*** OFFICIAL GOPHERS/NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD ***

I knew this would come. No one wants us to fling it around. We want smart pass action plays that at least get us in good FG range at worst. We completed the one pass we attempted. The rest of it was not smart coaching.

Play action pass for a 2-minute drill? Ok, but that doesn't change the fact that the defense is playing the pass and is much more likely to make a big play against any pass, play action or otherwise.

The Gophers fans at the game seem as loud as the NW fans.

Seriously, why in the hell is Marcus Jones still returning punts???

Coaching 101, people. You're on the road against a good team who is playing terribly. You actually don't want to take advantage of the other team's mistakes, because if you take the lead your team might let down and then get crushed. Your goal in this situation should always be to keep the game within 28 points by the start of the 4th quarter. That way, you have a chance that you can pull out a miracle victory in the final 15 minutes, all that requires is a couple of blocked punts and fumble recoveries returned for TDs and, voila, victory. If that doesn't work, you can tell the press that the kids played hard, that they kept it close against a good team, and that you just don't have the players yet to compete - wait till next year when everything comes together.

I'm officially on the "I don't care who the QB is as long as we go with the hot hand" bandwagon for this season. We have talent and scheme deficiencies that far exceed any issues we have with our signal caller.

Play action pass for a 2-minute drill? Ok, but that doesn't change the fact that the defense is playing the pass and is much more likely to make a big play against any pass, play action or otherwise.

Every team that has ever run the two minute drill has these type of plays in mind...except us it seems.

They don't even trust Leidner to throw on 3rd down. Why play him?

Put Nelson in, put him under center and run it! Thats what worked in he first half, why have we changed things!!??? Get out of the shotgun, and run it. Our running game completely opened up then. Why change??!!

Every team that has ever run the two minute drill has these type of plays in mind...except us it seems.

I can't say that I've ever seen a team run a play action in a 2-minute drill. The play action is usually used to be misdirect on obvious run plays. I'm not sure it is going to be effective against a defense playing the pass.

Let's leave Nelson in and see what happens. He was the starter for a reason.

Random, but Campion is way too fat. He needs to lose about 25 and get his feet moving.

Top Bottom