Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

so, if the Gophers don't land a recruit, it's because the other team cheated? I don't buy that.

are there teams that offer stuff under the table? A few, maybe. but in today's age of social media, it would be an incredible risk. If just one player blew the whistle, the resulting sanctions could cost a top 20 program millions of dollars. is it worth it to risk all that just to get one more player - when most big-time programs are landing multiple players of that category or close?

if a team is cheating, they are trusting their future on the notion that a 17-or 18-year kid - and/or their helicopter parents - will not blow the whistle if things go sour. again, that's a h*ll of a risk.

Man that's just what a bagman would say .....

/s

so, if the Gophers don't land a recruit, it's because the other team cheated? I don't buy that.

are there teams that offer stuff under the table? A few, maybe. but in today's age of social media, it would be an incredible risk. If just one player blew the whistle, the resulting sanctions could cost a top 20 program millions of dollars. is it worth it to risk all that just to get one more player - when most big-time programs are landing multiple players of that category or close?

if a team is cheating, they are trusting their future on the notion that a 17-or 18-year kid - and/or their helicopter parents - will not blow the whistle if things go sour. again, that's a h*ll of a risk.
If a kid or family accepts gifts over a certain amount and doesn’t disclose them, it’s tax fraud

We like 'em big in the North and there's a huge need for him. If Bear commits here he can walk right into legendary level 'big man on campus' status.

Man that's just what a bagman would say .....

/s
There have always been cheaters but not that many prospects qualify for bags and many of them have parents that would never allow it. The vast majority of coaches do not cheat. A cynic says they all do and that throws the ones that do not into a dirty pool.

If North Carolina is able to create classes to give athletes "A's" and the NCAA will do nothing, you better believe there is money being handed out by people. They may be handing in out in ways that are considered legal - consulting jobs, employment, etc. Either way if someone wants to work their way around the rules the NCAA has shown it is willing to ignore it.

Back to 2022 Gopher recruiting - Accenting a transformative culture, networking with multiple Fortune 500 companies and demonstrating the way this state treats its start athletes is better than any short term payout.

If North Carolina is able to create classes to give athletes "A's" and the NCAA will do nothing, you better believe there is money being handed out by people. They may be handing in out in ways that are considered legal - consulting jobs, employment, etc. Either way if someone wants to work their way around the rules the NCAA has shown it is willing to ignore it.

Back to 2022 Gopher recruiting - Accenting a transformative culture, networking with multiple Fortune 500 companies and demonstrating the way this state treats its start athletes is better than any short term payout.
North Carolina had non athletes taking those classes as well.
North Carolina seems to be using fake classes to get athletes through as well as to juice numbers of certain group a’ GPAs and graduation rates.

North Carolina has really hurt their credibility in more than just athletics ImO

There have always been cheaters but not that many prospects qualify for bags and many of them have parents that would never allow it. The vast majority of coaches do not cheat. A cynic says they all do and that throws the ones that do not into a dirty pool.

You have been tagged as "Bagman apologist", "Bagman assistant", "Aspiring Bagman!"

/s

hungan, I like your optimism!!!

Where should we bring our bagman to meet a family contact from the South - at an ice fishing house? 😉
If a kid or family accepts gifts over a certain amount and doesn’t disclose them, it’s tax fraud

I doubt that we'll ever see this type of cheating under PJ Fleck and Gopher Football. It is not improbable that they will lose recruits from the South due to clandestine bagmen.

Will we see this kind of bagmen in the cold tundra? I think you are more likely to see boogie men in ice fishing houses. The football culture in the Deep South may bring this type of cheating more so than in Norse Land.

A good case is the rivalry between Ole Miss and Mississippi State (MSU). Interestingly, both schools have new coaches almost at the same time: Lane Kiffen at Ole Miss, and Mike Leach at MSU. Will there be a bagmen redux?

Last edited:

I doubt that we'll ever see this type of cheating under PJ Fleck and Gopher Football.

Maybe not, but it has nothing to do with the head coach. It's entirely done autonomously by fans with money, who have a burning desire to give it to recruits, completely of their own accord, for no recognition.

The coach doesn't have to do a thing. He is completely shielded. Can sit back and deny it all.

I doubt that we'll ever see this type of cheating under PJ Fleck and Gopher Football.

Maybe not, but it has nothing to do with the head coach. It's entirely done autonomously by fans with money, who have a burning desire to give it to recruits, completely of their own accord, for no recognition.

The coach doesn't have to do a thing. He is completely shielded. Can sit back and deny it all.
Well luckily for PJ he's coaching the gophers...How are we as fans going to pay players when we're spending all our time whining about people standing at games and wanting our coach fired after every loss? I know I sure don't have time to transfer funds.

Where should we bring our bagman to meet a family contact from the South - at an ice fishing house? 😉

I doubt that we'll ever see this type of cheating under PJ Fleck and Gopher Football. It is not improbable that they will lose recruits from the South due to clandestine bagmen.

Will we see this kind of bagmen in the cold tundra? I think you are more likely to see boogie men in ice fishing houses. The football culture in the Deep South may bring this type of cheating more so than in Norse Land.

A good case is the rivalry between Ole Miss and Mississippi State (MSU). Interestingly, both schools have new coaches almost at the same time: Lane Kiffen at Ole Miss, and Mike Leach at MSU. Will there be a bagmen redux?

We know there are people that do it but there are many who do not, even mega successful ones like Alabama. Recruits are dying to go there. They win and are a NFL producing factory.

For most kids, playing college football is a dream come true. They reached a maturity level and they developed physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Unfortunately for some very talented high end players, it is a race to immaturity. They want to spend the shortest mandatory time in college, and go high hog doing what they do selfishly.

Haskins is the new poster boy for such immaturity. The team decided it is not worth the financial risk and bad PR to keep a player like him around whose reckless abandon hurt the team. He was not living up to expectations as a leader.

I hope he learns a lesson in time to bounce back career wise.

Last edited:

We know there are people that do it but there are many who do not, even mega successful ones like Alabama. Recruits are dying to go there. They win and are a NFL producing factory.
Again, it has nothing to do with the program or the coach.

Motivated fans who have a few tens of thousands of extra dollars burning a hole in their pockets, just decide to do it. There is a network of organization that they tap into, with burner phones and the whole bit.

It doesn't matter how "clean" the coach wants to be, he has no say in it. And necessarily, must keep any such activity at arm's length, no matter what.

You are so hopelessly clueless, on this.

Again, it has nothing to do with the program or the coach.

Motivated fans who have a few tens of thousands of extra dollars burning a hole in their pockets, just decide to do it. There is a network of organization that they tap into, with burner phones and the whole bit.

It doesn't matter how "clean" the coach wants to be, he has no say in it. And necessarily, must keep any such activity at arm's length, no matter what.

You are so hopelessly clueless, on this.
I think we have seen from past incidents that coaches are almost always involved. I have a best friend who works in the SEC for a basketball program. Coaches are involved.

I think we have seen from past incidents that coaches are almost always involved. I have a best friend who works in the SEC for a basketball program. Coaches are involved.
I'm talking football. Basketball is a different beast, particularly with shoe companies pushing money to recruits to get leverage on them early so that if they turn into a start they can sign shoe deals with them.

That doesn't exist, nearly as much or at all, in football.

this simply isn’t true. Plenty of coaches have been caught paying players, including head coaches. One prominent basketball coach is recorded saying it. Acting like boosters roll up to a families house and drops of $75k in cash is very much a movie scenario

It was tilted too much towards the family!

this simply isn’t true. Plenty of coaches have been caught paying players, including head coaches. One prominent basketball coach is recorded saying it. Acting like boosters roll up to a families house and drops of $75k in cash is very much a movie scenario
Basketball. See post #168.

Football players have been paid. We know that, of course. Cam Newton at Auburn, for example.

What are some examples off the top of your head of football coaches getting caught funneling impermissible benefits to players, at high profile programs?

North Carolina had non athletes taking those classes as well.
North Carolina seems to be using fake classes to get athletes through as well as to juice numbers of certain group a’ GPAs and graduation rates.

North Carolina has really hurt their credibility in more than just athletics ImO
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Roy cares deeply.......

I was under the impression this thread was about 2022 Gopher football recruiting.

You thought message board threads always stayed on topic? This was surprising to me in 1994.

'Sorry for going on a tangent OT.

Top Bottom