Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see 10 Scholarship seniors on the team so the class was going to be small. Gotta think the NCAA will do a one year expansion of scholarships.

If they return
Seth Green- 6th year
Witham- 7th year
Kieft- 6th year
Connor Olson- 6th year
Schlueter- 6th year
Treadway-7th year
Schad-Juco 5th year
Durr- Likely leaves to get drafted but would be 6th year
Harris- 5th year
Howard- 6th year and already entered the portal once.

Andries will get drafted as a guard and could leave
Sapp already leaving
Bateman will leave

Rough current scholarships by class count
Senior-10
Junior-16
Sophomore-11
Freshmen-45

Thank you for putting together the summary. Unless one of them wants to continue with a Masters degree, and I think several of them are already there, I can't see 6th or 7th year guys staying unless they have hopes of playing pro and it might help their draft position.

Here's a question: Do you think some of the late round draft picks might leave, because if the competition from other schools decide to stay and use the extra year of eligibility, there are fewer players entering the draft?

Thank you for putting together the summary. Unless one of them wants to continue with a Masters degree, and I think several of them are already there, I can't see 6th or 7th year guys staying unless they have hopes of playing pro and it might help their draft position.

Here's a question: Do you think some of the late round draft picks might leave, because if the competition from other schools decide to stay and use the extra year of eligibility, there are fewer players entering the draft?

I guess the other scenario is if those older guys feel like they have a chance to be a part of a special team in 2021, that could also be a factor in staying.

I see 10 Scholarship seniors on the team so the class was going to be small. Gotta think the NCAA will do a one year expansion of scholarships.

If they return
Seth Green- 6th year
Witham- 7th year
Kieft- 6th year
Connor Olson- 6th year
Schlueter- 6th year
Treadway-7th year
Schad-Juco 5th year
Durr- Likely leaves to get drafted but would be 6th year
Harris- 5th year
Howard- 6th year and already entered the portal once.

Andries will get drafted as a guard and could leave
Sapp already leaving
Bateman will leave

Rough current scholarships by class count
Senior-10
Junior-16
Sophomore-11
Freshmen-45
I think the 7th year guys leave. The 6th year guys would depend on if they want to get a masters, expected playing time next year/ability to up draft stock, and current draft stock. In any world, this will be a mess, but I wouldn't be surprised if only half stay. In that case it would be like this class has 22 members currently and that's in line with the type of class size PJ has been able to deal with so far. I think it's the years after next that'll be weird as I believe the whole team gets an extra year, not just the seniors.

I think it's the years after next that'll be weird as I believe the whole team gets an extra year, not just the seniors.
Yeah that'll be unique with recruiting classes, etc.

I guess the other scenario is if those older guys feel like they have a chance to be a part of a special team in 2021, that could also be a factor in staying.
If you can do that and get a Master's degree completely paid for free by school ... I mean, why not? It's the best time of your life. Don't be in a rush to move on to being a working stiff, like everyone else.

If you can do that and get a Master's degree completely paid for free by school ... I mean, why not? It's the best time of your life. Don't be in a rush to move on to being a working stiff, like everyone else.
Depends on the masters you want to get / if you want to go through that ordeal... ;)

College football seems like such a massive time and physical sacrifice. I suspect that a fair amount of 23 year old 5-6th year players will not be interested in another year if they’re not projecting an NFL career. Interestingly I bet a decent amount don’t put as much stock in putting their body through that, and delaying their future, for a potentially “special year” as we lifelong fans assume they would.

College football seems like such a massive time and physical sacrifice. I suspect that a fair amount of 23 year old 5-6th year players will not be interested in another year if they’re not projecting an NFL career. Interestingly I bet a decent amount don’t put as much stock in putting their body through that, and delaying their future, for a potentially “special year” as we lifelong fans assume they would.

I totally agree about the physical sacrifice.

And school isn't for everyone .... but man I'd love to go back to school with a year to waste and just take some fun classes.

Granted they're not me... and that's good, because I'm not sure I could punt for more than ... 12 yards reliably.

If everyone gets an extra year of eligibility, across the country, couldn't we expect to see a high number of grad transfers we could see an influx of talent in areas of critical need (DEFENSE!!!! And maybe some o-line help).

If everyone gets an extra year of eligibility, across the country, couldn't we expect to see a high number of grad transfers we could see an influx of talent in areas of critical need (DEFENSE!!!! And maybe some o-line help).
It will be interesting to see if more people want to grad transfer ... or are maybe forced to ... but where are they going to go if everyone is pretty full?

The former player I know really wishes he was redshirted so he could have gotten at least half a master's degree for free. So you might be surprised at how many people value that free master's degree.

The former player I know really wishes he was redshirted so he could have gotten at least half a master's degree for free. So you might be surprised at how many people value that free master's degree.
I'm sure plenty of folks would like it... but I think those are the types who are going to get it or aren't.

I'm not sure how many impulse buy masters degrees there are ;)

I'm sure plenty of folks would like it... but I think those are the types who are going to get it or aren't.

I'm not sure how many impulse buy masters degrees there are ;)
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. This player still doesn't have his master's because the finances were an obstacle. I think there are many that would do it if it was free but wouldn't otherwise (or would have to significantly delay getting it).

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. This player still doesn't have his master's because the finances were an obstacle. I think there are many that would do it if it was free but wouldn't otherwise (or would have to significantly delay getting it).

That's sort of curious, they were a scholarship player who didn't want to pay for 2 years of college but would have paid for 1?

Of all things a year vs two years of college usually aren't a big obstacle. It's 4 or 5 that get people.

Some depts offer a deal where if you stay on an extra year, they'll give you a master's degree for two additional full semester's worth of credit load.

Guess they figure an extra year of tuition payments (by someone) is better than none (choosing not to take the usual two extra years).

You never know what might make your resume stand out against someone else's. If it's free, and just costs time and effort that you had to spend anyway, why not?

It may call into question, what the actual value of a Master's is worth to employers ... do they really get much for having to pay a bit more for a student who was already motivated enough to spend an extra year taking lecture courses, that probably won't directly apply to the business?

Am I correct in saying that all athletes, regardless of what their current number of years of eligibility they have left are given a free pass this year? Meaning it doesn't just effect current seniors but all players. Tanner Morgan for instance could have an extra year of eligibility if he wants it?

Am I correct in saying that all athletes, regardless of what their current number of years of eligibility they have left are given a free pass this year? Meaning it doesn't just effect current seniors but all players. Tanner Morgan for instance could have an extra year of eligibility if he wants it?
Yes. Nobody is using up any eligibility this year.

I think technically what it will do is not count the 2020 season as a participated season for anyone, and any player who applies for it can have a no questions extension of their clock by one year.

That's sort of curious, they were a scholarship player who didn't want to pay for 2 years of college but would have paid for 1?

Of all things a year vs two years of college usually aren't a big obstacle. It's 4 or 5 that get people.
If someone offered me $25,000 worth of education for free, I'd take it. Well not at this point of my life, but when I was 22? For sure.

Anyway....back on topic. Will be interesting to see how many of those players stay on. Could really impact next year's class.

Last edited:

I totally agree about the physical sacrifice.

And school isn't for everyone .... but man I'd love to go back to school with a year to waste and just take some fun classes.

Granted they're not me... and that's good, because I'm not sure I could punt for more than ... 12 yards reliably.
But I bet you punt the best spiral ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's really an unknown how many openings we'll have in this class. With the extra year of eligibility, have they increased the 85 person scholly limit?

It hasn't been announced. Fleck he is waiting for Coyle to let him know.

They could do something where guys under 6 years are limited to 85, then maybe a max of 10 for 6th (or more) year guys? I made that up. But anything should be on the table, IMO.

sounds like Mississippi State offered nfd is closer to home which he wants

(Per Twitter)
I also wonder if maybe Olson or Schlueter have told Fleck they are going to come back for a 6th year, and maybe that affected it?

per KSTP:

"We're definitely grateful to have a season. Before when it was canceled, we were so down, hoping the spring season would go well, but I'm as grateful as I can be," said Logan Purcell, Annandale senior OL/DL.

Purcell is a Gophers commit that is looking forward to playing for the hometown school and coach P.J. Fleck.

"I'm a Minnesota boy through and through for sure. I grew up watching the Gophers. P.J. (Fleck) is a great guy. Everyone you talk to loves his energy. Every time I talk to him I ask him, 'How many shots of espresso do you put in your coffee?' I love his energy and the surrounding community. I always wanted to go to the "U" and be a Golden Gopher," Purcell added.

Go Gophers!!

Two games into the season, my observation is we MIGHT want to pick up another LB or three in this class.
Speaking of LB’s, has anyone discussed Garrison Solliday from St. Thomas Academy? I have a friend with a kid that plays at STA. Sounds like he has preferred walk on opportunities at MN, WI, etc...but now that he’s moved from D-Line to LB this year he’s getting more looks. I heard he’s expecting an offer from Duke (he’s a smart kid, and schools like Duke, Northwestern and Ivy League are appealing to him).

I know to keep expectations down from highlights, but here is his HUDL video:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom