Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wonder, as a kid way out in Arizona, if he can legitimate go to Washington or Oregon and play ... why would he give much thought to going way out to Penn St, Miss St, or Minnesota?

Same for that other kid, that is supposedly a "top target" of ours, right in the core Seattle metro.

I guess I'm just highly provincial in my thinking.

This is a fair thought. If we do start landing these guys, we may have to admit that Fleck really can recruit like we were hoping he could once he has some momentum with the program winning.

I just wonder, as a kid way out in Arizona, if he can legitimate go to Washington or Oregon and play ... why would he give much thought to going way out to Penn St, Miss St, or Minnesota?

Same for that other kid, that is supposedly a "top target" of ours, right in the core Seattle metro.

I guess I'm just highly provincial in my thinking.
It’s not like Oregon and Washington are a short car ride away from home. What’s another hour on the plane?

Just keep winning and knocking off the Auburns of this world. Consistently winning in football will improve recruiting organically.

think its funny all of these 247 crystal balls always said 100% when its not even the top 3 yet

think its funny all of these 247 crystal balls always said 100% when its not even the top 3 yet

It's because people put in discrete predictions, not a confidence level. So if it says 100%, that just means that every prediction is for the same team. They could all only be 51% sure.

We need to set the stage and get a big one. In Coach Fleck we Trust.. Row That Boat

We need to set the stage and get a big one. In Coach Fleck we Trust.. Row That Boat
Alright, you go left, I'll go right and Fleck will go down the middle. We'll corner him in!

Don't need that kind of Gopher we need a stud

Are we beginning to see a little bit of Mike Sanford's influence in recruiting with one kid from Arizona, and the other one from Washington?

Also in the replies:

I really want to get Steven Ortiz. The reason is, I went to junior high in Goodyear/Avondale (mid 80s). I think the 2 towns were combined back then. If I would have stayed there, I would have gone to Agua Fria High in Goodyear/Avondale which is where Randall McDaniel of the Vikings went to high school. Desert Edge was not in existence back then.

Stay at the U and play both sports. Hockey can get by without him until bowl season is over. This kid will be a stud at either sport or both.

Stay at the U and play both sports. Hockey can get by without him until bowl season is over. This kid will be a stud at either sport or both.
I have to assume such a thing would be all but impossible. The sports are far too overlapping in schedule.

And hockey is such a skill based sport. I can't see any way he can maintain, let alone improve, his skills in skating, stickhandling, etc. if he's spending even half of the year on football.

I'm afraid he will need to choose one or the other.

I have to assume such a thing would be all but impossible. The sports are far too overlapping in schedule.

And hockey is such a skill based sport. I can't see any way he can maintain, let alone improve, his skills in skating, stickhandling, etc. if he's spending even half of the year on football.

Yeah, you can't play both hockey and football at the college level. I have never seen Ratzlaff play hockey but he is clearly very good. Have seen him play a lot of football and he can certainly be a difference maker on the football field. Also plays with a mean streak that gets him in trouble from time to time with unnecessary penalties.

To me, if he has a legit shot of making it in the NHL that would seem like the obvious route. Prospects for a long hockey career are far greater then the prospects for a long NFL career. But he clearly has a love for football, so will be interesting to see what he decides to do. Hopefully regardless of which sport he picks, he elects to go to the U.

Maybe the NCAA makes a rule that because it is super hard he can bring his stick to football?

Yeah, you can't play both hockey and football at the college level. I have never seen Ratzlaff play hockey but he is clearly very good. Have seen him play a lot of football and he can certainly be a difference maker on the football field. Also plays with a mean streak that gets him in trouble from time to time with unnecessary penalties.

To me, if he has a legit shot of making it in the NHL that would seem like the obvious route. Prospects for a long hockey career are far greater then the prospects for a long NFL career. But he clearly has a love for football, so will be interesting to see what he decides to do. Hopefully regardless of which sport he picks, he elects to go to the U.
Change your best. Some guy named 'Hobey Baker' played both hockey and football. Is the only person to be in both the CFB HoF and the Hockey HoF.

Change your best. Some guy named 'Hobey Baker' played both hockey and football. Is the only person to be in both the CFB HoF and the Hockey HoF.

Fair enough....although I think the sports landscape has changed a little since the WWI era. :)

($) from Burns.

i-had-fun-once-it-was-awful-56440590.png

Noel Jenke lettered three times in football (captain) and three times in hockey at the U. And he lettered once in baseball, as well. Got drafted in all three sports. 1969 was a long time ago, but still, in the modern era. Maybe Ratzlaff is that kind of athlete? Up to the coaches, really, I guess.

Noel Jenke lettered three times in football (captain) and three times in hockey at the U. And he lettered once in baseball, as well. Got drafted in all three sports. 1969 was a long time ago, but still, in the modern era. Maybe Ratzlaff is that kind of athlete? Up to the coaches, really, I guess.
1969 ain't the modern era of college sports. I get what you're trying to say. But it's just not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom