*** OFFICIAL GOPHERS/NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD ***

I like Fitz, but we needed this more than them... finally on the road win!

I think Leidner is a bit better than Nelson, but not by much... So play both, and go with the hot one.

Life make sense again. On to Hawkwind tonight at the Turf club. Great day.

Great game, Phil Nelson, Cobb, and solid game from the O-line for the first time this season. And great game defense!

Not the best-coached or best-reffed game I ever saw, but time to smile!

I think Leidner is a bit better than Nelson, but not by much... So play both, and go with the hot one.

How can you say that? Leidner doesn't do anything better than Nelson - not even run. Nelson is faster when healthy, and a much better passer.

How can you say that? Leidner doesn't do anything better than Nelson - not even run. Nelson is faster when healthy, and a much better passer.

I disagree about the running part. I think Leidner is a better runner overall. Neither are top flight guys, so I'm cool with the hot hand mentality.

Very surprisingly, the Gophers

What? The thing I've been most impressed with about this staff is the halftime adjustments.

It's not a surprise at all. Especially on defense, for the past 2 1/2 years they have made great adjustments.

Congrats team and Coach Claeys on your first head coaching B10 victory, fans and Coach Kill are proud of you today!!

All you naysayers, you can relax a little bit before the next five games. Thanks to a gift from the football gods of injuries. Coach Kill being there at half-time has to be awe inspiring. This is another notch on the victory column , and good for recruiting. Don't give up on the Killer yet. It is entirely possible to upset a couple of the remaining teams. Stay tune, and stay positive.

First 10 pages of this thread are filled with our players suck, our coaches suck, our clock managements sucks...blah, blah, blah. Guess what, those same players and coaches just won a big game on the road. All you wanna be head coaches go suck it!

All you naysayers, you can relax a little bit before the next five games. Thanks to a gift from the football gods of injuries. Coach Kill being there at half-time has to be awe inspiring. This is another notch on the victory column , and good for recruiting. Don't give up on the Killer yet. It is entirely possible to upset a couple of the remaining teams. Stay tune, and stay positive.

+1

What? The thing I've been most impressed with about this staff is the halftime adjustments.

It's not a surprise at all. Especially on defense, for the past 2 1/2 years they have made great adjustments.

I will grant you that, Claeys has made some pretty decent 2nd-half adjustments over the past few years (today, stuck with a defensive gameplan that was working); but, I guess I was referring more to Limegrover finally opening up the playbook in the second half, with pretty good results. If not for a horrific TD reversal by the ref(s), some very slight misses on open throws and some misses on catchable balls, the offense would have put up 20+ in the 2nd half.

First 10 pages of this thread are filled with our players suck, our coaches suck, our clock managements sucks...blah, blah, blah. Guess what, those same players and coaches just won a big game on the road. All you wanna be head coaches go suck it!

Sorry dude, it's a nice win, but the Gophers players outmanned NW's downtrodden team all game, and deserved the win, a win that arguably should have been by a margin much larger than 3 points. Defensive gameplan was solid and well-executed. Offensive ineptitude, primarily a ridiculously conservative gameplan in the first half and to open up the second half, kept NW in this game when they might otherwise have been blown out.

I completely stick with what I've said all year long. The Gophers' offense will cost them a lot of winnable B1G games if Kill/Limegrover et al. actually believe that this team is capable of just strapping on the pads and out-muscling B1G opponents. They will continue to be an underdog the rest of the season, and what we saw in the last ~23 minutes today and what we saw against Purdue and Texas Tech last year are obvious templates for what the Gophers' offense should be coached toward, each and every game. That on only 1 - ONE - drive in the first half the coaching staff opened up the playbook and the team scored easily - is not cause for zero criticism, it's cause for further criticism - where has that gameplan been all year, and why isn't it used as the base philosophy?

The question is, will the coaching staff learn from today's limited offensive success and ultimate failure on the regular base offense the remainder of the season, or will they decide to progress forward with the necessary changes? That's the main question we all must have at this point.

Sorry dude, it's a nice win, but the Gophers players outmanned NW's downtrodden team all game, and deserved the win, a win that arguably should have been by a margin much larger than 3 points. Defensive gameplan was solid and well-executed. Offensive ineptitude, primarily a ridiculously conservative gameplan in the first half and to open up the second half, kept NW in this game when they might otherwise have been

I completely stick with what I've said all year long. The Gophers' offense will cost them a lot of winnable B1G games if Kill/Limegrover et al. actually believe that this team is capable of just strapping on the pads and out-muscling B1G opponents. They will continue to be an underdog the rest of the season, and what we saw in the last ~23 minutes today and what we saw against Purdue and Texas Tech last year are obvious templates for what the Gophers' offense should be coached toward, each and every game. That on only 1 - ONE - drive in the first half the coaching staff opened up the playbook and the team scored easily - is not cause for zero criticism, it's cause for further criticism - where has that gameplan been all year, and why isn't it used as the base philosophy?

The question is, will the coaching staff learn from today's limited offensive success and ultimate failure on the regular base offense the remainder of the season, or will they decide to progress forward with the necessary changes? That's the main question we all must have at this point.
We must get more balance and get the Qb's some throws to get a rhythm we have some nice weapons in. Engel, Williams and Maye ( bubble screens ) why don't we use it !! Need to throw and loosen up the D.

We must get more balance and get the Qb's some throws to get a rhythm we have some nice weapons in. Engel, Williams and Maye ( bubble screens ) why don't we use it !! Need to throw and loosen up the D.

There is a time and place for everything. But you, an expert, knows that one single play call will automatically win the game.

We won at Northwestern because of the coaches, not in spite of the coaches.

Top Bottom