Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I wasn't assuming we would rely on a true freshman? if we do lose all 3 of them we would be extremely thin as far as bodies go at the position. We would still have guadet(who I think the coaches are extremely high on) and then the freshman we have coming in this year. but we would still need to add guys.
Seems like PJ is keen on taking Grad Transfers from P5 that have 2+ seasons left.

I guess that’s the new JUCO.

I guess I wasn't assuming we would rely on a true freshman? if we do lose all 3 of them we would be extremely thin as far as bodies go at the position. We would still have guadet(who I think the coaches are extremely high on) and then the freshman we have coming in this year. but we would still need to add guys.

Will feely admit I have no idea how good any of these guys will be but you are writing off quite a few players if you think all we really have is Guadet and the 3 incoming 2020 guys on the O-Line in the pipeline.

So while I agree recruiting O-Line will probably be a priority for 2021 we do have at least 6 other lineman on the roster that could work into a starting role at some point.

Beier, Ruschmeyer, Boe, Sassack, Smith and Cooper. Add Guadet and the 3 - 2020 guys and that leaves 10 guys beyond the returning starters to fill out the 5 spots.

Most O-Lineman need a few years to get to the point where they are truly ready to compete so we should find out a lot about the guys listed above in the next few seasons though hopefully the starters will all stay healthy and we won't need to rely on those guys for a while longer.

Will feely admit I have no idea how good any of these guys will be but you are writing off quite a few players if you think all we really have is Guadet and the 3 incoming 2020 guys on the O-Line in the pipeline.

So while I agree recruiting O-Line will probably be a priority for 2021 we do have at least 6 other lineman on the roster that could work into a starting role at some point.

Beier, Ruschmeyer, Boe, Sassack, Smith and Cooper. Add Guadet and the 3 - 2020 guys and that leaves 10 guys beyond the returning starters to fill out the 5 spots.

Most O-Lineman need a few years to get to the point where they are truly ready to compete so we should find out a lot about the guys listed above in the next few seasons though hopefully the starters will all stay healthy and we won't need to rely on those guys for a while longer.

Just a heads up that Sassack medically retired last week.

Sassack just medically retired.

Beier and Boe are interior OL. I would guess likely the same for Ruschmeyer (PWO in 2017) and Smith (PWO in 2019). All four are 6'4" on the gs.com roster, a bit short for tackle.

Cooper could play tackle potentially at 6'5". Would be similar to Josh Campion. But again might be better suited to interior.

Unless we get some transfers ... it will indeed be Guedet and the incoming 2020 guys who will be tasked with holding down the fort at tackle in 2021.

of course please correct me if im wrong....but Beier, Ruschmeyer, Boe, Smith, & Cooper are all interior guys correct? I wasn't writing any of those guys off.....I was more looking at the tackle position. and of course maybe 1 or 2 of those guys can move out to tackle as well

either way its always good to have depth along the Oline.

Beier and Boe are interior OL. I would guess likely the same for Ruschmeyer (PWO in 2017) and Smith (PWO in 2019). All four are 6'4" on the gs.com roster, a bit short for tackle.

Cooper could play tackle potentially at 6'5". Would be similar to Josh Campion. But again might be better suited to interior.

Unless we get some transfers ... it will indeed be Guedet and the incoming 2020 guys who will be tasked with holding down the fort at tackle in 2021.

you and I are looking at it the same way I see!

We got by this season with only 6 starters on OL, and even JMS didn't start until later in the season.

Iowa and later in the game vs Wisc, we only had 5.

More depth would be more ideal.

I know he has played both inside and outside but Andries would seem like a good bet to lock down one of the Tackle spots in 2021 if we have numbers on the interior but not outside. Also, we are all working on the assumption that Faalele will go pro after this year due to his size but I don't know that it is a slam dunk. He is still really new to football and may decide another year of college is in his best interests before jumping to the NFL. So it is entirely possible that we will have 2 starting tackles coming back in 2021.

But I fully agree that more depth is always a good thing along the O-Line.

I know he has played both inside and outside but Andries would seem like a good bet to lock down one of the Tackle spots in 2021 if we have numbers on the interior but not outside. Also, we are all working on the assumption that Faalele will go pro after this year due to his size but I don't know that it is a slam dunk. He is still really new to football and may decide another year of college is in his best interests before jumping to the NFL. So it is entirely possible that we will have 2 starting tackles coming back in 2021.

But I fully agree that more depth is always a good thing along the O-Line.
Two very good points!

Andries could play tackle, he has done it and did it this year vs Wisc when we lost big Dan.

Nonetheless, this is probably going to be the best potential starting OL we can have for 2021:
LT - Guedet - RSo (**taking a wild guess here)
LG - Andries - RSr
C - JMS - RSr
RG - Dunlap - RJr
RT - Faalele - Sr

Two very good points!

Andries could play tackle, he has done it and did it this year vs Wisc when we lost big Dan.

Nonetheless, this is probably going to be the best potential starting OL we can have for 2021:
LT - Guedet - RSo (**taking a wild guess here)
LG - Andries - RSr
C - JMS - RSr
RG - Dunlap - RJr
RT - Faalele - Sr
Who do you think would be good for 2020? I realize that this is a 2021 recruiting thread. Perhaps we need to get back to this.

based purely on this year, Faalele may very well need the additional year to get it together. He's not there yet so supposing purely based on his size and measurables is a bit of a leap at this point to me

based purely on this year, Faalele may very well need the additional year to get it together. He's not there yet so supposing purely based on his size and measurables is a bit of a leap at this point to me
Exactly. Nothing he did from a talent perspective points to him being on the radar as a high round pick following next season. His size will get him drafted regardless, but two more seasons of refining his technique will probably land him a much higher draft pick/contract.

Iowa had 21 OLs on their 2019 roster.

2021 will not be a full class. On offense we will only have 2 seniors, Schlueter and Olson. We probably end up losing Bateman as well, so 3 total.
Defense will lose MDT, Schad, Durr, and Thomas. I’m forgetting a few others, but those are the guys that have played the most.

I'm confused, we have 12 seniors next year, 7 on offense

This is the 3-4 time already and many more hijacks to come in this thread!
My apologies to you. I think it is related to OL recruiting and how the roster looks like now, and future implications on roster adjustments due to attrition. I feel the OL is very critical to the entire offensive effort.

So, l feel it's relevant rather than starting a whole new thread.

We have a lot of inside OL coming up. I think you could see Blaise Andries (6'6"/325) move over to tackle for a year after SS is gone. He has played some tackle this year (including Auburn game), and does it well. Might also see Dunlap move to tackle, if needed. He is 6'5" but is supposed to be most athletic of the OL. We have Guedet, and recruited a big tackle in the 2019 class. That said, it would be nice to find a blue chip tackle in 2020 recruiting class.

Anyone hearing anything on targets we are in on? I know Jameson Geers and the Green brothers have visited a little more recently I believe, but haven't heard anything else. Would think we would have a solid chance to get one soon based on history.

I think spring is when things pick up...usually June is where we see a lot of verbals.

if we truly are taking less players in this cycle I would assume we are going to slow play this a little bit. We may drag our feet just a little more while waiting on high ranked guys to get them on campus or get them in camp and such

We got a crystal ball for OT Cameron James from Allen Trieu. CB Jimmy Wyrick from Texas is probably someone to keep an eye on as well. Hes a Minnesota legacy. Joe Alt from Totino Grace has been mentioned...believe he’s an Iowa legacy with them looking an early favorite. Outside of that, not a ton of buzz. I’m sure we’ll start seeing visitors in the coming months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom