Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

We need another 2021 commitment and soon. Only chance of getting this thread back on track since the Geers commitment already has a few other threads about it. :)

I'm not angry at all, just annoyed and you and posters like you coming on here to pimp out your son/nephew/friend/classmate/etc. No one who makes decisions for the Gophers reads these boards. If you really want to help your son out, build relationships with the coaching staff and get your son's materials over to them.

giphy.gif

Not your kid, and yet almost every post you have is about him. Yes, we all believe you.

And I never said he wasn't worthy of Division I offers. There is a tremendous difference between the bottom of Division I and the Big Ten. He's not going to play for the Gophers, unless he wants to walk on. Get over it.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, but congratulations to him. And you would totally be in a position to know this if you aren't his father. Totally.

In the Big Ten? Go ahead - you would lose virtually every game. There's a reason he didn't get scholarship offers and walked on at Stanford. I'm sure he is very smart (he's going to Stanford), but that alone won't win you football games.

St. John's would get annihilated in every single game if they played in the Big Ten. They no longer even compete nationally at their own level. If I'm coaching football for the University of Minnesota and recruiting to fill out my roster, I could not care less what type of player attends St. John's. Those players are not worth my time.

I believe you are wrong. As posted above from Stanford's own website, he did not see the field. How would he get recognized as a special teams player if he literally did not play a down?

With respect to the bolded: Huh?

In 2018 St. John's made it to the national semifinal game, and Erdmann won the Gagliardi trophy. In 2019, they again made it to the national semifinals, and had a kid invited to play in the Senior Bowl.

St. John's hasn't had any recent trouble competing well nationally at the D3 level.
I'm not angry at all, just annoyed and you and posters like you coming on here to pimp out your son/nephew/friend/classmate/etc. No one who makes decisions for the Gophers reads these boards. If you really want to help your son out, build relationships with the coaching staff and get your son's materials over to them.

giphy.gif

Not your kid, and yet almost every post you have is about him. Yes, we all believe you.

And I never said he wasn't worthy of Division I offers. There is a tremendous difference between the bottom of Division I and the Big Ten. He's not going to play for the Gophers, unless he wants to walk on. Get over it.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, but congratulations to him. And you would totally be in a position to know this if you aren't his father. Totally.

In the Big Ten? Go ahead - you would lose virtually every game. There's a reason he didn't get scholarship offers and walked on at Stanford. I'm sure he is very smart (he's going to Stanford), but that alone won't win you football games.

St. John's would get annihilated in every single game if they played in the Big Ten. They no longer even compete nationally at their own level. If I'm coaching football for the University of Minnesota and recruiting to fill out my roster, I could not care less what type of player attends St. John's. Those players are not worth my time.

I believe you are wrong. As posted above from Stanford's own website, he did not see the field. How would he get recognized as a special teams player if he literally did not play a down?

In 2018, St. John's made it to the national semifinals, and Erdmann won the Gagliardi Trophy. In 2019, they again made it to the national semifinals, and they had a lineman invited to play in the Senior Bowl.

SJU's recent performance at the national D3 level has been elite.

Is that true?

Not arguing just wondering.
Fair point. When I go back in history to the February date signing only, it seems like we would have 0 or 1 person committed for the following year at the time of the signing date. Perhaps its my imagination paying closer attention with Fleck on board.

Fair point. When I go back in history to the February date signing only, it seems like we would have 0 or 1 person committed for the following year at the time of the signing date. Perhaps its my imagination paying closer attention with Fleck on board.
That's fine.

Crooting is a mystery to me. I'm just looking for any sign that we're seeing improvement in terms of the more quantifiable stuff.

Is that true?

I think with earlier signing day, we're seeing more movement for next years class earlier. To the actual numbers/times I don't have any evidence, just speculating based on new scenarios

Not necessarily in the same class- and especially when you already may have 3+ QBs on the depth chart
Same with RB/TE - we likely are only taking one of each this class given our existing depth at each position. If you know that ahead of time, you can use it as a closing tactic on a recruit you really want.

I do recall a number of years where we were waiting until very late in the cycle before our first commitments would come on board. Always worked out fine in the end but we definitely did not have a lot of guys rushing to commit most years.

In 2018 St. John's made it to the national semifinal game, and Erdmann won the Gagliardi trophy. In 2019, they again made it to the national semifinals, and had a kid invited to play in the Senior Bowl.

St. John's hasn't had any recent trouble competing well nationally at the D3 level.

In 2018, St. John's made it to the national semifinals, and Erdmann won the Gagliardi Trophy. In 2019, they again made it to the national semifinals, and they had a lineman invited to play in the Senior Bowl.

Isn’t St Johns best player from out of state?

It's a continuation of a long pattern for dp - he does whatever he can to burnish his reputation, regardless of whether what he's saying is true or not. I probably wouldn't have even posted this and chalked it up as a mistake if it weren't the umpteenth time he's done this. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Ray, thanks for the correction. I don't follow D3 football much, but I do know that SJU had a few lean years at the end of Gagliardi's tenure and at the beginning of Fasching's. I erroneously assumed that was still ongoing - that's what I get for not checking my facts before I post!

Close...lineman invited NOT to play in the Senior Bowl but rather to observe etc. About 150 guys like this.

Close...lineman invited NOT to play in the Senior Bowl but rather to observe etc. About 150 guys like this.

Depends on if you consider Erdmann or Bartsch. But Ben Bartsch was invited to play, not just observe, at the Senior Bowl. He got hurt during practice so he didnt get to play.

Bartsch is listed under OG, rather than OT.

Depends on if you consider Erdmann or Bartsch. But Ben Bartsch was invited to play, not just observe, at the Senior Bowl. He got hurt during practice so he didnt get to play.

Bartsch is listed under OG, rather than OT.
In the game the announcers talked about him and how well he did holding his own against the "big boys" and how he represented himself well.

Is that true?

The last couple coaches got a high percentage of their recruits in Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb signing day, usually with the first recruit perhaps in June-July. Fleck gets his first recruit more than a year in advance and the class will be pretty complete in June when they all do their officials. Fleck's time line is months and months ahead of the last couple of coaches and he signs them all in December.

The last couple coaches got a high percentage of their recruits in Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb signing day, usually with the first recruit perhaps in June-July. Fleck gets his first recruit more than a year in advance and the class will be pretty complete in June when they all do their officials. Fleck's time line is months and months ahead of the last couple of coaches and he signs them all in December.

Ultimately, both methods could work.
Fleck's method is safer in that you have your class full and know what you have. But then you either have to cut kids from your class (which could come back to haunt you if word gets out that you don't honor your offers) if you find someone better or you just have to stick with what you have.
Kill's method was safer in the sense that it gave you more time to evaluate but also the risk being it gave recruits time to shop around.

I'm a little surprised our recruiting rankings haven't been higher under Fleck, but if we keep winning 11 games a year, no one will really care.

Fleck's method is safer in that you have your class full and know what you have. But then you either have to cut kids from your class (which could come back to haunt you if word gets out that you don't honor your offers) if you find someone better or you just have to stick with what you have.
Kill's method was safer in the sense that it gave you more time to evaluate but also the risk being it gave recruits time to shop around.

I'm a little surprised our recruiting rankings haven't been higher under Fleck, but if we keep winning 11 games a year, no one will really care.

We are still far away, colder and many recruits don't want to behave the way Fleck demands. But you are right, winning helps recruiting in the long run.

It isn't going to happen overnight but the rankings are trending in the right direction and the average class ranking has gone up quite a bit from what the previous staff was bringing in. But those numbers take a back seat to other factors in my mind.

In just 3 years Fleck has already recruited perhaps the best QB and WR EVER (they are not there yet but Morgan and Bateman could both do it) to play at the University of Minnesota. The exposure the program got this past season will pay huge dividends in recruiting down the line and the 2021 class is already shaping up really nicely.

People get too wrapped up in the stars and recruit rankings. It is more about finding the right players then it is about finding the highest rated ones. All you have to do is look at the offense and you can see a significant improvement in the caliber of players we have. In 2020 we get to find out if the same thing is happening on defense. I feel very confident that Fleck will be able to continue this upward trend.

TommyBoy's kid is top priority

Has TommyBoy been offered a job

They have been higher under Fleck. 47 on average for Fleck, not including 2020 and including his first year, which makes it worse. 61 for Kill including his first year and not including the one finished by Claeys, which makes his look worse, but also consider Kill's 3rd class was rated lower than his first class. Another thing to consider with Kill is that other than Tommy Olson, his highest rated recruit ended up contributing very little every year. Fleck has already hit with Andries and Dunlap, and Nubin is likely a big contributor this year.

Has TommyBoy been offered a job

They have been higher under Fleck. 47 on average for Fleck, not including 2020 and including his first year, which makes it worse. 61 for Kill including his first year and not including the one finished by Claeys, which makes his look worse, but also consider Kill's 3rd class was rated lower than his first class. Another thing to consider with Kill is that other than Tommy Olson, his highest rated recruit ended up contributing very little every year. Fleck has already hit with Andries and Dunlap, and Nubin is likely a big contributor this year.
I didn't mean they weren't higher than Kill's. I just thought they would be higher than they have been with Fleck's reputation as a recruiter. Like I said before - doesn't really matter as long as we win.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom