Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Rashaud Pernell
Looks like another defensive end target is announcing today. Glad to see us continuing to focus on the trenches

Trying to get back to 2022 recruiting news. Hopefully it starts to heat up a bit more again

I'm talking football. Basketball is a different beast, particularly with shoe companies pushing money to recruits to get leverage on them early so that if they turn into a start they can sign shoe deals with them.

That doesn't exist, nearly as much or at all, in football.
That may be true

Wonder why his 247 page is so flimsy. No picture, no banner showing his announcement date/time.

Do recruits have to pay 247 to get a better page?

No.
Could be a delay in updating 2022 pages since there weren’t camps this summer. Lots of those pictures come from stuff like that.

Wonder why his 247 page is so flimsy. No picture, no banner showing his announcement date/time.

Do recruits have to pay 247 to get a better page?
It looks like Virginia pushed back it’s football season and will attempt to start the season in February.
Therefore he hasn’t had any meaningful football since his sophomore season due to shutdowns.

One school is not like the others.
The others:
- FCS school that is HBCU (respect!)
- up-jumped FCS school, with FCS sized stadium, that thinks they're hot stuff because they got ranked this year playing nobody Sun Belt teams
- up-jumped FCS school, with FCS sized stadium, of kids who take Jebus way too seriously (you will not get laid there)
- tiny ACC private school (smallest P5?), historically elitist whites, mostly known for some bball success, very limited in football success
- ACC public school mostly known for being a "public Ivy", also historically elitist whites, great bball success, crap football (east coast Arizona)
- ACC public school mostly known for being great at football 20 years ago, then good at football through 10 years ago

The others:
- up-jumped FCS school, with FCS sized stadium, that thinks they're hot stuff because they got ranked this year playing nobody Sun Belt teams
- up-jumped FCS school, with FCS sized stadium, of kids who take Jebus way too seriously (you will not get laid there)
- tiny ACC private school (smallest P5?), historically elitist whites, mostly known for some bball success, very limited in football success
- ACC public school mostly known for being a "public Ivy", also historically elitist whites, great bball success, crap football (east coast Arizona)
- ACC public school mostly known for being great at football 20 years ago, then good at football through 10 years ago

The others:
(you will not get laid there)
You must not have run into the same private school ladies I did as a younger man.

The others:
I will disagree with the not getting laid part, especially considering Jerry Falwell was watching his wife and a student get it on lmao

Is the 2022 class slammed by COVID? The NCAA has said everyone playing this year gets an extra year of eligibility. Teams can still bring in 25 players so to allow for current players to stay and new ones to be recruited the scholy cap is going to be increased for a single year by 25 to 110 (I think I've got that right....). At least as of now, for the following year that cap returns back to the 85 limit. If I've got all this right, that means there will be very few slots for 2022 cruits. Note that simply increasing the limit to 110 for additional years isn't a great option as many athletic departments are financially in a world of hurt -- adding the cost of 25 additional scholarships will add to their financial issues.

I will disagree with the not getting laid part, especially considering Jerry Falwell was watching his wife and a student get it on lmao
Hey, hey, hey! Let's not slander that fine couple. She was having sex with the pool boy.

I haven't seen it reported anywhere that the NCAA is allowing the overall cap to go from 85 all the way up to 110, even if only for a single year.

I think some people are assuming that some increase will be allowed.

As I understand it, to accommodate the players who get an extra year of eligibility, the way it works is that each school has to decide how many scholarships they are willing to fund for next year.

the players have the right to return, but it's up to each school to decide how many scholarships they can pay for. so School A for financial reasons might decide to self-impose a cap of 85 scholarships, while school B with deep pockets has 100 players on Scholarship.

I know Fleck was quoted as saying the Gophers would have more than 85, but he did not give an exact number.

As I understand it, to accommodate the players who get an extra year of eligibility, the way it works is that each school has to decide how many scholarships they are willing to fund for next year.

the players have the right to return, but it's up to each school to decide how many scholarships they can pay for. so School A for financial reasons might decide to self-impose a cap of 85 scholarships, while school B with deep pockets has 100 players on Scholarship.

I know Fleck was quoted as saying the Gophers would have more than 85, but he did not give an exact number.
Yep, as I posted earlier, that's my understanding, but it's only a one-year exemption to the rule. If that sticks, 2022 cruits are going to have a hard time finding slots.

Yep, as I posted earlier, that's my understanding, but it's only a one-year exemption to the rule. If that sticks, 2022 cruits are going to have a hard time finding slots.

So will some of those to enter the Transfer Portal. Athletic budgets around the country will be anemic due to the pandemic.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but wouldn't the one year eligibility exemption in theory affect at least 5 recruiting classes thereafter? If each current class gets a free year, that means potentially every player in the system would be around for an additional year. Meaning until you cycle through the current FR class, you'll have 85+ scholarship players on the team.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but wouldn't the one year eligibility exemption in theory affect at least 5 recruiting classes thereafter? If each current class gets a free year, that means potentially every player in the system would be around for an additional year. Meaning until you cycle through the current FR class, you'll have 85+ scholarship players on the team.

I haven't read the guidance so I'll let others who have respond but that's what I would have thought made the most sense too. But knowing the NCAA I'm sure they fucked it up.

That's exactly my point on what I posted. Right now there's only a one-year exemption to the 85 limit, so in 2022 there will be very few open slots. The 2022 'cruits are the ones that get slammed by COVID.

It'll be messy, no matter what they do.

One idea I've proposed is that any player who graduates with an undergrad degree is allowed to not count towards any roster limit or scholarship limits, for the rest of their eligibility (however long that may be, including if it gets extended due to hardship).

Then you can, for example in football, maintain the 85 scholarship headcount limit, and I believe 105 roster limit (? might expand once school starts), while having some number of "grad student-athletes" that don't count and can be on scholarship if the school chooses to fund them.

Unless the NCAA makes more changes, yeah the choices will have knock on effects.

Of course eventually they have to get back to normal so ... it's gonna happen sometime.

So will some of those to enter the Transfer Portal. Athletic budgets around the country will be anemic due to the pandemic.
There are well over 1,000 names in the football transfer portal (I couldn't find the exact number). Many of them will not find a new home, as coaches won't want to fill up valuable roster spots with marginal players. And many players will find they can't return to their original teams because schools aren't required to continue scholarship benefits once a player enters his name into the portal.

Players need to be careful not to overplay their hand. Unless you're confident of a soft landing spot, taking advantage of your existing scholarship and the security it provides is not a bad option.

There are well over 1,000 names in the football transfer portal (I couldn't find the exact number). Many of them will not find a new home, as coaches won't want to fill up valuable roster spots with marginal players. And many players will find they can't return to their original teams because schools aren't required to continue scholarship benefits once a player enters his name into the portal.

Players need to be careful not to overplay their hand. Unless you're confident of a soft landing spot, taking advantage of your existing scholarship and the security it provides is not a bad option.
Well, I would say that P5 transfers, unless you're from Alabama or the very top, shouldn't necessarily expect to find other P5 landing spots.

I would thinking working downwards would give you a better chance.

A guy like Hickcox, maybe he could land at a MAC school and earn playing time? Or even a Missouri Valley school? Just guessing.

I think folks sometimes misunderstand too though.

A LOT of transfer portal players don't find other teams, EVERY year.

Granted more risk now but a lot of these guys are out anyhow, much of the time.

Top Bottom