***OFFICIAL ILLINOIS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I think its a combination of, the routes that are being called take too much time to develop.

we dont need 20 yard passed, do 5-10 yard routes.
Also Morgans confidence is clearly shook right now, this is what can happen when you shut down your passing game all year anytime when there are a couple drops
PJ has recruited a talented offense and defense this year, sadly he needs to get rid of this silly idea of loyalty and put in someone else at QB if even for a few drive and tell Simon to call fhe plays
Yup you need to pass plays throughout the season to foster confidence. Right now TM is shell of himself from 2018 and 19 seasons. He doesn't have two NFL WRs anymore. But CRB,MBS and Wright are more than capable to beat Illini secondary. It is on PJ and Sanford.

Sad truth, if he had another QB that was any good he’d be in there already.

The only good thing I can say about that half is that we are very fortunate (thanks to three consecutive stops by the defense) to be down only 14-0.

Why do you keep saying this? Not running a jumbo back into a defense stacked against the run has nothing to do with why the Gophers are losing this game.
He’s making a joke. No way you run a former LB and emergency RB

Or you try Annexstad
yes. this looks the same as the BGSU disaster, where Morgan is atrocious the entire day. There is little hope for a win today if Fleck continues with Morgan. Make the change or lose.

I know GHers want Annexstad to come in and save the day because of his passing ability, but a QB like Kramer CAN run the offense and be a run, run option, and passing guy, if allowed to run the playbook.

Yup you need to pass plays throughout the season to foster confidence. Right now TM is shell of himself from 2018 and 19 seasons. He doesn't have two NFL WRs anymore. But CRB,MBS and Wright are more than capable to beat Illini secondary. It is on PJ and Sanford.
Agree. They have the talent, just not the support needed to teach and improve. I admit I know next to nothing about the rogram and the inner goings on, but I can't get past blaming Sanford for this. I hope he can change his best, but I think writing is on the wall.

This looks like an offense that doesn't trust it's QB.

Tanner 6 for 12 for 65 yards.
Also, has time on some downs, but leaving the pocket feeling more pressure than there is.

Ah how I think fondly of the RPO slant days.
I am just confused why Sanford thinks RPO slants are not worthwhile to deploy. It was very good and effective for TM. Just aggravating to see that RPO schemes and their elements are completely tossed out.

Why can’t we get him involved. Against Ohio State we ran the slant nicely (almost like 2019) we seemed to have completely went away from that. I’m also a big Notre Dame fan so I know Sanford well from his days there. What the hell happened to him lol……… need a big 2nd half guys. C’mon little baby Gophs!

I know we're all looking to the Smith ---> Rossi example, but i wonder how often firing a coordinator mid-season *actually* results in improved on field performance and not chaos.
How often does it make things worse?

He doesn't have two NFL WRs anymore
That’s it, in a nutshell… and if you don’t believe me, go back and watch some of those. The amazing catches the receivers made were astounding.

Offensive line is not good today. Morgan is taking too long to long to throw the ball but the receivers aren’t really getting open either.

I blame Sanford way more than Morgan. Run some shorter easier pass plays once in a while.

For people that have been watching this closer, what is going on with routes and the receivers in terms of solutions for second half. Is this all Morgan not making the right reads?

At least part of the problem seems to be that MN responded to IL's defense by adding more protection. So often there are often only two receiver routes and a delayed release by the back, and they've been covered long enough for Illinois to get pressure.

Morgan has regressed, this isn't just losing two NFL caliber receivers. He is just not as good

Wright is rarely on the field. To the point in 4 wide sets, Spann-Ford is wide, Wright on the sidelines. I don't get it

Put in the new contract. Any time favored by 10 or more and lose, forfeit 50,000 (we gotta start covering!)

I know GHers want Annexstad to come in and save the day because of his passing ability, but a QB like Kramer CAN run the offense and be a run, run option, and passing guy, if allowed to run the playbook.

Personally I don't have much faith in Annexstad at all. Annexstad was less mobile than Morgan when he was the starter and he was an erratic passer. I have no reason to think that Kramer can't pass better than Morgan has in this game at least.

Morgan is standing in clean pockets all day today. Imagining pressure and creating it. Be patient, you can’t tell me those receivers aren’t getting open

I"m not so sure the defense will be fine. I hope you are right. It looked like Illinois wanted to just run the clock out their last two drives. They were pinned back and just looked to run clock. They never looked to pass and the pass has been wide open.

We shall soon see.

Top Bottom