Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigan is like the # 2-3 attendance in the country at the level of Ohio their coach grew up and played for the team.
NW has been at the level of Minnesota for years and is an Academic School, their running back and receiver are from Minnesota. Their coach played for the team and is a lifer.
Nebraska we lost a few of our boys to them, games are sold out for decades, nothing else for those poor souls do do. Their coach played and is a lifer.

We offered those guys and they chose to go elsewhere so what's your point? Clearly our coaches knew about them. In addition, Fleck doesn't have enough time to go hunt down guys everywhere. There are 21,000 high schools in the country. He needs to be as efficient as possible. Minnesota doesn't produce as many players because we have hockey which takes away some of the best athletes in the pool. We don't play as many months as they do in the south so our players are less prepared when they enroll. We can't take 'em all because we are only allowed to give out 85 scholarships. Tens of thousands of fans go to the games to watch the gophers win. A few hundred go to watch someone they know play. Quit hijacking this board. You are wrong and you are annoying everyone.

Why does it matter?
Because having some good recruits commit can bring others in. Coughlin recruited others as did Annexstad also did. Many of the top teams have many recruits relatively early. A few years ago it seemed like we were scrambling the two months before signing day looking at the leftovers.

He brought up Morgan as being recruited by the same schools the TG is. First off, Morgan had Louisville and Wake Forest offers. In addition, I’ve been told by someone who would know that he didn’t go around to a bunch of camps collecting offers, otherwise he would have had more. I’m not suggesting he was highly recruited, but he was viewed as a better prospect than this TG QB. Maybe he’ll go to C. Michigan and be a stud....play in the NFL, and break all of Brees’ records. As of now, the reality is he’s not viewed as a viable P5 QB
Once again not to dwell on the QB, I was using him as an example of Minnesota athletes. Once again you want to compare apples and oranges. You are comparing Morgan who transferred to a different high school so he would get more passing yards in high school to a kid that just turned 16 that physically bigger and faster then he is as a red shirt Junior. Who decided on on a program that is known for running the ball and academics. What did Morgan look like at 16? Probably under 6 feet and running a 5.2 forty. Kramer his back up weighed 160 pounds and was 5'10 at 16. So if you can predict which ones will be the best QB in the Big10 they should hire you as a recruiter.

Once again not to dwell on the QB, I was using him as an example of Minnesota athletes. Once again you want to compare apples and oranges. You are comparing Morgan who transferred to a different high school so he would get more passing yards in high school to a kid that just turned 16 that physically bigger and faster then he is as a red shirt Junior. Who decided on on a program that is known for running the ball and academics. What did Morgan look like at 16? Probably under 6 feet and running a 5.2 forty. Kramer his back up weighed 160 pounds and was 5'10 at 16. So if you can predict which ones will be the best QB in the Big10 they should hire you as a recruiter.

I have no idea why he transferred to a different high school, but I’ll bet I could find out. Anyway, he passed for nearly 5000 yards and 56 TDs in 9th and 10th grade, which is close to what he did at Ryle as a Junior and Senior. I recall hearing that the Ryle team stunk before he got there, but I don’t know all of the details.

Because having some good recruits commit can bring others in. Coughlin recruited others as did Annexstad also did.

You can also fill up your class too early and not have room left when higher-rated prospects show interest late in the cycle. Every year, we have recruits showing interest in September-November and people say, "Who are we going to cut from our class to make room for this player?" It works both ways.

Many of the top teams have many recruits relatively early.

Many of the top teams have many recruits commit relatively late.

A few years ago it seemed like we were scrambling the two months before signing day looking at the leftovers.

It doesn't really matter when it "seemed" like, the actual truth is that Kill whenever possible preferred to seek commits from players after they played their senior seasons, in order to gather as much data as possible, confirm previous evaluations, and get in on players who matured later and blew up during their senior seasons. We weren't "looking at the leftovers." Many of our best commits during the Kill era committed in the December-February time frame.

You can also fill up your class too early and not have room left when higher-rated prospects show interest late in the cycle. Every year, we have recruits showing interest in September-November and people say, "Who are we going to cut from our class to make room for this player?" It works both ways.

Many of the top teams have many recruits commit relatively late.

It doesn't really matter when it "seemed" like, the actual truth is that Kill whenever possible preferred to seek commits from players after they played their senior seasons, in order to gather as much data as possible, confirm previous evaluations, and get in on players who matured later and blew up during their senior seasons. We weren't "looking at the leftovers." Many of our best commits during the Kill era committed in the December-February time frame.

It’s not a great method if that truly is what Kill focused on.

The TG qb doesn’t look faster than TM to me.

I have no idea why he transferred to a different high school, but I’ll bet I could find out. Anyway, he passed for nearly 5000 yards and 56 TDs in 9th and 10th grade, which is close to what he did at Ryle as a Junior and Senior. I recall hearing that the Ryle team stunk before he got there, but I don’t know all of the details.

He moved to Hazard because of an illness in the family iirc, and then transferred back to Union which is where he was from.

Bob we are talking about teenage kids playing a high school sports, don't get so mad. Does your kid play for Spring lake Park?

I'm not mad at all. I am like 85% certain I don't have a kid playing for Spring Lake Park. But if I do, the U better frickin' sign him.

Something positive to get this thread back on track from Tommyboy's unhinged ramblings.

Geers looks like a great pickup and probably bodes well for the throw to the TE crowd if he is coming here :)
Trying to find a thread where someone hasn't gotten unhinged is very difficult. TommyBoy here Dpo there.

This looks like a nice pickup and someone who has bought into what the coaches are selling early on.

That would seem like a strange promise for a coach to make considering PJ makes it known his job is to croot ... guys better than you.

I think it is fairly common for high profile positions like QB and RB to tell a kid you are only going to take one that year, especially QB.

The new TE looks athletic, but Ford-Spanford is a stud.

Come on man, at least get the name right. Brevyn Spann-Ford hasn't had an opportunity to prove he is a stud yet in the passing game, but that could very well change in 2020 if the new OC uses the TE more.

Sure you are OK with the new kid? I mean he is from Illinois after all.

Brevyn Span-Ford will be a stud if he is allowed to catch some balls, great hands.

What's your sense of the 2021 recruiting priority after the guys that have already committed?

Not to go all DPO on the bit but you are right about the 2 "n"s in his name but not the placement. They go with his last name not his first. Brevyn Spann-Ford
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom