OFFICIAL: Minnesota vs Syracuse in Pinstripe Bowl

The difference between the Pinstripe, Mayo and Music City is really not all that much. Except that it is in a "cold" location, New York is a far better city than Charlotte or Nashville. There isn't a whole helluva lot in Charlotte and I can't stand country music.
Nashville is a great city to visit. I don't like country either but had a great time at the Music City bowl against Arkansas. Great music that wasn't country, caught a predators game, great food. Temps were fine, but that's hit snd miss.

Here's what I was trying to say:

Gopher fans are very familiar with the program. Some guy who's on a bowl committee in NY, NC or TN may know next to nothing about the Gophers. So they do some research, and what do they see?

Haven't won a conf title since 1967. haven't won a divisional title since the start of divisions. never played in a conference championship game. MN had the one big year in 2019, but has not matched that success in recent years. Don't sell out their home stadium - one of the smaller stadiums in the conference.

to an outside observer, especially from another part of the country, MN is not a top program - not a marquee program.

so MN fans say "we deserve a better bowl game," but from outside the fan bubble, the response to that is "Why?"

if that seems harsh, I'm just trying to present it the way an outsider might look at it.

Reading posts on Gopher Hole, that's pretty much how most Gopher 'fans' seem to view their own team as well.

$800 hotel rooms in a cold version of Beirut to watch 4 hours of football in a baseball stadium. Ahh.....gonna pass.
Wtf are you talking about. I threw in Bronx NY into my Marriott app and thr first result was $339.

I get NYC isn't cheap but there's many Marriott (Sheraton, W, etc,) in the $400 range. It ain't that bad g

You would fit in in NYC.

Yeah....I probably wouldn't hide in my closet and refuse to go outside like some of you guys....terrified of a city that has relatively low crime rates when compared to other cities....like Miami and Jacksonville.

Wtf are you talking about. I threw in Bronx NY into my Marriott app and thr first result was $339.

I get NYC isn't cheap but there's many Marriott (Sheraton, W, etc,) in the $400 range. It ain't that bad g

You can definitely get a room in the 300 to 400 range in the Bronx. I think we might have been thinking of different kind of rooms.

Yeah....I probably wouldn't hide in my closet and refuse to go outside like some of you guys....terrified of a city that has relatively low crime rates when compared to other cities....like Miami and Jacksonville.
You go take a walk in the Bronx at 8:00 pm and see how you like it. Another one all safe and comfy that lives in their safe bubble of a town.

What do you want Coyle to say? He's completely ineffectual?

What do you want Fleck to say? My offensive scheme is as boring as possible?

Coyle, like Maturi has no pull in the B1G. Our offense is as exciting as watching paint dry (unless you're a big fan of the Gophers and the Gophers are ahead).

We still have a reputation for poor travel, deserved or not.

The result of a weak AD and a regressive offensive philosophy is the Coyle Hire bowl. And that's what we got.
Being chosen for the Pinstripe Bowl serves the valuable function of furthering the narrative that Gopher fans don't travel well..

You don’t want to stay in the Bronx. Better off staying a little north in Rockland County And taking train to BX.

I just realized Dinky Palm was right all year. Or is it Rosie Palm?

Crime rates per capita are far lower in NYC than say.....either Miami or Jacksonville. But those are trash cities in a trash state.

Am I doing it right?
Only if you expand the list, say, to include SF, LA, Seattle, Portland, Detroit, Philadelphia and of course, Minneapolis.

My $0.02 - bad team to play because it is from the wrong conference. I don't think beating Syracuse moves the needle in terms of recruiting or national attention. If we lose, it is pretty catastrophic actually given the team/conference. I don't see the Gophers drawing a bunch of Upstate NY recruits tuning in to watch Syracuse - anyone decent has their sights set on PSU, Rutgers, or the other East coast programs - and a loss really makes the B1G (and Minnesota) looks very weak. It is like a guy getting into an MMA sanctioned bout with a girl - you lose even if you win.

I would much prefer the Gophers play against a middling team from the SEC - yes, the chances are higher that we would lose, but the upside is way higher. I think the win vs. Auburn actually changed the conversation about us - if we would have been able to follow up with a decent teams since then I think we would actually have much better respect and recruiting respect in the South. Barring a game vs. the SEC - our next best option would have been vs. a PAC12 team. With USC and UCLA coming here (and rumors of more), I think a bunch of West coast kids are going to be watching the B1G conference much more closely now so this would be a great recruiting opportunity.

So, glad that we have a high probability of a 9 win season - which is actually pretty good result for the year despite the missed opportunity for much more - but we definitely didn't get any favors in the selection committee.

I never said you were still in the closet.

You're free to come out whenever.

You go take a walk in the Bronx at 8:00 pm and see how you like it. Another one all safe and comfy that lives in their safe bubble of a town.

Lots of downtown city streets across the nation that I'd avoid at night. What makes you afraid of the Bronx in particular?

Only if you expand the list, say, to include SF, LA, Seattle, Portland, Detroit, Philadelphia and of course, Minneapolis.

Yup. Crime is worse in population centers (cities) across the nation. More people....more crime. You're starting to figure it out.

Lots of downtown city streets across the nation that I'd avoid at night. What makes you afraid of the Bronx in particular?

Yup. Crime is worse in population centers (cities) across the nation. More people....more crime. You're starting to figure it out.

Haha. I have to admit, half the reason I check out Gopherhole is to get a glimpse at that personality of yours. I realize it's gotta be a bit, but even if it is, it is still worth it. Keep it up.

I’m not afraid of the Bronx. I’m a street smart former New Yorker that knows how to watch his back and not put himself into dangerous situations.

My $0.02 - bad team to play because it is from the wrong conference. I don't think beating Syracuse moves the needle in terms of recruiting or national attention. If we lose, it is pretty catastrophic actually given the team/conference. I don't see the Gophers drawing a bunch of Upstate NY recruits tuning in to watch Syracuse - anyone decent has their sights set on PSU, Rutgers, or the other East coast programs - and a loss really makes the B1G (and Minnesota) looks very weak. It is like a guy getting into an MMA sanctioned bout with a girl - you lose even if you win.

I would much prefer the Gophers play against a middling team from the SEC - yes, the chances are higher that we would lose, but the upside is way higher. I think the win vs. Auburn actually changed the conversation about us - if we would have been able to follow up with a decent teams since then I think we would actually have much better respect and recruiting respect in the South. Barring a game vs. the SEC - our next best option would have been vs. a PAC12 team. With USC and UCLA coming here (and rumors of more), I think a bunch of West coast kids are going to be watching the B1G conference much more closely now so this would be a great recruiting opportunity.

So, glad that we have a high probability of a 9 win season - which is actually pretty good result for the year despite the missed opportunity for much more - but we definitely didn't get any favors in the selection committee.
You use this as a game to showcase AK by letting him throw it 40 times.

Of course, they would never consider that.

But you can get AK more experience, showcase the passing offense for all recruits , etc.

Haha. I have to admit, half the reason I check out Gopherhole is to get a glimpse at that personality of yours. I realize it's gotta be a bit, but even if it is, it is still worth it. Keep it up.
Carl Gerbschmidt like!

I blame this all on Jerry "The Dink" Palm. He single handedly made this happen.

It's too bad B1G doesn't have a deal with the Holiday Bowl anymore.

Hell there used to be TWO bowl games in San Diego at one point I thought.

Really places like that should have like ... 4 bowl games. Great weather, lots to do.

You don’t want to stay in the Bronx. Better off staying a little north in Rockland County And taking train to BX.
You can definitely get a room in the 300 to 400 range in the Bronx. I think we might have been thinking of different kind of rooms.
I was making a point. I can find Marriott properties in battery park, Hudson yards etc (W, 4 points, moxy, court yard) for 400....Renaissance in chelsea for 500. This is literally 2 minutes of research. I'm sure I could plan a bad ass trip easily. Yeah...if you want the Ritz over new years or a times Square suite, it's gonna be expensive. NYC isn't that bad if you actually do your research and plan.

Honestly I hope this game is completely empty and the stadium has many seat unsold. Teach the B1G that nobody wants to be in NYC
Doesn't matter. Low to mid level bowls are cheap holiday week content for ESPN and they get good ratings. Plus unlike some locations, bowl game travel is but a blip on the economy of NYC.

I’m not afraid of the Bronx. I’m a street smart former New Yorker that knows how to watch his back and not put himself into dangerous situations.
Should we prep by going to the mean streets of International Falls?

Top Bottom