Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaydon Hood should come to the game on Oct 24.

(not sure if recruits are allowed to attend ... probably not)

Perhaps it doesn't look like Fleck is doing much from outside, but he clearly is working his a__ off dealing with players, new recruits, the Covid etc.

You guys hearing anything about Townley? Per 247 it's Minnesota, PSU and ASU. Obviously by my handle I'd prefer ASU, but Minnesota is my 2nd favorite team. He'd look a lot better in some variation of maroon and gold... Just not Pedo State.

You guys hearing anything about Townley? Per 247 it's Minnesota, PSU and ASU. Obviously by my handle I'd prefer ASU, but Minnesota is my 2nd favorite team. He'd look a lot better in some variation of maroon and gold... Just not Pedo State.

247's Allen Trieu has had him projected to the Gophers for quite awhile, and he's usually spot on. I wouldn't blame Townley if he decided he'd rather live in Tempe, though. Hot weather, hot girls, and it seems like Herm Edwards has that program trending in the right direction.

247's Allen Trieu has had him projected to the Gophers for quite awhile, and he's usually spot on. I wouldn't blame Townley if he decided he'd rather live in Tempe, though. Hot weather, hot girls, and it seems like Herm Edwards has that program trending in the right direction.

New DL coach is an NFL guy, actually former Viking DL coach, and the co-DC's are a former NFL HC and a Pro Bowl linebacker. ASU is pushing the "NFL development" track really hard. Low key going to have a bunch of mid to late round picks in the next few years after 1st rounders back to back. They've got maybe 6 or 7 really well coached "fringe" guys that don't have 1st or 2nd round measurables but really play well and probably have the size for their positions in the L.

They're doing player dev really well. That being said, it would not break my heart if Townley wanted to be a Minnesota guy. Fleck is putting a bunch of dudes in the League too. I'd bet Durr and St. Juste (or w/e his name is) get drafted too, not just Bateman and the OL guys. Honestly feel like you guys have underappreciated Durr. He's a very, very good football player but I don't see people talking about him. Clearly better IMO than Williamson.

But just not Penn State for Townley please. They should have been death penaltied, but C.R.E.A.M. $$$. He can do as well or better at universities that don't require you to blind yourself to the past.

Last edited:

I really wouldn’t be surprised to see Durr go in the 2nd or 3rd round if he stays healthy and continues his elite play and has a decent combine. The only things that would drop him into a late pick are an injury or a bad 40.

New DL coach is an NFL guy, actually former Viking DL coach, and the co-DC's are a former NFL HC and a Pro Bowl linebacker. ASU is pushing the "NFL development" track really hard. Low key going to have a bunch of mid to late round picks in the next few years after 1st rounders back to back. They've got maybe 6 or 7 really well coached "fringe" guys that don't have 1st or 2nd round measurables but really play well and probably have the size for their positions in the L.

They're doing player dev really well. That being said, it would not break my heart if Townley wanted to be a Minnesota guy. Fleck is putting a bunch of dudes in the League too. I'd bet Durr and St. Juste (or w/e his name is) get drafted too, not just Bateman and the OL guys. Honestly feel like you guys have underappreciated Durr. He's a very, very good football player but I don't see people talking about him. Clearly better IMO than Williamson.

But just not Penn State for Townley please. They should have been death penaltied, but C.R.E.A.M. $$$. He can do as well or better at universities that don't require you to blind yourself to the past.
Thing with Townley, I'm guessing, is that we're fighting the feeling of "I've grown up in (North) Minneapolis my whole life, it would be nice to live somewhere else for a change". (I'm assuming he's been in NMpls his whole life, could easily be wrong though)

But with TJ having done well here and Fleck pumping up the program, I think we're the team to beat for him?

Agree that PSU would be the worst case. However, Franklin runs a really good program there. Regardless of anything you think or know about Paterno, Sandusky, PSU cult/fans, rural Pennsylvania people, etc.

I really wouldn’t be surprised to see Durr go in the 2nd or 3rd round if he stays healthy and continues his elite play and has a decent combine. The only things that would drop him into a late pick are an injury or a bad 40.

Durr has been solid throughout his career. Obviously a guy like AWjr overshadows everyone. So he'll have a good opportunity to be one of the standout guys on what should be a very good team.

Probably will never forget Durr....considering his first career start against Washington State in the Holiday Bowl.....in a game that we were supposed to lose by two touchdowns because a large number of our players were suspended. He played fantastic.

I'd be shocked if he went in rounds 2-3.

I think he'll likely be an undrafted free agent signing with an outside chance of going in rounds 5-7. I feel similar to him with how I felt about Rodney Smith going into last year. Decent but not great college player who just isn't athletic enough to be a draft pick.

St. Juste on the other hand I think will likely be a late round guy with an outside chance at going in the mid rounds if he has a big year. He was better than Durr last year IMO and he superior size and length.

I'd be shocked if he went in rounds 2-3.

I think he'll likely be an undrafted free agent signing with an outside chance of going in rounds 5-7. I feel similar to him with how I felt about Rodney Smith going into last year. Decent but not great college player who just isn't athletic enough to be a draft pick.

St. Juste on the other hand I think will likely be a late round guy with an outside chance at going in the mid rounds if he has a big year. He was better than Durr last year IMO and he superior size and length.

This is why he is underrated/under appreciated. He has been a beast for us for his entire Career. I agree that St. Juste also is an NFL corner, and I do realize that measurables can really affect your draft position, but I’d be less surprised if Durr makes 1st team CB than St. Juste.

This is why he is underrated/under appreciated. He has been a beast for us for his entire Career. I agree that St. Juste also is an NFL corner, and I do realize that measurables can really affect your draft position, but I’d be less surprised if Durr makes 1st team CB than St. Juste.
That is definitely not the case. Durr gave up tons of big plays both against the run and pass during the 2018 season against Nebraska, OSU, Iowa, Indiana and Illinois. He, along with Jordan Howden were the two biggest culprits of why we gave up so many big plays during that stretch IMO.

Now since Rossi has been DC he has played much better no doubt. His still hasn't struck me as a NFL caliber though unlike when I have watched Cashman, Martin, Coughlin, Winfield or even St. Juste. I think St. Juste was the better corner last year and am expecting him to make a bigger leap partly due to having a higher ceiling. Had the same amount of passes broken up while starting 4 less games and had more tackles. Thought he also did a better job holding the edge against the run as well. Durr had a few bad missed tackles against Purdue and Fresno although to be fair that is a bit nitpicky. Still though, Durr has just never jumped out at me that much like Murray or BBC have or our other NFL guys. And he won't have the 40 time that someone like Jalen Myrick will have to help in sneak in the later rounds.

I love reading recruiting comments from everybody but holy s...t. Mplsgopher has to put his two cents in everything. Really nobody really cares what you think. Please stop
No. And I don't care if anyone cares what I think. I write for myself, because I enjoy reading my own thoughts. And I have a lot of thoughts, though many aren't of much value and/or are incorrect.

I'll continue to use the board however I see fit.

Put me on ignore, if you're that much of a child that you can't figure out how to use a mouse wheel. :rolleyes:

That is definitely not the case. Durr gave up tons of big plays both against the run and pass during the 2018 season against Nebraska, OSU, Iowa, Indiana and Illinois. He, along with Jordan Howden were the two biggest culprits of why we gave up so many big plays during that stretch IMO.

Now since Rossi has been DC he has played much better no doubt. His still hasn't struck me as a NFL caliber though unlike when I have watched Cashman, Martin, Coughlin, Winfield or even St. Juste. I think St. Juste was the better corner last year and am expecting him to make a bigger leap partly due to having a higher ceiling. Had the same amount of passes broken up while starting 4 less games and had more tackles. Thought he also did a better job holding the edge against the run as well. Durr had a few bad missed tackles against Purdue and Fresno although to be fair that is a bit nitpicky. Still though, Durr has just never jumped out at me that much like Murray or BBC have or our other NFL guys. And he won't have the 40 time that someone like Jalen Myrick will have to help in sneak in the later rounds.
Bolded: I mean, even Cashman and Barber were contributing to big plays being made against us ... even by Illinois.

I really think a lot of the blame falls directly on the shoulders of Robb Smith, overloading those guys' plates, making them play slow and bogged down mentally. But that is just a guess.

Not trying to take away from the awesome Raztlaff golf story at all. On a flight from Minneapolis to some other city traveling for work I ended up seated next to a man taking extensive notes on something. I looked over and politely as I could asked what he was working on. By chance he was an NHL scout for a team I can't recall but he was in the Twin Cities to scout Paul Martin play hockey at Elk River. This was January and must have been before he was drafted so I am guessing it was in Martin's sophomore year in high school. The scout told me Martin was the best high school hockey player he had seen in many years and for sure would be a great NHL player and could play D1 football if he wanted to do so. This is the opinion of an NHL scout after seeing Martin play a few times as a sophomore and was probably going to the next town to see NHL prospects and report back to the NHL team that would try to draft Martin. The point is that these elite athletes show it early. A player like Ratzlaff is going to be a star either way no matter what sport he chooses but it sounds like he sees his best chance as a hockey player and why not play for the Gophers?! I think it would be great if that happens.

So, much to my surprise Ratzlaff was not drafted in the 2020 NHL Draft. Perhaps some NHL teams got scared off by the possibility of him choosing college football. Also read that he was going to base his decision partly on where he got drafted. This may mean he is more likely to choose football now. Hopefully he sticks with the Gophers either way!

I think I saw Rosemount's football team got hindered early here by covid?

Anyway, article from Sept 1, for what it's worth: https://www.postbulletin.com/sports...es-tough-choice-blocked-shots-or-zone-blitzes

Ratzlaff said spending part of the season playing for P.J. Fleck at TCF Bank Stadium and part of the season on the other side of Oak Street, playing for Bob Motzko at 3M Arena at Mariucci, has been discussed. Although it would be a physical challenge, and a scheduling challenge.

“We’ve talked about that, and it is an option,” Ratzlaff said. “But it’s also a very difficult option due to the overlap in seasons and the weight I’d have to put on for football and then take off for hockey. But it has been talked about.”

So for the time being, Ratzlaff will be heading to Green Bay, for the delayed start of the USHL season, and with some more time to ponder his future, and the many good options before him.

“My family and I are still trying to sort some things out, so we don’t have any definite answers,” Ratzlaff said. “In a couple of weeks I think it will be pretty clear what’s going to happen, but things can change quickly depending on COVID-19 and other things.”

In the meantime, if you are in Green Bay and you want to check out Ratzlaff in person, look for a defenseman who is built like a linebacker, and is probably wearing purple.

So, much to my surprise Ratzlaff was not drafted in the 2020 NHL Draft. Perhaps some NHL teams got scared off by the possibility of him choosing college football. Also read that he was going to base his decision partly on where he got drafted. This may mean he is more likely to choose football now. Hopefully he sticks with the Gophers either way!
I believe you hit it right on the nail. That's not to say that hockey can't happen in the NHL as he can prove many wrong by excelling in hockey by having an outstanding career at the college level.

Personally I would think he needs to play the sport where his HEART is. Wherever that is, he will do better in the long run.

I believe you hit it right on the nail. That's not to say that hockey can't happen in the NHL as he can prove many wrong by excelling in hockey by having an outstanding career at the college level.

Personally I would think he needs to play the sport where his HEART is. Wherever that is, he will do better in the long run.
There's also no rule saying that, for example, if he decides to play Gopher hockey, gets here, then decides he's had a change of heart and wants to switch to football, that it isn't allowed. Always keep the door open

Hungry for real recruiting news. Vikings @#$%!

There's also no rule saying that, for example, if he decides to play Gopher hockey, gets here, then decides he's had a change of heart and wants to switch to football, that it isn't allowed. Always keep the door open
We need the blue line help. I hope he plays on the other side of the street.

No. And I don't care if anyone cares what I think. I write for myself, because I enjoy reading my own thoughts. And I have a lot of thoughts, though many aren't of much value and/or are incorrect.

I'll continue to use the board however I see fit.

Put me on ignore, if you're that much of a child that you can't figure out how to use a mouse wheel. :rolleyes:
[
Sounds good. I will ignore you. I go on the basketball ball site and you’re over there too. Giving your insight every other comment by somebody. You really need to get out of your moms basement.

per Shooter:

The Gophers rank No. 27 in 2021 football recruiting, according to the reliable 247sports.com. Wisconsin is No. 16.

Minnesota has no five-star recruits among 16 commitments but four four-stars. The Badgers have one five-star and six four-stars among 19 commitments.
Wisconsin plays Minnesota on Nov. 28 in chilly Madison.

Go Gophers!!

per Andrew:

OL Austin Barber, Minnesota commit – It's always interesting to see how prospects look as seniors as sometimes their body has undergone a complete transformation. That's exactly the case with Barber. The 6-foot-7 tackle has leaned a bit and is now hovering right around 295 pounds. That allowed him to go both ways for Trinity Christian on Friday. While Barber did get some push on defense, his future is on offense and that future appears to be bright as he's got a long reach and plays well through the whistle. P.J. Fleck and the Gophers could have a steal in Barber.

Go Gophers!!

Pick 6 with 4-Star Recruit, Desert Edge’s DB Steven Ortiz Jr.

As we talked, he elaborated on his style of play as “Being a Dog, and the smartest guy on the field, being grimy and ready to work.” Being listed as 5-11 175 pounds Steven brings his all every Friday night and makes sure his opponent knows that he’s arrived. “If you’re not on my team I’m headhunting you.” He didn’t shy away from the praise of that great defensive line at Desert Edge.

With the conversation from the high-powered recruit coming to an end, we played a game of PICK 6. It’s similar to the game called “This or That” where the individual gets six questions and they pick their preference of the two options.

Steven’s PICK 6:
  1. Chick-fil-A or In N Out = Chick-fil-A
  2. Nike or Adidas = Nike
  3. Lebron James or Michael Jordan = Michael Jordan
  4. Hot or Cold = Cold
  5. Pick 6 or Big Hit = Big Hit
  6. Texans or Chiefs = Chiefs

Go Gophers!!

Great to read that Barber looks good. The lines on both sides of the ball are probably my biggest question marks in regards to sustained success at Minnesota.

2 Crystal Balls in for the Gophs. Solid Friday night news before Game 1 tomorrow. Can't wait.

EDIT: He committed a couple hours after that post. He's in the boat

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom