Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

With McGill moving to the 2021 class and Kaliakmanis committed how many receivers are we going to take? The Greens and Smith would make five if it happens. With a small class something has to give.
I don't think Kaliakmanis is set in stone. I recall reading an article that was published after he and his brother committed that Fleck & Co. told him that they want him as a player but don't know exactly where he will play.

Some of those WR could end up playing DB. But I am all for bringing in as many talented athletes as we can.
I say bulk em up and turn them into OL. Think of the footwork they would have.

Yeah my assumption on what seems like a lot of WRs is that some will move around to other positions as time goes on and competition shakes out.
We took 3 WRs. Does anyone think that’s a lot?

My guess is a few of the younger WRs on the roster, who haven't played much, aren't quite what the staff thought they could be.
We have 2 that have been injured most of their careers- Erik Gibson and Jornell Manns. Both may never play again. TJ just graduated and Bateman is almost guaranteed to be gone after next season. It made all the sense in the world to recruit 3 WRs this year.

We have 2 that have been injured most of their careers- Erik Gibson and Jornell Manns. Both may never play again. TJ just graduated and Bateman is almost guaranteed to be gone after next season. It made all the sense in the world to recruit 3 WRs this year.

Gibson and Manns were the ones I was getting at. 3 made sense this year. This is discussing taking 4 or 5 more with the Green brothers in 21.

This would be a steal.. we need all the top tier linebackers we can get. Currently Penn State and Michigan are seen as favorites for him.
I'm all for better players, but we seem to typically play just two linebackers in our base 4-2-5. We need as many defensive backs as possible.

I'm all for better players, but we seem to typically play just two linebackers in our base 4-2-5. We need as many defensive backs as possible.

While I agree with this, our 4-2-5 defense does put a ton of pressure on those 2 LBers to be fantastic in space..

per Sid:

• P.J. Fleck and the Gophers football coaching staff is once again out getting early recruiting commitments, with five for the 2021 class already. They rank 13th in the nation, according to 247 Sports. Their top recruit is Athan Kaliakmanis, a quarterback out of Illinois.

Go Gophers!!

We took 3 WRs. Does anyone think that’s a lot?
Don’t think anyone is complaining about taking 3 this year. Think people are concerned about the APPEARANCE that we’re investing heavily in the position for the 2021 class which may lead to having disproportionate resources budgeted there. After this coming season we’ll still have 9 scholarships (11% of the 82 non special teams scholarships) assigned to WR (not including the Mann you refer to). Given that we probably average 2.5 WR on the field (11.4% of off and def positions) it would appear that signing a bevy of WR for 2021 may be excessive.

While I agree with this, our 4-2-5 defense does put a ton of pressure on those 2 LBers to be fantastic in space..
also will be interesting to see based upon personnel if we continue to do that given we had Winfield who was a very solid tackler out there as one of those 5, which gives you a little more freedom (as well as Williamson, who was also a relatively sure tackler)

per Sid:

• P.J. Fleck and the Gophers football coaching staff is once again out getting early recruiting commitments, with five for the 2021 class already. They rank 13th in the nation, according to 247 Sports. Their top recruit is Athan Kaliakmanis, a quarterback out of Illinois.

Go Gophers!!
Don’t trade Brusdar Graterol you idiots.

Don’t think anyone is complaining about taking 3 this year. Think people are concerned about the APPEARANCE that we’re investing heavily in the position for the 2021 class which may lead to having disproportionate resources budgeted there. After this coming season we’ll still have 9 scholarships (11% of the 82 non special teams scholarships) assigned to WR (not including the Mann you refer to). Given that we probably average 2.5 WR on the field (11.4% of off and def positions) it would appear that signing a bevy of WR for 2021 may be excessive.
How are we investing heavily at WR despite needing 3 in this class? We only have one commit, Dino K., who may or may not end up as a WR, so I would imagine the staff would take at least 2 if not 3 in addition to him.

How are we investing heavily at WR despite needing 3 in this class? We only have one commit, Dino K., who may or may not end up as a WR, so I would imagine the staff would take at least 2 if not 3 in addition to him.
My theory is that the staff over recruits the WR position believing that players who don't play at that position are more likely to transfer. This allows us to have the best WR we possibly could through attrition. Eventually I may analyze to the transfer market to see if WR transfer at a higher rate than other positions.

I said the appearance of investing heavily with some counting as many as 5 recruits being wooed. Do I think they’ll pick 5- no, or at least I hope not. If they take 3 they’ll have 12 scholarship WR on the roster for the 2021 season barring attrition (which is certainly possible)- meaning nearly 15% of non-ST scholarships would be used for WR. I can see how that may be interpreted as excessive.

My theory is that the staff over recruits the WR position believing that players who don't play at that position are more likely to transfer. This allows us to have the best WR we possibly could through attrition. Eventually I may analyze to the transfer market to see if WR transfer at a higher rate than other positions.
[/
I said the appearance of investing heavily with some counting as many as 5 recruits being wooed. Do I think they’ll pick 5- no, or at least I hope not. If they take 3 they’ll have 12 scholarship WR on the roster for the 2021 season barring attrition (which is certainly possible)- meaning nearly 15% of non-ST scholarships would be used for WR. I can see how that may be interpreted as excessive.
What appearance of investing heavily? If we want 3 commits, we will probably have to offer around 20 recruits. There is a chance that Gibson and Manns won’t ever play again, and Bateman, Green and Geary are gone after next season. The WR room isn’t as big as you are imagining it to be.

Valid point on #offers doesn’t reflect the number we intend on taking- however would appear we have the inside track on the Seth’s brothers and have DK and McGill committed. Jornell Manns (later became Brooks) isn’t on the roster of scholarships anymore- only Jonathan Mann the 2020 signee who to the best of my knowledge isn’t out of commission. If Gibson never plays again we’ll still have 8 scholarship WR plus the 2-4 listed above. Sure, lots may/will happen between now and December, but this is a board to discuss these issues. Let me just throw out a question to the group- what’s an ideal number of scholarships to use on WR with an offense like ours?

I've always thought 2 to 3 defensive tackles a class was a must. I have been wrong before.

Valid point on #offers doesn’t reflect the number we intend on taking- however would appear we have the inside track on the Seth’s brothers and have DK and McGill committed. Jornell Manns (later became Brooks) isn’t on the roster of scholarships anymore- only Jonathan Mann the 2020 signee who to the best of my knowledge isn’t out of commission. If Gibson never plays again we’ll still have 8 scholarship WR plus the 2-4 listed above. Sure, lots may/will happen between now and December, but this is a board to discuss these issues. Let me just throw out a question to the group- what’s an ideal number of scholarships to use on WR with an offense like ours?

I just picked a year...2014 since the Gophers had a good year that season.

Gophers weren't exactly known to have an explosive passing game then. I see 19 WR in total and looking at the names I'm counting at least 12 scholarship WR (someone can look at the walk-on status of the others).

Current numbers seem within reason.

“Jornell Manns (later became Brooks) isn’t on the roster of scholarships anymore-“

Where do you see this?

Interesting- not listed on the 247 scholarship grid any longer.

I would assume at some point in the fairly near future gophersports will update the site to reflect a 2020 roster and maybe he won't be on that one if he is in fact gone. Not sure how they have handled it in the past.

That said, the guys that have transferred or entered the portal have all been removed from the 2019 roster on there so would assume that is pretty up to date in terms of player movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom