Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a side note, if you check his bio, it even mentions he recovered a fumble in the game. There weren't any fumbles on PATs, so had to be during a normal series. Either way, he has some game experience and Tanner mentioned him as well specifically as someone coming on in his presser last week
I was wrong, it wasn't on the goalline, it was in the middle of the field. Yes, he is credited as recovering a fumble, though it's impossible to actually see what happens. The snap was muffed, then just a mash of bodies, and eventually Ruschmeyer has the ball and hands it to the officials. He was in as fullback, and I believe was meant to push Tanner for a first down. It was on 4th and 1, the first drive of the 4th quarter. You can go to around 1:39:40 or so to watch it in the YouTube video.

Thanks for sharing what Tanner said though. I believe it. If it has to be, and he's the next man up at Guard, then Fleck thinks he's the best man to do it.

Not even sure who would realistically be the next person after that to turn to. Guedet perhaps, though I think he is longer and meant for tackle, and then Beier and Boe, I guess.

I believe we need to get the baby sitters from this site to get us back on track and get rid of the nitpicking between posters.
I feel bad for you man, what with all this no recruiting news happening right now that needs to be commented on.

SO...Who is the next athlete to commit? Any leads on kids that are leaning heavy on the Gophers? Is there any traction at all that we get Markevious Brown? He is an IMG product. Others that are in the recruiting circle have said that he has shown interest to the Gophers recently....

Would love to get Schuster. No idea when he will commit or how much we're in the game for him, but assuming top 5/6 if he took an official to see us (wait, are we even allowed to pay for him to come here, in a dead period?)

SO...Who is the next athlete to commit? Any leads on kids that are leaning heavy on the Gophers? Is there any traction at all that we get Markevious Brown? He is an IMG product. Others that are in the recruiting circle have said that he has shown interest to the Gophers recently....

Maybe Davon Townley from Mpls North?

We need some magic dust or flecks of glitter...

File too big to link, but good article in a Wisconsin football blog about the next top guy at tackle for the Badgers: recruit Troy Wedig (6'7" 320lb 4*). The article enumerates as Wedig's competition four other recent tackle recruits, two 5* and two high 4*. A very "crowded room." Lakeville OT Mahlmann doesn't even get a mention as being in the running. I know I am beating a dead horse, and apologize to those who want fresh news, but I am still perplexed by Mahlmann's decision.

File too big to link, but good article in a Wisconsin football blog about the next top guy at tackle for the Badgers: recruit Troy Wedig (6'7" 320lb 4*). The article enumerates as Wedig's competition four other recent tackle recruits, two 5* and two high 4*. A very "crowded room." Lakeville OT Mahlmann doesn't even get a mention as being in the running. I know I am beating a dead horse, and apologize to those who want fresh news, but I am still perplexed by Mahlmann's decision.
Agree it makes no sense, compared to other options he could've done. Must love Madison and the Badgers, and wants to try to make the dream happen.

Grand Rapids MI Ru'Quan Buckley, 6'6" 260lbs OT (0.8709) announcing on October 14. Gophers are one of the teams on his top ten.

FWIW, Allen Trieu's (247) assessment says: Likely projection is Power 5 starter at defensive end (and can play in an even or odd front) but offensive tackle is not out of the question either.

We already have three OT commits for the 21 class. And he seems a bit light at 260, so maybe more of a project at OT?

FWIW, Allen Trieu's (247) assessment says: Likely projection is Power 5 starter at defensive end (and can play in an even or odd front) but offensive tackle is not out of the question either.

We already have three OT commits for the 21 class. And he seems a bit light at 260, so maybe more of a project at OT?

At 6'6"....if the coaches want him at OT.....they'd be able to put the weight on him.

He has the frame to bulk him up in the strength program.

He will look good at 315-320 lbs of muscle power in two to three years.

Last edited:

I see that the so called experts have Trieu listed going to Nebraska. Hoping we still got a shot at this guy.

I see that the so called experts have Trieu listed going to Nebraska. Hoping we still got a shot at this guy.
Those crystal balls are from Jan 22, 2020. Kentucky, Nebraska, and Iowa State have been on him since before summer 2019. So kudos to those programs.

But he has also received an additional 11 P5 offers since 1/22, including ours from Feb.

At 6'6"....if the coaches want him at OT.....they'd be able to put the weight on him.
He has the frame to bulk him up in the strength program.

He will look good at 315-320 lbs of muscle power in two to three years.
Sure, I believe that.

Just wondering if maybe we might want him as a DE, given we already have three OT ?

I believe Florida State is recruiting him as an OT rather than DE. He can probably be either--if he puts on the weight for tackle (a project)--depending on the needs of a school he chooses. Nice to have a player who might be able to fill either of two needs, depending on how our overall recruiting goes.

I think Gopherland it is time for some fantastic news on the recruiting front. No news on Davon Townley. No news on any late recruiting surprises...

I think Gopherland it is time for some fantastic news on the recruiting front. No news on Davon Townley. No news on any late recruiting surprises...
Now this is something I can clearly agree with you on!

I believe Florida State is recruiting him as an OT rather than DE. He can probably be either--if he puts on the weight for tackle (a project)--depending on the needs of a school he chooses. Nice to have a player who might be able to fill either of two needs, depending on how our overall recruiting goes.

Guys with his frame who could project on either side of the line are a bit more unique. NCAA Football 14 thinks so (as far as ATH players go) at least. 😊

Guys with his frame who could project on either side of the line are a bit more unique. NCAA Football 14 thinks so (as far as ATH players go) at least. 😊
I miss that game so much. Wish they would make it backward compatible with the xbox one

Ru’Quan Buckley is being recruited heavily both for OL and DL. If we got lucky enough to land him and Townley, Buckley might grow into a good, athletic OT. Then the big OL recruit from Texas could slide over and be a David Dixon like OG. Fingers crossed. Recruiting pretty quiet lately.

Last edited:

May be quiet on our end, but I'd bet anything that Fleck and crew are burning the midnight oil touching base with our current recruits and constantly reaching out to new ones. I don't think we have a clue what goes on behind the scenes as to recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom