Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

There are well over 1,000 names in the football transfer portal (I couldn't find the exact number). Many of them will not find a new home, as coaches won't want to fill up valuable roster spots with marginal players. And many players will find they can't return to their original teams because schools aren't required to continue scholarship benefits once a player enters his name into the portal.

Players need to be careful not to overplay their hand. Unless you're confident of a soft landing spot, taking advantage of your existing scholarship and the security it provides is not a bad option.
Educational post and I appreciate this. While coaches can't poach players under scholarship with another school. Can a player under scholarship do some snooping or have someone do it for them?

Well, I would say that P5 transfers, unless you're from Alabama or the very top, shouldn't necessarily expect to find other P5 landing spots.

I would thinking working downwards would give you a better chance.

A guy like Hickcox, maybe he could land at a MAC school and earn playing time? Or even a Missouri Valley school? Just guessing.

I dont agree with this at all. Plenty of P5 to P5 transfers. Depends on what you're looking to get. Look at the P5 guys the gophers have got the past few years. Some crucial players for us. Sometimes they aren't a fit where they were (Dew-Treadway), sometimes they are buried on depth charts (St. Juste) and sometimes they never got a chance (new WR). Lots of reasons guys transfer.

I dont agree with this at all. Plenty of P5 to P5 transfers. Depends on what you're looking to get. Look at the P5 guys the gophers have got the past few years. Some crucial players for us. Sometimes they aren't a fit where they were (Dew-Treadway), sometimes they are buried on depth charts (St. Juste) and sometimes they never got a chance (new WR). Lots of reasons guys transfer.
I agree with your post. I'm confused how you read my post and came up with this reply.

I would say Notre Dame (MDT), Michigan (BSJ), and Florida (Williamson) are all pretty high up the P5.

When I just looked if they went from one P5 to another P5, most were parallel moves or moved down for QB position.

6 from non P5 to P5
7 from P5 to P5 (Texas to Utah, Wash to UCLA, Miss St to Syracuse, Okla to TCU, WI to Notre Dame, Tennessee to Colorado, Baylor to Utah)
20 from P5 to non P5

I agree with your post. I'm confused how you read my post and came up with this reply.

I would say Notre Dame (MDT), Michigan (BSJ), and Florida (Williamson) are all pretty high up the P5.

I thought you were saying P5 transfers don’t go to P5 schools. My mistake. I get what you mean now.

When I just looked if they went from one P5 to another P5, most were parallel moves or moved down for QB position.

6 from non P5 to P5
7 from P5 to P5 (Texas to Utah, Wash to UCLA, Miss St to Syracuse, Okla to TCU, WI to Notre Dame, Tennessee to Colorado, Baylor to Utah)
20 from P5 to non P5

QBs are unique in that typically only one plays. You could be really good and not get time at a big P5 school.Easier to go elsewhere and get PT then to beat someone out. Other positions you need multiple guys to fill.

Not sure how eager non P5 schools are to offer a spot to someone that rode the bench at a P5 school for 3-4 years. For example Malcolm Robinson has been sitting in the portal for months. Currently dozens of former four star players are sitting in the portal.

Educational post and I appreciate this. While coaches can't poach players under scholarship with another school. Can a player under scholarship do some snooping or have someone do it for them?
I suspect that is what happens ... but I also don't think it is a real mystery to everyone. In the case of Speilman I woudln't be suprised if Nebraska also maybe even knew exactly where he was headed.... even if only to be sure it wasn't the B1G and everyone was on the same page.

If I missed this,sorry for the dumb question. Is there a real time public listing or website where the public can see the list of names in the portal?

If I missed this,sorry for the dumb question. Is there a real time public listing or website where the public can see the list of names in the portal?
Not officially. Access is guarded, and supposed to be limited even at schools.

But kids make announcements on Twitter that they're leaving and/or entered the portal, I think fairly often.

I read "stuck in the transfer portal" and the first thing that came to mind was that episode of "Star Trek-The Next Generation" where Scotty from the original series was stuck in the transporter buffers.

Yes, I'm a sci-fi geek.

247 does a decent job keeping it updated

This is off topic as far as 2022 recruiting, but it is worth mentioning. Former Notre Dame OT John Olmstead (0.9242) from Metuchen NJ had 37 offers in 2017, and went to the GOphers Junior Day in March 2017. The GOphers offered him in camp.

He now has transferred to the Lafayette Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns. Apparently, he want to be closer to his family who now live in Louisiana.

I wonder what really happened there?

Sounds Polynesian to me. Is it a bad sign my phone tried to autocorrect to polyamorous?

Scandinavian. Look at his mom Amy Maikkula's tweet. There is a family picture. Two consecutive "K"s in the name can only be from somewhere out there where the sun don't shine.

Scandinavian. Look at his mom Amy Maikkula's tweet. There is a family picture. Two consecutive "K"s in the name can only be from somewhere out there where the sun don't shine.
It's Finnish. (Finland is generally not considered Scandinavian)

Last edited:

This would be a monster get!

Attachments

• 4B67A401-15F7-4A16-A577-DED2B899881C.jpeg
    4B67A401-15F7-4A16-A577-DED2B899881C.jpeg
    915.7 KB · Views: 119

Top Bottom