Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
This "drop back in coverage" ability would really mess up the other team's QB. You're trying to figure out if our defense is in Cover 1 or Cover 2 or some other formation, and on the snap you get a DL dropping back to take over the middle, or covering some slot pass. That'd be unreal. Just the constant threat of "it could happen on any play" has gotta make 'em worried. This could be a lot of fun.
To me this feels like "overthinking it" on defense.

On the other hand, if you can force the opposing offense to "overthink it", and "overprepare for it", maybe that's worth it.

That's why I don't make the big bucks!

I just got the picture in my head of Regis dropping back and using his TE hands for the pick-6 versus Iowa. I hate Iowa.

This "drop back in coverage" ability would really mess up the other team's QB. You're trying to figure out if our defense is in Cover 1 or Cover 2 or some other formation, and on the snap you get a DL dropping back to take over the middle, or covering some slot pass. That'd be unreal. Just the constant threat of "it could happen on any play" has gotta make 'em worried. This could be a lot of fun.
Coughlin had the speed to do that but I only remember it happening once or twice.

Only "problem" (and it's really not, I'm sure) is that North was basically gifted the chance to rebuild its entire athletics program by allowing it to play in the bottom Minnesota class.

So basically, against tiny private schools and farm schools. They were legit playing 1A football only a few years ago.

I think they've built back up to maybe 3A? But it's still a far cry from 4A and 5A level competition.

My heart just skipped a beat. Mar'Keise Irving isn't in that top 4 on the right side of 247. My first thought was how the hell did they lose him? What actually happened was Jaydon Hood jumped a bunch and took his place, or maybe he dropped some in his ranking. Scared the hell out of me!!!

I see Jamari Buddin just got 2 crystal balls in favor of undecided. Did Najee Story just get 2 Northwestern crystal balls from the big-time guys?

I see Jamari Buddin just got 2 crystal balls in favor of undecided. Did Najee Story just get 2 Northwestern crystal balls from the big-time guys?

Yep. Story appears to be a done deal to NW with Wilfong's crystal ball. Wonder if this is part of the timing of our offer to another DE - TJ's cousin from Mpls North

Yep. Story appears to be a done deal to NW with Wilfong's crystal ball. Wonder if this is part of the timing of our offer to another DE - TJ's cousin from Mpls North
Fine with me. Bring in the kid from North (y) Seems like he's really comin' on and gaining momentum. Hopefully on the field and not just the recruiting trail

We have been spoiled recently with all the commits but we won't win all the battles so if Story goes elsewhere so be it.

Looks like Iowa State was the first P5 offer. They offered right before we did, maybe triggered the gophers to offer. Perhaps Fleck was trying to keep this one close to the vest but ISU forced his hand?

Last edited:

I wonder if he can help that non-offense NW had last year. It was bad enough that a defensive end would be an offensive improvement.

So you are saying it's the end of the Story?

Looks like Iowa State was the first P5 offer. They offered right before we did, maybe triggered the gophers to offer. Perhaps Fleck was trying to keep this one close to the vest but ISU forced his hand?
You'd think a kid from North would rather play at the U than go down to farmland Ames, Iowa. But I guess we'll see.

There's also the part of it that we don't get to know, being is an offer "commitable".

You'd think a kid from North would rather play at the U than go down to farmland Ames, Iowa. But I guess we'll see.

There's also the part of it that we don't get to know, being is an offer "commitable".
Offers within the first few days or weeks are typically always committable. Usually they they don’t become uncommitable until after the recruit waits too long.

PJ is not forgetting kids in the Gophers' backyard. This is a great thing the for inner city MPLS/St. Paul and for TJ's alma mater Minneapolis North HS.

The neighborhood are probably feeling like they are not forgotten. If more kids from the neighborhood get offers from D1 programs starting with the Gophers, it will help slow the talent drain to Hopkins and other suburban high schools.

What Tyler Johnson did single-handedly is immeasurable. He lifted his entire HS and community by staying home. Let's hope they continue to produce local talent and funnel them to the U. TJ saved his HS from being closed.

That was very thoughtful of PJ Fleck to extend an offer to Davon Townley. He looks like like a good fit for the Gophers development program.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom