Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

I thought maybe we would be the odd man out but ... that's a weird mix of top 5....

It's his call of course, just not the combo of teams you usually see.
Just like we always have the kids who want to go somewhere else for college maybe Florida will too. Maybe he isn't a fan of the heat and humidity.

Just like we always have the kids who want to go somewhere else for college maybe Florida will too. Maybe he isn't a fan of the heat and humidity.
Humidity is a big deal. I hate it.

Watching the Citrus Bowl the commentators noted that one of the teams struggled with the humidity.

Although ... thaat team was Auburn ..... and they were playing Northwestern...

247 only list 3 MN kids for 2022 at this time. King announced that he will focus on basketball, so that leaves two kids.

Hayer a 4* from Hill-Murray and Chase Carter from Minnehaha, a 3* DE. Is it expected to be a down year?

I see that Iowa State offered a OL from Shakopee this week and MN had a ton of offers go out yesterday.

247 only list 3 MN kids for 2022 at this time. King announced that he will focus on basketball, so that leaves two kids.

Hayer a 4* from Hill-Murray and Chase Carter from Minnehaha, a 3* DE. Is it expected to be a down year?

I see that Iowa State offered a OL from Shakopee this week and MN had a ton of offers go out yesterday.
If you're going to use 247's service, why not just focus on their own ratings? Why do people prefer the composite?

And so, if you switch to 247's ratings, you see they have 8 other MN players (than King) at 3*/83 or higher: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=MN

OT from Marshall is 100% to Gophers (based on Trieu ball from August). Rest don't have predictions yet.

If you're going to use 247's service, why not just focus on their own ratings? Why do people prefer the composite?

And so, if you switch to 247's ratings, you see they have 8 other MN players (than King) at 3*/83 or higher: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=MN

OT from Marshall is 100% to Gophers (based on Trieu ball from August). Rest don't have predictions yet.
Thanks for that. I was wondering why their were so few. MN's top two are going to play basketball most likely.

Thanks for that. I was wondering why their were so few. MN's top two are going to play basketball most likely.
Fair enough, probably why Holloman isn't on the composite list.

Some of the others, I wonder if most people simply don't know about them. Mankato, Marshall, Alexandria ... small towns out in the middle of nowhere frozen Minnesota "might as well be Canada".

Fair enough, probably why Holloman isn't on the composite list.

Some of the others, I wonder if most people simply don't know about them. Mankato, Marshall, Alexandria ... small towns out in the middle of nowhere frozen Minnesota "might as well be Canada".
Camp season will raise these kids up.

From the article:

Since my junior season ended, the biggest thing I've been working on right now has been my footwork and building as much strength as I can. I am playing going to switch back to guard this year from tackle, which I feel is my true position. I think I am more dominant in the the run game than passing. I know at the next level I’ll get opportunities to play everywhere though."

Only thing I would say is: if Marshall High School's team needs him at tackle ... then that is a bit selfish? I don't know what kind of offense they run. Some schools like to have their biggest guys at guard. But usually the big boys you see more often at tackle, unless things have drastically changed?

Isn't @short ornery norwegian from down in that area?

From the article:

Since my junior season ended, the biggest thing I've been working on right now has been my footwork and building as much strength as I can. I am playing going to switch back to guard this year from tackle, which I feel is my true position. I think I am more dominant in the the run game than passing. I know at the next level I’ll get opportunities to play everywhere though."

Only thing I would say is: if Marshall High School's team needs him at tackle ... then that is a bit selfish? I don't know what kind of offense they run. Some schools like to have their biggest guys at guard. But usually the big boys you see more often at tackle, unless things have drastically changed?

Have best HS OL at Tackle as they collapse the edge and teams can then get wide.

From the article:

What on earth makes you think he just got to dictate to the coach that he will be switching to guard despite the team needing him at OT?

Might be a bit down as far as four star plus guys, but seems like decent depth of P5 talent is still available.

Minnesota high school football has been historically bad for the last 2-3 years IMO and it will continue next year.

still a few really good guys but the second tier talent isn’t what it was 5-10 years ago.

I could be just turning into an old man.
I personally don’t think STMA, Rosemount, Lakeville South, Eden Prairie etc of 2020 are top 10 teams in any one season 2007-2018

What on earth makes you think he just got to dictate to the coach that he will be switching to guard despite the team needing him at OT?
I have no idea what the situation was/is. Just wondering aloud, if anyone has any thoughts to share.

I personally don’t think STMA, Rosemount, Lakeville South, Eden Prairie etc of 2020 are top 10 teams in any one season 2007-2018

Can't speak to all the years in question but I spend some time around Rosemount football and their 2020 team was very light on star power yet it felt like they could hang with pretty much any team in the State. So I agree with the premiss that Minnesota High School football is not being played at a very high level right now.

Most Minnesota teams would get crushed if they had to go up against teams from any of the football hot beds around the country.

Can't speak to all the years in question but I spend some time around Rosemount football and their 2020 team was very light on star power yet it felt like they could hang with pretty much any team in the State. So I agree with the premiss that Minnesota High School football is not being played at a very high level right now.

Most Minnesota teams would get crushed if they had to go up against teams from any of the football hot beds around the country.
If there was a state tourney this year Rosemount would’ve had a great shot to win it...but I personally don’t think this was a top 5 Rosemount team of the past 10 years

But he also had Miami and Florida State in his top five.

I personally don’t think this was a top 5 Rosemount team of the past 10 years
Even though you could still be right anyway ... who has Rosemount had come out of there to P5 in the last 10 years? Obviously Mann to Gophers, off the top of my head, and the LB who was a guaranteed done deal to Gopher hockey until suddenly he was carpet bagging over to Madison.

I think there is talent. EP has come back to the crowd and urban sprawl has created some new good programs. Players are no longer coming from 1-4 programs, but found all over the state.

Even though you could still be right anyway ... who has Rosemount had come out of there to P5 in the last 10 years? Obviously Mann to Gophers, off the top of my head, and the LB who was a guaranteed done deal to Gopher hockey until suddenly he was carpet bagging over to Madison.

Joe Bjorkland, OL at the U
Jacob Smith, OL at BYU
Jackson Erdmann walked on at Penn State but transferred to St. John's where he won the Gagliardi trophy.

Zach Vraa rewrote the record books as a WR at NDSU. Not P5 obviously, but I think the Gophers could have easily found a spot for him. Rosemount has held it's own through the years at turning out good football players.

But to the larger point, my understanding is that the roster numbers are down at Rosemount, as they are at other schools as well. That has to have an impact on the overall talent level of the team.

Minnesota high school football has been historically bad for the last 2-3 years IMO and it will continue next year.

still a few really good guys but the second tier talent isn’t what it was 5-10 years ago.

I don’t recall these consistently great classes 5-10 years ago, or any other time.

I don’t recall these consistently great classes 5-10 years ago, or any other time.
I’m not talking about “great recruiting classes” I’m talking about the quality of Minnesota high school football.
What makes high school football good is having depth of talent...I’m not really even talking about d1 necessarily.

I’m not talking about “great recruiting classes” I’m talking about the quality of Minnesota high school football.
What makes high school football good is having depth of talent...I’m not really even talking about d1 necessarily.
I’m not talking about recruiting classes either. I don’t see much difference between the depth of talent this year compared to some of the classes 5-10 years ago. Maybe the depth of quality teams is worse, but I don’t follow that very close.

Joe Bjorkland, OL at the U
Jacob Smith, OL at BYU
Jackson Erdmann walked on at Penn State but transferred to St. John's where he won the Gagliardi trophy.

Zach Vraa rewrote the record books as a WR at NDSU. Not P5 obviously, but I think the Gophers could have easily found a spot for him. Rosemount has held it's own through the years at turning out good football players.

But to the larger point, my understanding is that the roster numbers are down at Rosemount, as they are at other schools as well. That has to have an impact on the overall talent level of the team.
Thanks for the list.

If you (or someone else) knows: what's it normally like for the 196 schools (Eagan, AV, Eastview, Rosemount) in football? Do top kids in middle school programs try to go to a particular high school to play, or maybe out of district?

I know historically the 196, Burnsville, and Lakeville schools were together. Then Farmington, Prior Lake, and Shakopee had grown so much they got put with them. Not sure if those are grouped with schools outside Dakota/Scott counties now.

Thanks for the list.

If you (or someone else) knows: what's it normally like for the 196 schools (Eagan, AV, Eastview, Rosemount) in football? Do top kids in middle school programs try to go to a particular high school to play, or maybe out of district?

I know historically the 196, Burnsville, and Lakeville schools were together. Then Farmington, Prior Lake, and Shakopee had grown so much they got put with them. Not sure if those are grouped with schools outside Dakota/Scott counties now.
Burnsville, Lakeville schools, and prior lake are in a conference together. Shakopee and Farmington are in another conference together, strangely called the Metro west.

IMHO, recruiting/not recruiting unheralded MN kids is hit and miss. There are bloomers that can become good/great players.

Covid robbed the Gophers of the opportunity to evaluate these players in their camps.

We've missed a few that went to NDSU and other places. The Gophers did get guys like Blake Cashman. About a third of the Gophers roster are Minnesota kids. Most are walk-ons. The percentage goes up a little higher if you include kids from Wisconsin. You need these types of players on your team.

It's no different than PAC schools passing on western kids who go to places like Boise, San Jose, San Diego, etc. and have great careers and then on to the NFL.

Thanks for the list.

The metro football landscape is confusing with the 6 classes and what not. For the South metro Rosemount, Lakeville North, Lakeville South, Burnsville, Eagan, Eastview, Farmington and I think maybe Shakopee are all grouped together.

In terms of those football programs, Rosemount has had a pretty long run of success, Eastview and Eagan are really struggling. I know numbers across the board are way down but Eastview and Eagan are really struggling to get players. Those are big schools with football programs that struggle to get over 50 kids on the roster. South and North have both had some decent success in recent years. Farmington has improved in recent years and is growing as is Shakopee.

Top Bottom