Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gophers offer Illinois RB Trenten Howland following Junior Day
ByRYAN BURNS Jan 26, 7:29 PM

View attachment 7015

"Today’s experience was not what I had expected coming in," 2021 Illinois running back Trenten Howland said to GopherIllustrated. "When I first arrived at the University they went over the basics of how it is being a Gopher and if you come to the school how easily you will fit in and connect with the coaching staff. By just being there today, I feel like I will fit in just fine with them. They also showed me their weight room, nutrition facilities, film/meeting rooms, locker rooms, recovery/training rooms and the whole football facility where most of the players are at daily."

View attachment 7016
Trenten Howland
  • Joliet, IL (Joliet West)
  • ATH
  • 6-2
  • CLASS OF 21

247Sports Composite 0.8800
  • NATL. NA
  • ATH NA
  • IL NA
"The three Minnesota coaches I talked with most today were head coach PJ Fleck, running back coach Kenni Burns and my recruiting coach Brian Callahan," Howland told GopherIllustrated. "Coach Burns explained to me how good of a player I am and how much more I will improve. Not just as a football player at the University of Minnesota, but how I will also be developed as a young adult into a man. He also explained to me why being a Gopher would be the best fit for me."

Meeting with the head coach was also a highlight for the Illinois running back.

"Coach Fleck discussed with me how he is as a head coach and a person. He kept everything straight forward with me told me what will happened if I was to commit and how he would be basically a second father in a new home. He would take his time to help develop me into a new player/person. He wants me to be the greatest player I can be. We also talked about how good he can help me be outside of football and around in the community. He decided to give me the offer because he said he hears nothing but good things about me and how I carry myself as a person. They offered me strictly as a running back. He knows I’m a outstanding football player, but what got his attention was how humble I am and how I treat myself and others with respect. He also feels I can be a great fit for there team and be that “dude” that will come in and do great things."

Minnesota's now positioned themselves well for the rising running back.

"My dad and sister were with on the visit and they flat out loved it. They were shocked of how unbelievable it was. The highlight for me today was meeting with Coach Fleck. He really caught my attention of how it would be if I was to attend the program. Him explaining how honest he is and how he will go out his way to do anything for the players and staff it made me think of how good it would be for me to call this place family with him being my head coach behind it. After seeing things and earning an offer, I feel like I would fit perfectly at Minnesota and it's definitely the school that has my most interest now. I'll be visiting Michigan State, Iowa and Eastern Michigan soon though."

Sounds like a Howpher to me.

Is it entirely possible that they are recruiting high stars but not necessarily the right talent that fits their system?

I think that is a thing to some extent.

I'm just kinda skeptical of how much that can be a thing.

Like there are some weird roles that really do not use a specific kinda guy, it happens at TE sometimes and so forth. But man there aren't THAT many players who have super specific roles.

At the same time if you're running a system and you've got talented guys and you're not using them ... I gotta think the problem is not "Awe shucks we're just using this system and sucking ... too bad these guys don't fit."

Like whose fault is that and what kinda shitty system is it?

Last edited:

Rivals finally has grades on Eastern and Purcell. Still waiting for 247 to re-evaluate Purcell.

Interesting the Rivals has Purcell rated higher Eastern and 247 is opposite. Love having these guys committed with only 1-2 offers. Now the 10+ months of keeping them in the boat.

Interesting the Rivals has Purcell rated higher Eastern and 247 is opposite. Love having these guys committed with only 1-2 offers. Now the 10+ months of keeping them in the boat.

247 gave Purcell that rating early in the Fall. Remember, it was his first year playing OT. Apparently, he’s going to get a substantial bump in the next few weeks. Trieu was hinting mid to high 80s to start with, and then re-evaluate when they see him in camps. They see a lot of potential in his tape. In other words, we should completely ignore the 80 rating for now.

247 gave Purcell that rating early in the Fall. Remember, it was his first year playing OT. Apparently, he’s going to get a substantial bump in the next few weeks. Trieu was hinting mid to high 80s to start with, and then re-evaluate when they see him in camps. They see a lot of potential in his tape. In other words, we should completely ignore the 80 rating for now.
Yeah, I expect his 247 grade to at least be equal to his Rivals grade when it gets updated.

Eastern is also way too low on Rivals.

We will need to rename our team the University of Illinois

Serious question. You seem to have a real issue with us recruiting out of state players. Do you want the team only to recruit Minnesota guys?

Several guys got FBS D1 offers this week from out of state. There is a RB from the Rochester area that had over 2,000. 210 pounds and runs a 4.5 and is only 16 yo old, lets get a closer look at this athlete.

Several guys got FBS D1 offers this week from out of state. There is a RB from the Rochester area that had over 2,000. 210 pounds and runs a 4.5 and is only 16 yo old, lets get a closer look at this athlete.

You like to talk about the ones we don’t offer. What about other under the radar kids like Eastern and Purcell? This last weekend, there was a kid from a town I’ve never heard of that plays 9 man football. I don’t know if he’ll get an offer, but they’re taking “a look” at him. My guess is they take a “look” at almost every in-state kid who might have a shot at playing at the next level.

I see that Kristoff Kowalkowski kid from TG picked up a Central Michigan offer. Will be interesting to see how his senior season goes.

whats this kids name? I just did a quick google search and found an all area team from the Rochester area and I didn't see any RB that had over 2000 yards rushing noted

Somebody got over 2,000 FBS D1 offers this week? How is that even possible?

Oh, and he doesn't run a 4.5.

Yeah, there's definitely not a 210 LB 4.5 RB in the Rochester area that you are describing.

And if this made-up person is actually real, I would be pretty comfortable betting that our staff has looked at him plenty.

EDIT: dpo beat me to it.

Yeah, there's definitely not a 210 LB 4.5 RB in the Rochester area that you are describing.

And if this made-up person is actually real, I would be pretty comfortable betting that our staff has looked at him plenty.

I mean it is almost like it is their jobs to go out an find the best possible players to come here. Obviously there are guys who get overlooked or missed but if a RB is tearing it up somewhere in state you can bet the staff will at the very least take a look at some of his film.

I mean it is almost like it is their jobs to go out an find the best possible players to come here. Obviously there are guys who get overlooked or missed but if a RB is tearing it up somewhere in state you can bet the staff will at the very least take a look at some of his film.

It is highly unlikely that there are any Big Ten-caliber recruits (regardless of age) in the state of Minnesota who the staff is unaware of. And in the unlikely event that one exists, the way to notify them about this prospect is not by posting about him on an obscure Gophers-themed message board.

It is highly unlikely that there are any Big Ten-caliber recruits (regardless of age) in the state of Minnesota who the staff is unaware of. And in the unlikely event that one exists, the way to notify them about this prospect is not by posting about him on an obscure Gophers-themed message board.

Yep. They might end up being wrong in their evaluation of a player but it is almost never a case of not being aware of them. Especially in a state like Minnesota where the number of legit Power 5 level recruits is very small each year.

The running back is from Stewartville, his QB last year is 6'8" and only participating in basketball next year. There is a 2021 RB/LB from Cambridge that is over 6 feet and runs a sub 11 100 meter.

Is PJ Aware of this travesty?

I see that Kristoff Kowalkowski kid from TG picked up a Central Michigan offer. Will be interesting to see how his senior season goes.
I believe that is his second Div 1 FBS offer and he just turned 16.

Josh Buri is the kids name. And yes the Gophers are looking at him. He visited this past fall. His rivals account shows him on his gophers visit

watching his highlights seems like a nice prospect. But no way is that 4.5 speed im seeing

The running back is from Stewartville, his QB last year is 6'8" and only participating in basketball next year. There is a 2021 RB/LB from Cambridge that is over 6 feet and runs a sub 11 100 meter.
Ok, so you're talking about Josh Buri. I don't know what the big secret is.

Look, the staff is definitely aware of him! He's been on campus and has a picture with a RTB lanyard and in front of a RTB sign and everything! Let's just hope these stupid assholes offer him a full ride, amirite?

vbnvwofnolwqamimuwbn

Look, the staff is definitely aware of him! He's been on campus and has a picture with a RTB lanyard and in front of a RTB sign and everything! Let's just hope these stupid assholes offer him a full ride, amirite?

vbnvwofnolwqamimuwbn
Sign all of them up! What do we have to loose.

vbnvwofnolwqamimuwbn

And look, 247 even has his 40 time at a camp! Is 4.73 the same as 4.5?

I never get how Nebraska and Maryland get such high rated recruiting classes but every year are not very good.

Nebraska's recruiting rankings are actually pretty bad for a school with as much football tradition as they have.

They're considered to be one of the 8 historical powers of CFB. Their talent composite is 24, and Scott Frost isn't doing anything to improve that ranking.

vbnvwofnolwqamimuwbn
Pretty sure we need to offer just on the hair/beard combo alone. Although im pretty sure everyone with think he’s the smallest OL ever.

They did offer that RB Jason Williamson (is that his name?) instate. IIRC, he tore his ACL and was red shirted.

Bring them all on! Every top kid from the state every year. You would double your attendance over time. How many people come to your local high school game without having a connection with someone on the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom