Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping too. Have to think though that visits aren't going to occur until later though and may slow down the speed of commits that we've gotten to appreciate the last couple years.

Going to be an interesting recruiting cycle for sure. Hopefully things hit a point this summer where we can ease off the restrictions and get official on campus visits going again. Probably won't be a ton of action until that point and then it will go nuts across the country.

Less technically inclined coaches right now:

buttons.jpg

This may have been discussed already, but does a virtual visit count as an official visit? I could see this time changing the landscape of recruiting, and those like PJ Fleck, would be out front in terms of reaching athletes on a whole different level. I actually like our odds if the virtual things continues for sometime. Thoughts?

This may have been discussed already, but does a virtual visit count as an official visit? I could see this time changing the landscape of recruiting, and those like PJ Fleck, would be out front in terms of reaching athletes on a whole different level. I actually like our odds if the virtual things continues for sometime. Thoughts?
I doubt it would.

Official visits are pretty clearly defined things IIRC, and a virtual one would not qualify.

I doubt it would.

Official visits are pretty clearly defined things IIRC, and a virtual one would not qualify.

Virtual visits have been around for a while they are just getting more notice now due to what is going on in the country. If it was considered anything it might fall under the unofficial category.

I doubt it would.

Agree. In normal times, no one would dare suggest replacing a real, official (paid for) in-person visit with a virtual visit. You'd get laughed out of the house. These are clearly not normal times.

Not sure if it's been posted in this thread but on the latest GopherGridiron Radio Ryan Burns talked a bit about the virtual visits. Apparently Fleck was ahead of the game with these and they've been well put together and well received. Hopefully, those visits will play a part in strengthening interest and securing commitments when prospects can actually visit campus.

Not sure if it's been posted in this thread but on the latest GopherGridiron Radio Ryan Burns talked a bit about the virtual visits. Apparently Fleck was ahead of the game with these and they've been well put together and well received. Hopefully, those visits will play a part in strengthening interest and securing commitments when prospects can actually visit campus.
Not surprising that he's turned this into a positive for the program. Elite as always.

As Fleck mentioned in his video last week, turning negative situations into opportunities is something that I see as his strength. The only chance that Minnesota has at keeping an elite level is doing things that others either wont or can not do. Flecks creativity is something that will keep our program moving in the right direction.

With that being said, how important is it to get our fan base part of the social media movement? Getting the masses involved in the pushing of the "Row the Boat" mantra and making the Gophers a national presence? Example is Gov. Walz using the slogan in his speech the other week. How huge is that for the program!?!?!

As Fleck mentioned in his video last week, turning negative situations into opportunities is something that I see as his strength. The only chance that Minnesota has at keeping an elite level is doing things that others either wont or can not do. Flecks creativity is something that will keep our program moving in the right direction.

With that being said, how important is it to get our fan base part of the social media movement? Getting the masses involved in the pushing of the "Row the Boat" mantra and making the Gophers a national presence? Example is Gov. Walz using the slogan in his speech the other week. How huge is that for the program!?!?!

I don't know that fanbase interaction is likely to play a huge role in recruiting but certainly can't hurt when recruits can see an obvious buzz around the program.

Also in the replies:

Ortiz really seems to have a lot of Gophers stuff all over his Twitter and also reacts to a lot of the Gopher recruiting media posted by other guys. I certainly think he is a strong MN lean. If he committed, would be the 2nd highest ranked commit in the Fleck era.

Ortiz really seems to have a lot of Gophers stuff all over his Twitter and also reacts to a lot of the Gopher recruiting media posted by other guys. I certainly think he is a strong MN lean. If he committed, would be the 2nd highest ranked commit in the Fleck era.

Can't remember the last time we got someone from Arizona.

Looks like Ortiz is announcing his top 5 tonight at 8:00.

Made Ortiz' Top 5 as well (Washington, Miss State, Penn State, and Oregon)

Remember, many of these kids are bored and doing virtual tours.

Once they can get back out, and take actual visits, many will re-evaluate and go somewhere else.

I'm taking commitments right now with a grain of salt.

Remember, many of these kids are bored and doing virtual tours.

Once they can get back out, and take actual visits, many will re-evaluate and go somewhere else.

I'm taking commitments right now with a grain of salt.
I wouldn’t put zero stock in them. I’m guessing most stick actually.

Made Ortiz' Top 5 as well (Washington, Miss State, Penn State, and Oregon)
I just wonder, as a kid way out in Arizona, if he can legitimate go to Washington or Oregon and play ... why would he give much thought to going way out to Penn St, Miss St, or Minnesota?

Same for that other kid, that is supposedly a "top target" of ours, right in the core Seattle metro.

I guess I'm just highly provincial in my thinking.

It's super early yet, recruiting rankings are a crap shoot, some of these guys could flip or have grade problems, etc. However, I can't help but notice that all 6 of the 2021 verbals are currently rated in the top 700 nationally by 247.

In last year's class of 24, only 6 ended up ranking in the top 700 (Jackson, Brown, Joyner, Thomas, Burns, Mann). Everyone else (starting with Emilien at 708), ranked outside the top 700. Anybody else find that interesting?

It's super early yet, recruiting rankings are a crap shoot, some of these guys could flip or have grade problems, etc. However, I can't help but notice that all 6 of the 2021 verbals are currently rated in the top 700 nationally by 247.

In last year's class of 24, only 6 ended up ranking in the top 700 (Jackson, Brown, Joyner, Thomas, Burns, Mann). Everyone else (starting with Emilien at 708), ranked outside the top 700. Anybody else find that interesting?
I noticed that too, but if you look at the ratings instead of the rankings, a lot of these guys are pretty similar to the guys we were getting last year - the scores of 85.67 for Eastern and Boyd would have put them in the 900s for rankings based off of the guys we had last year rather than 600s as they are now.

I don't think that there really is a difference between a guy ranked 700 and 900, but I think that a lot of the current guys will fall a bit in ranking as more guys get ranked during their senior years. Thrilled with the guys we're getting, regardless of whether their ranking falls a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom