Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd be shocked if he went in rounds 2-3.

I think he'll likely be an undrafted free agent signing with an outside chance of going in rounds 5-7. I feel similar to him with how I felt about Rodney Smith going into last year. Decent but not great college player who just isn't athletic enough to be a draft pick.

St. Juste on the other hand I think will likely be a late round guy with an outside chance at going in the mid rounds if he has a big year. He was better than Durr last year IMO and he superior size and length.

PLAYER NEWS

• CONEY DURRDB, MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS

According to Pro Football Focus, Minnesota senior CB Coney Durr leads the country with a 40% forced incompletion rate.
    Forced incompletion rate is a measure of how many of a defensive back's targets result in a pass breakup or an interception. It's not exactly a measure for completion percentage, but it's close. Durr (5'10/200) has been directly responsible for forcing incompletions on 40% of his targets, meaning that the quarterback and receiver against him would have to be literally perfect to complete even 60% of passes against him. Durr is making a strong case to the NFL in his final season.
    SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter
    Oct 23, 2019, 7:53 PM ET

Minnesota senior Coney Durr had the best PFF grade in 2018 among returning Big 10 corners.
    Durr (5'10/190) only allowed 20 receptions despite playing on over 300 snaps last year, solidifying himself as one of the better corners in the conference. Only a one-year starter, Durr needs to match last year's play in 2019 to earn a pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. Without a ton of experience or elite size, Durr will also need to test well during the pre-draft process.
    May 29, 2019, 1:39 PM ET

PLAYER NEWS

According to Pro Football Focus, Minnesota senior CB Coney Durr leads the country with a 40% forced incompletion rate.
    Forced incompletion rate is a measure of how many of a defensive back's targets result in a pass breakup or an interception. It's not exactly a measure for completion percentage, but it's close. Durr (5'10/200) has been directly responsible for forcing incompletions on 40% of his targets, meaning that the quarterback and receiver against him would have to be literally perfect to complete even 60% of passes against him. Durr is making a strong case to the NFL in his final season.
    Oct 23, 2019, 7:53 PM ET

Minnesota senior Coney Durr had the best PFF grade in 2018 among returning Big 10 corners.
    Durr (5'10/190) only allowed 20 receptions despite playing on over 300 snaps last year, solidifying himself as one of the better corners in the conference. Only a one-year starter, Durr needs to match last year's play in 2019 to earn a pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. Without a ton of experience or elite size, Durr will also need to test well during the pre-draft process.
    May 29, 2019, 1:39 PM ET
I’m aware of what PFF think of Durr. And they don’t have him as a top 5 big ten returning corner. Also St. Juste is #3 according to them.

And PFF had Tyler as the highest grades WR in the country last year but was only a 5th rounder so just because they grade you highly as a college player doesn’t necessarily mean they think you are a great pro prospect.

2 Crystal Balls in for the Gophs. Solid Friday night news before Game 1 tomorrow. Can't wait.

EDIT: He committed a couple hours after that post. He's in the boat
Wonder what it means for Townley. hoping we can grab him too.

Schuster is a great 'get", watching how Mich rotated DL in frequently (and effectively) it would be great to add another DL or two this class.

With the Covid waivers in place, how many more can we take in this class?

Is early signing still in November?

Schuster is a great 'get", watching how Mich rotated DL in frequently (and effectively) it would be great to add another DL or two this class.

With the Covid waivers in place, how many more can we take in this class?

Is early signing still in November?
I believe early Dec.

Brady Boyd

Boyd had a massive debut for Southlake Carrol week one win, hauling in nine catches for 209 yards and three touchdowns. However, he broke his wrist in the contest and is currently out of action.

Brady Boyd

Boyd had a massive debut for Southlake Carrol week one win, hauling in nine catches for 209 yards and three touchdowns. However, he broke his wrist in the contest and is currently out of action.

Sucks for him that he broke his wrist but should help keep him under the radar some and maybe make it easier to avoid vultures swooping in late and trying to steal him away.

That is one heck of a first game though.

Lol, every crystal ball just went Ohio State 😩
They’ve got 2 4-star freshmen QB’s and a 5-star 2021 QB committed already. I suspect someone will be taking advantage of the new transfer rules.

Last edited:

They’ve got 2 4-star freshmen QB’s and a 5-star 2021 QB committed already. I suspect someone will be taking advantage of the new transfer rules.

to have that kind of QB talent on your roster and continue to get...crazy

While I am excited by our 2021 Greenwood, IN recruit; I find it interesting that they have 2 2022 recruits ranked higher (1 at DT (top 100) and the other at QB). Both being recruited by the Gophers.

Tumwater’s Schuster, a disruptive defensive line presence, commits to Minnesota

Jacob Schuster’s recruitment took some time to heat up. Heading into his junior season, the Tumwater defensive tackle didn’t hold a scholarship offer from a Power Five school. That all changed after his junior season, in which the 6-foot-2, 300-pounder was a one-man wrecking crew for the T-Birds, leading Tumwater to the Class 2A state championship.

The offers started rolling in, from Washington, WSU, Cal, Arizona and others. But Schuster won’t be staying on the west coast. He announced last week he’ll be heading to the Big Ten, verbally committing to the University of Minnesota to play for P.J. Fleck’s Golden Gophers.

“Just building a relationship with them, it came down to the coaching staff and what they believed in,” Schuster said. “It’s more than just football for me. When I started talking with them, they really emphasized the bigger picture, who you are in life.”

Go Gophers!!

While I am excited by our 2021 Greenwood, IN recruit; I find it interesting that they have 2 2022 recruits ranked higher (1 at DT (top 100) and the other at QB). Both being recruited by the Gophers.
Would be cool if Booker becomes the class recruiter as we're recruiting some other guys from IN as well.

Fleck made it sound like they are holding back a bit on recruiting because all seniors have been offered to come back. Lots of moving parts in the next classes numbers due to small senior class and options for them to return due to COVID.

Fleck made it sound like they are holding back a bit on recruiting because all seniors have been offered to come back. Lots of moving parts in the next classes numbers due to small senior class and options for them to return due to COVID.
Ufda. This complicates things a bit I would think.

I keep wondering how this works.

NCAA gave everyone a mulligan this year ... unless they add to the recruiting limits (and that is not without lots of complications) ... that means a lot of scholarships will get pushed out a year farther than expected and less available.

I keep wondering how this works.

NCAA gave everyone a mulligan this year ... unless they add to the recruiting limits (and that is not without lots of complications) ... that means a lot of scholarships will get pushed out a year farther than expected and less available.
So we would go with a senior as opposed to getting a player that would be solid for us for 3 years. Need to be loyal to the seniors though.

I saw one thing is that PJ has offered every senior to come back for next year, if they want to. So they've kept the 2021 commits low, to be able to accommodate that as needed. If Coyle gets word (and assuming it would be approved by regents) that football will be allowed to go over 85 for those guys, then they can adjust and expand the class. I'm sure he has a feel for what guys may not be interested in coming back (for example, Witham and Dew both started college football in 2015 !).

But I think he is practically begging the OL seniors to come back. Olson and/or Schlueter, would be huge to have back in 2021, with Faalele and perhaps Dunlap uncertain to return (at full strength). Notwithstanding that we have Guedet developing and apparently Ersery they can already tell is going to be very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom