

Be loud and proud for all of us!

There's a few Gopher fans on the tarmac right now going to Newark. For the gentleman right in front of me who had a drink spilled on him by the flightattendant, sorry buddy!

There's a few Gopher fans on the tarmac right now going to Newark. For the gentleman right in front of me who had a drink spilled on him by the flightattendant, sorry buddy!
Sounds like it's starting off great! Spilled drinks already? We're missing the party.

Have fun!

Top Bottom