Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="BleedGopher, post: 1964867, member: 12"

Go Gophers!!

Sorry if it has been posted already but here is Booker's 247 profile. Nice size already for a high school kid and very quick and disruptive. Don't know anything about the level of competition he goes up against in high school, but just watched first few minutes of his highlights from last season, and he blows up a lot of plays in the backfield before they have any chance to even get started.

[/QUOTE]

I know nothing about him, but I can tell you he plays in the highest class and most competitive conference in Indiana. Schools they play against like Warren Central, Ben Davis, and Carmel put tons of players into D1 programs. His school, Center Grove, is always considered a preseason contender for the state championship.

Go Gophers!!
In response to the level of competition that Austin Booker / Center Grove HS face here in the Indianapolis area. CG is a 6A football team (largest teams). The 6A teams here in INDY...Warren Central, Carmel, Ben Davis & Center Grove play some serious football. They play the large private schools from Cinci & Louisville every year. CG is a run heavy, defense heavy team. They are the smaller of the big 6A powerhouses, however they run their offense (wing-T basically) and even though we see it every year....just different. David Bell (PU) is from Warren Central, Otomewo (MN) is from Ben Davis, Justin Britt (Iowa) warren central, Cole Brevard (Carmel)....just a list of some of the players from the MIC conference here in INDY. My kid played at warren central with Jeff George Jr back in 2013 beating Carmel 7-6 for the 6A title at Lucas Oil Stadium. Have a good day.

In response to the level of competition that Austin Booker / Center Grove HS face here in the Indianapolis area. CG is a 6A football team (largest teams). The 6A teams here in INDY...Warren Central, Carmel, Ben Davis & Center Grove play some serious football. They play the large private schools from Cinci & Louisville every year. CG is a run heavy, defense heavy team. They are the smaller of the big 6A powerhouses, however they run their offense (wing-T basically) and even though we see it every year....just different. David Bell (PU) is from Warren Central, Otomewo (MN) is from Ben Davis, Justin Britt (Iowa) warren central, Cole Brevard (Carmel)....just a list of some of the players from the MIC conference here in INDY. My kid played at warren central with Jeff George Jr back in 2013 beating Carmel 7-6 for the 6A title at Lucas Oil Stadium. Have a good day.

My coworker use to be the wrestling coach at Warren. Definitely big time athletics in that area. I think he won a couple state titles, or had state champions at least. He always speaks highly of the basketball and football programs as well.

7-6 state title game though...woof!

My coworker use to be the wrestling coach at Warren. Definitely big time athletics in that area. I think he won a couple state titles, or had state champions at least. He always speaks highly of the basketball and football programs as well.

7-6 state title game though...woof!
Yes, a defensive battle or non-effective offenses. Carmel got two FG, i think missed one, went for it on 4th down a cpl of times and got stuffed, kick return called back on a penalty, had their chances to win. WC recovered a fumble on like the 25 yard line, a couple of plays later tipped ball in end zone for TD. was fun to watch my kid play. Now my youngest is a sophomore at IU / 6-9 & 270 lb education major, no football or basketball...played soccer goalie for WC for a few years.

Sorry if it has been posted already but here is Booker's 247 profile. Nice size already for a high school kid and very quick and disruptive. Don't know anything about the level of competition he goes up against in high school, but just watched first few minutes of his highlights from last season, and he blows up a lot of plays in the backfield before they have any chance to even get started.

I know nothing about him, but I can tell you he plays in the highest class and most competitive conference in Indiana. Schools they play against like Warren Central, Ben Davis, and Carmel put tons of players into D1 programs. His school, Center Grove, is always considered a preseason contender for the state championship.
[/QUOTE]
And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Marquise Gray come from Ben Davis?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Marquise Gray come from Ben Davis?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, as I believe did Courtney James from the Gophers Final Four hoops team

Freshman 50, eh? :cool:
he was 6-6 & 220 or so as a soccer goalie @ WC...so he gained 40 last year...and this year along with the lock down, eating everything he can find at home put a little more on him. has talked about walking on @ IU as either offensive tackle or tight end. i will believe it, when i see it.

If Purcell, Hess and James are all committed and signed, I'm happy with that for our Oline class. Would take Alt as well, obviously. Would like 3 of the 4, don't care too much about which 3.
I'm fine with any of them' but I would add Rod Orr from Alabama. He is still listed as "warm". If he plays basketball at 295 lbs. that intrigues me.

I'm fine with any of them' but I would add Rod Orr from Alabama. He is still listed as "warm". If he plays basketball at 295 lbs. that intrigues me.
Works for me!

I like showing these southern SEC kids that they can come up to Big Ten schools and have great college careers, leading to NFL jobs, and then great careers after football.

Not much different than southern kids who end up playing for northern NFL teams.

Expand your horizons! Get out of the south, for some period in your life!

Works for me!

I like showing these southern SEC kids that they can come up to Big Ten schools and have great college careers, leading to NFL jobs, and then great careers after football.

Not much different than southern kids who end up playing for northern NFL teams.

Expand your horizons! Get out of the south, for some period in your life!
I like that P.J. uses the cold to our benefit in recruiting by letting the kids know that many football teams play outside and they need to be ready to play in any environment.

I like that P.J. uses the cold to our benefit in recruiting by letting the kids know that many football teams play outside and they need to be ready to play in any environment.
Plus an undergrad degree from the U of Minn is worth $X more to your post-football career on average than the typical SEC undergrad degree.

Things like that.

per Sid:

The biggest question surrounding the Gophers football team was how coach P.J. Fleck and his staff were going to build off the momentum of last year’s 11-2 record this offseason.

Coming off the best Gophers football campaign in 50 years, they have put together the best offseason in at least that long.

Despite the NCAA shutdown of in-person recruiting, Fleck and his staff have secured 14 commitments for the Class of 2021 and have the No. 6-ranked class in the nation — trailing only Ohio State, North Carolina, Florida, Clemson and Tennessee — according to 247sports.com. That kind of early recruiting success is unprecedented at Minnesota.

In an interview via e-mail this week, Fleck said he gives a lot of credit to Gerrit Chernoff, the Gophers general manager who was hired in 2017 to oversee off-field programs for the team.

“We talk about not letting the circumstance dictate our behavior and our recruiting staff has been tremendous,” Fleck said. “They have found unique ways to adapt to the situation we are in and to provide the most elite experience for potential student-athletes.

“It’s all about our culture. Our coaches are doing a great job creatively and virtually right now to find a way to be just a little bit different, find a way to be able to do more, and do it better for longer. They’re working really hard right now and the last few weeks have proven that. But we are not done yet.”

Go Gophers!!

Sure. Any 3 viable OL is fine for this class. If they end up with 4 or 5, I trust the staff. Just need to add at least 3 guys they like.

I would take a few cold games in November over having to practice in the heat of the summer in the south. Fall camp in Minnesota sound so much better than Fall camp in the blistering heat and humidity of the sec schools.

Wozniak played at Center Grove.

per Jace:

Albert Regis had essentially played one game at defensive line through his sophomore year at La Porte High School in Texas. He was a tight end first and foremost, and a dominant one. But then Anthony Renfro got La Porte’s head coaching job in February of 2019.

Renfro is a defensive coach at heart, and when he saw Regis’ size, strength and speed, he saw a star defensive lineman.

Regis committed to Minnesota on Tuesday, making him the 14th member of the Gophers’ currently top-10 ranked Class of 2021. Regis is listed at 6-foot-1, 290 pounds on his Hudl page, with a 4.61 40-yard dash. Renfro said the big man can bench press more than 400 pounds, and squats more than 600.
And while he’s listed as a defensive tackle, Regis said the Gophers have talked about using him as a “Swiss Army tool” in their defense.

“[P.J. Fleck] said that I could play D-tackle, end, I could do stand-up rush and drop back in coverage,” Regis said. “Like a Jadeveon Clowney-type of thing.”

Go Gophers!!

per Jace:

Albert Regis had essentially played one game at defensive line through his sophomore year at La Porte High School in Texas. He was a tight end first and foremost, and a dominant one. But then Anthony Renfro got La Porte’s head coaching job in February of 2019.

Renfro is a defensive coach at heart, and when he saw Regis’ size, strength and speed, he saw a star defensive lineman.

Regis committed to Minnesota on Tuesday, making him the 14th member of the Gophers’ currently top-10 ranked Class of 2021. Regis is listed at 6-foot-1, 290 pounds on his Hudl page, with a 4.61 40-yard dash. Renfro said the big man can bench press more than 400 pounds, and squats more than 600.
And while he’s listed as a defensive tackle, Regis said the Gophers have talked about using him as a “Swiss Army tool” in their defense.

“[P.J. Fleck] said that I could play D-tackle, end, I could do stand-up rush and drop back in coverage,” Regis said. “Like a Jadeveon Clowney-type of thing.”

Go Gophers!!
Regis is going to be a force!

If I had to guess, I'd say Benjamin Perry on May 9th.

Although, with the way PJ is cooking, 10 days seems like a long time between commits

10 days does feel like a long time but there are only so many spots to fill between now and December so nice to space things out a little bit in order to not use them all up too quick :)

per Jace:

Albert Regis

[/URL]

Go Gophers!!
This "drop back in coverage" ability would really mess up the other team's QB. You're trying to figure out if our defense is in Cover 1 or Cover 2 or some other formation, and on the snap you get a DL dropping back to take over the middle, or covering some slot pass. That'd be unreal. Just the constant threat of "it could happen on any play" has gotta make 'em worried. This could be a lot of fun.

This "drop back in coverage" ability would really mess up the other team's QB. You're trying to figure out if our defense is in Cover 1 or Cover 2 or some other formation, and on the snap you get a DL dropping back to take over the middle, or covering some slot pass. That'd be unreal. Just the constant threat of "it could happen on any play" has gotta make 'em worried. This could be a lot of fun.
Alabama had a d lineman like this a couple years ago. Can't recall his name.

ESPN graded out the rest of our class.

It's interesting to see the bump from last year. In 2020, ESPN graded 4 of the 24 at 73 and 14 of 24 (58%) at 75 or lower. Thus far for 2021, 0 of 14 are graded 73 and only 3 of 14 (21%) are graded 75 or lower. Will know more in a few years but the ceiling and floor are both appear to be noticeably higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom